Electric fan Help

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2006, 10:16 PM

Electric fan Help

OK I bought an electric fan for the Delta 88 (1985 307 "Y" motor)

I bought a "pusher" fan. I figured since the mechinal fan pushed air into the rad from the engine side, a pusher fan would do the trick. I ordered it and it's on the way, but I'm now hearing that a "pusher" should be used in conjunction with a mech fan, and mounted on the outside of the engine bay.

I wanted to totally replace the mech fan with this electric one. Can I still replace the fan totally and just mount the electric fan on the outside on the engine bay?
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Yeah I messed up, I should have ordered the puller fan, since they work better.

I'll just have to send the other one back and order a different one
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Past Administrator

Right, puller fan, and use the fan shroud if at all possible. You may find clearance issues, or you may not, it depends. Good luck!
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:03 AM

just some info

I have a freind localy that will sell me a double fan setup for 35$ i just pick it out of his warehouse. They are used fans out of cars. I f u are interested let me know.
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I went to Pick N Pull with my measuring tape and found the twin fan and shroud setup from an LS-1 Camaro fits all but about a 1/2 inch all around on mine. A few Aggie mounting brackets, relays and a Painless 185 degree electric switch later, I'm in bidness.

Look around the yards...you might find something to fit yours real close, if not perfectly.

C.J.
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:22 PM

I'm think I'm going to be good with clearance, but I found another problem. CFM ratings?

The fan I'm going to return is 1610 CFM. A 2500 CFM is the same price, so I'm going to get that one instead, but a web page said a V8 should have at least 2750 CFM fan (or fans) on it.

I'll be good with a 2500 CFM fan, right?
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Past Administrator

Well, remember that all those recommendations are just that. But a difference of 250 may make a difference. Remember in the "OLD DAYS" when we would replace the clutch fan with a multi blade or a flex fan and never even worry about cfm ratings? Oh well, this one is a jump call for you unless someone has had some specific experience in this matter. I mounted a puller from a little Hyundai car and used a 180* switch on my '69 Delta with a 455 engine and it seemed to do well. My water temperature gauge would always go up to 210* but I think that was more of a problem with the gauge as the car didn't behave abnormally and the fan would stop running within a couple of minutes after I stopped the car so go figure. Use what you can get.
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Redog,

I concur with Dan. Plus, I'm thinking that the CFM requirements for a car in Pennsylvania are a little different than a car in South Texas.

There were a lot of fans out there that fit. I've heard a popular fan to use is from a F*ord Windstar. I went with the LT-1 fans (I misspoke earlier) because they were the "biggest" ones I could find. I figure that if they can cool a BBC, then an SBO would be cake.

C.J.
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:52 PM

OK I'm sending the fan back and reordering the right one, Getting a pretty good deal on a 2400 CFM fan.

Where is a good place to hook up the sender? I see 3 ports on the manifold the 2 on the drivers side and one on the pass. Is this a good place to hook up the sender? and which one should I use? Also I would like to remove another one so I can put in the probe to the water gauge
Old December 29th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Past Administrator

I think it would depend upon how you wish to route the wiring and what seems best and cleanest for your. I used the passenger side one for my setup simply becuase it wasn't being used, I just had a plugged screwed in there, so.....
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

May or may not be helpful, but I put mine where the TSC valve was before I removed it.

C.J.