Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Repairs on gauge circuit boards

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:33 AM

Repairs on gauge circuit boards

Broken pins on your Speedo or gauge?? I do repairs on the delicate pins on the back of circuit boards.Once repaired you will never have to worry about connecting and disconnecting wire harness again.
I need your circuit board and ALL pins. 35.00 per board plus shipping 224-234-3860 ggodon@aol.com
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:00 AM
JC

Ive been toying with this same idea for my own gauges. Glad to know someones actually done\doing it. I wonder if I can email you to talk about it?
Thx. Jim
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:26 AM

That seems like a very affordable price.
Thanks for offering a service that pretty much all of us will need sooner or later.

You should show a before and after pic...
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:41 AM

I have to see if I can find one thats damaged and have all the pins for. Jim I will talk with you about it,but I wont give away how I do it. That would be counter productive to getting circuit boards to repair. I thought about an exchange deal but they are dated and I dont think I have enough to work an exchange.

Greg
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:12 AM

If anyone is missing pins I have some junk gauges that you could rob them from.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
JC

Thx Greg... Not trying to get you to give away trade secrets!! Btw... I have seven years experience as a avionics electronics tech in the military. Tons experience soldering circuit boards, guitar electronics, etc. I've been restoring the Cutlass gauges for my own practice and experience the past 2 years. I've collected a few circuit boards now with pin issues, and in past few months just started thinking about fixes for them.

Jensen- I definitely could use a hand full of those pins. Thx.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM

While I understand not wanting to give away repair secrets, to an extent, I think there is enough business to go around here. Many folks cannot or prefer not to do this fix themselves. Certainly, a BEFORE photo would be helpful in conveying how bad the problem can be, and exactly what we are addressing. Many times, the pins are just loose and fail to make good contact; they do not need to be broken off to fail.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:28 PM
JC

I'm just trying to keep the peace around here!

There certainly are people that would not be able to do this kind of repair. I'm just personally not one of them. I always try to do things myself unless I know I can't. But its a great idea to offer the service. Good luck to you. I will promote you to anybody that mentions it to me.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM

I will say that I dont solder them I have a better more stable way to repair them. Chris if someone wants to experiment repairing them let them have at it. My price is very fair and my repair is almost bullet proof. If no one wants them repaired it wont break my heart or my pocket Its not like Im going to retire of repairing circuit boards for 35.00.I have a very good way to repair them an thought I would just offer the service.

Greg

Last edited by rcktdoc; November 23rd, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:32 PM

I've fixed them without solder as well. But not here to offer the service or compete.

We probably ended up with the same fix after trying to deal with the pins.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
Just the facts...

i fixed mine on my '69 by just scraping back from the loose pins to the circuit board copper traces and soldering-never had a problem after that.

bill
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:32 AM

circuit board repair

Guys:
I have repaired quite a few boards, don't really need all the pins either. Several satisfied customers as well, even repaired the ones that had the huge damaging pistol soldering iron used that partially lifted and tore the copper tape before they shipped to me. Whoever you have repair your board, DO NOT try to repair it yourself w/ the pistol type soldering gun before you send it to them to do it correctly, do yourself a favor.
Thanks Ron
Old November 24th, 2013, 10:11 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
I will say that I dont solder them I have a better more stable way to repair them. Chris if someone wants to experiment repairing them let them have at it. My price is very fair and my repair is almost bullet proof. If no one wants them repaired it wont break my heart or my pocket Its not like Im going to retire of repairing circuit boards for 35.00.I have a very good way to repair them an thought I would just offer the service.

Greg
It's a fair price for a service I'm sure many can and will use.

I think what some of the discussion may be about is contributing to the site content. It's nice to sell some stuff but it does little to contribute to the site value. It might be nice to give back a little by sharing some tips w other members on common interest topics such as this. Like ronfx just did for example.

Another post on this topic found some small metric machine screw that fit into the pin tightly enough to secure them to the pcb.
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Im sorry I even offered.

Greg
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:34 PM
JC

I agree with comment about site contribution generally. But this is the classified section, so isnt it the right place to offer service?