Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

nos chambered tailpipes

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM
MOTORHEAD

nos chambered tailpipes

sold

CHAMBERED EXHAUST (THE MYSTIQUE):

WHAT IS CHAMBERED EXHAUST?
Early OEM chambered exhaust systems appeared on various GM musclecars back in the 1960's. Sidepipe-equipped Corvettes used them, and chambered exhaust was available as an option on '69 Z-28 Camaros, & '69 Chevelle SS & big block Camaros. Olds 442's also incorporated a chambered section in the tailpipes after the oval mufflers for additional sound tuning & noise reduction. Chrysler had originally planned to utilize chambered exhaust on AAR Cudas & T/A Challengers - but for whatever reason, the finished products ended-up with a very restrictive (175 cfm per muffler) side exit exhaust with oval mufflers. Basically, a chambered exhaust muffler looked like a swollen section of pipe with "dents" in it. Inside the muffler, was a louvered core or flow tube, which reduced in diameter & restricted flow because of squeezing down the size of the path - this was a negative. As exhaust passed through this section, sound waves escaped the flow path & into the outer cavity - this is where the "dents" or "crimps" performed their magic! A unique turbulence was created in the sound waves, uninhibited by any packing material (there's no fiberglass or packing to burn-out). The crimps textured or "tuned" the sound in a way unlike other more conventional mufflers or glasspacks - vehicles running chambered exhaust had a sound all their own! Glasspacks contain packing material which absorb sound, & they generally produce a smooth tone. They also very often have a smaller diameter flowpath than the entry/exit of the muffler - this affects cfm flow capabilities negatively. A smaller flowpath also produces a quieter exhaust note.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442 pipes 001.jpg (70.1 KB, 202 views)
442 pipes 002.jpg (66.7 KB, 182 views)
442 pipes 003.jpg (67.6 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by 11971four4two; November 11th, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old February 7th, 2019, 12:02 PM

Tail pipes

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
sold

Early OEM chambered exhaust systems appeared on various GM musclecars back in the 1960's. Sidepipe-equipped Corvettes used them, and chambered exhaust was available as an option on '69 Z-28 Camaros, & '69 Chevelle SS & big block Camaros. Olds 442's also incorporated a chambered section in the tailpipes after the oval mufflers for additional sound tuning & noise reduction. Chrysler had originally planned to utilize chambered exhaust on AAR Cudas & T/A Challengers - but for whatever reason, the finished products ended-up with a very restrictive (175 cfm per muffler) side exit exhaust with oval mufflers. Basically, a chambered exhaust muffler looked like a swollen section of pipe with "dents" in it. Inside the muffler, was a louvered core or flow tube, which reduced in diameter & restricted flow because of squeezing down the size of the path - this was a negative. As exhaust passed through this section, sound waves escaped the flow path & into the outer cavity - this is where the "dents" or "crimps" performed their magic! A unique turbulence was created in the sound waves, uninhibited by any packing material (there's no fiberglass or packing to burn-out). The crimps textured or "tuned" the sound in a way unlike other more conventional mufflers or glasspacks - vehicles running chambered exhaust had a sound all their own! Glasspacks contain packing material which absorb sound, & they generally produce a smooth tone. They also very often have a smaller diameter flowpath than the entry/exit of the muffler - this affects cfm flow capabilities negatively. A smaller flowpath also produces a quieter exhaust note.
I was wondering if you know where I could get a set of tail pipes like yours? Thanks Ray
Old February 7th, 2019, 12:19 PM
MOTORHEAD

gardener may be able to help you with chambered exhaust

https://www.gardnerexhaust.com/exhau...ldsmobile-442/
Old February 7th, 2019, 12:48 PM

Tail pipes

sold

Any other ideas of 67 442 original tail pipes? Thanks Ray p.s. Gardner only sells the whole system!
Old February 7th, 2019, 01:02 PM
MOTORHEAD

Put an ad in the parts wanted arena???

NOS tail pipes will be spendy IF you can find any
I do NOT have some

All the best
brian
Old February 7th, 2019, 01:18 PM

I think Karl Sarpolis used to make the chambered tailpipes for 68's. His username Karl's Korner on ClassicOlds
Old February 7th, 2019, 01:42 PM
MOTORHEAD

exhaust notes Check this

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tailpipes.html
Old February 7th, 2019, 01:51 PM

I saw that too but I think 68's are different than 67's.

I've never seen a 68 442 with them so I can't even tell you for sure

Old February 7th, 2019, 02:09 PM
MOTORHEAD

66 67 look the same to me
68 would have the strumpets
Old February 7th, 2019, 02:32 PM

strumpets

Old February 7th, 2019, 02:43 PM
MOTORHEAD

Yeah
With
Tips

thanks
Old February 7th, 2019, 11:57 PM

Karl was working on making a set for a '68 H/O. I believe that he was working with Inline Tube ( I can't remember for sure) to produce these. I haven't seen any updates in awhile over on the FB Olds forums.
Old February 8th, 2019, 02:09 PM

Were these for 65 442 ? Got any extra for 65 442 in 2 1/2 " ?
Old September 2nd, 2020, 05:16 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The Pypes have the 2 1/4" flange then into a 2 1/2" pipe. Their fit has been anything but consistent on their pipes. Ram Air Restorations makes true 2.5" mandrel bent down pipes, saw an installed pic on here, looked really nice, aluminized not stainless. Also made for manifolds or Thornton's shorty headers. Do you want an X or H pipe, also changes the sound. The Hooker Aerochamber mufflers sound awesome but are on the loud side. The Dynomax Super Turbo are noticeable but not loud. Of course muffler placement and interior padding also make a difference. I have those 2.5" Pypes tips, their name is etched in and are good quality. I don't have the cut out bumper so I can't say on how they fit that.