Freeze Plugs on 307

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM

Freeze Plugs on 307

How-dee! I just got brand new tires on my Custom Cruiser and my mechanic said that my right side freeze plug was leaking. I'm not real familiar with them and I couldn't find mention of them in my service manual.

Does anyone know where they are and how easy they are to replace? I assume by right side, it's the driver's side. You have to drain the whole cooling system correct?

It solved a mystery for me actually because I kept smelling coolant but could not see any leaks. Now I know!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM

well...There are three per side. If its the front one, or the back one, you can sort of get to them from underneath. If its the middle one its virtually impossible to get to without yanking the engine. You will most likely have to drop the exhaust and remove the exhaust manifold for the most clearance. Once you get to it, depending how rotted it is, may prove challenging to remove. When the motor is OUT of the car, on a stand, you would use a hammer and punch on the edge of the plug and turn it in the block then pull it out with some pliers. Then using a socket, you tap the new one in place.

Very easy when the motor is out. Challenging when in the car.

John
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM

The center freeze plug while difficult to access at best, can be replaced without removing the engine. Most auto parts stores sell rubber expandable freeze plugs that swell when tightened. The exhaust manifold and engine mount have to be, in most cases, removed but these work great and are considered a temporary fix. I had a 350 that the previous owner used only water in the cooling system thus rusting nearly all of the freeze plugs out. I replaced then with the rubber expandable type and still no leaks after 30K miles.
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Cool, thanks for the info! Yeah, yanking the engine is not an option so hopefully it's one I can access from underneath. I'll most likely go with the rubber expandable ones. Though I've seen some that are brass or copper that have a tightening nut on them...I'll have to look into that more.

But either way do you have to drain the cooling system?

Thanks!
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Yes you have to drain the cooling system. the block has drains as well as the radiator.

The rubber freeze plug replacement is just what is says its a temp fix. Replace with the real thing and use brass as soon as possible
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Where are the drain plugs on the block?
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

By the way, right and left on a car usually refer to the frame of reference that you have when sitting in the driver's seat. In that case, right refers to the passenger side.
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Gotcha, thanks! I'll go and take a look at her today. Seems like one thing after another with this wagon!
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM

The drain plugs should be in the same area as the freeze plugs right below them. They may be a pain to get out, so be prepared. They do not have to come out to change the freeze plugs, but if you choose not to, there will be coolant going everywhere.