Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Proper etiquette for online transactions.

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2011, 10:06 AM
"I reckon so!"

Advice and help with online transactions.

(edit: removed reference to payments needing to be made prior to items being shipped. This seems to be the most common and correct method for all online transactions on the net.)

When payment is made, cost for parts and shipping should be paid.
Then shipping occurs . . . not vise-versa.

To assure proper transactions, buyers need to establish a system that protects them from scammers and/or the purchase of parts that are not what they had expected. . . .

IE:
1) Do not pay by money transfer.
** NEW **Paying with paypal!! See post #19 below for additional info.
2) Establish good communication with the seller.
3) Obtain full name, address and phone #.
4) Call the seller to confirm.
5) Ask lots of questions about WHAT you are buying and CONDITION.
6) Realize that used parts are just that . . . USED!! Do not expect NOS quality. IF you want NOS, buy NOS.
7) Be understanding that most guys on line do NOT sell for a living. They are selling parts they don't need . . . however they obtained them . . . to benefit those who may need them and have not found or do not wish to try to find the parts they need locally.

8) Be flexible and Expect shipping to take some time because most sellers have a full time job, family, and other obligations besides selling parts to you.

**NEW**
Sellers:
1) Sellers need to keep track of who replies when. If someone shows interest in a part, they should be put "first" in line. Seller should use the date and time to determine who is in first position, second, etc. IF seller is taking posts, pms and emails, seller should use the same system in determining order of responses.

**NEW** 3/14/12

1) When receiving payment by money orders you can take them to a bank and they usually have a phone # they can call and verify if it is a legitimate one. Wells Fargo does this when I bring them in so that I know they are valid and not fakes.

And others . . . Feel free to post advice and ideas for making buying and selling on line easier for everyone!

Last edited by RATCHETMASTER; March 14th, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM

whats the differance in a money order and transfer I have a seller who wants a money order from the post office . Have a number and adress and
email but no camera to take some shots of the parts. ? says his bank wont take out of state checks ? He called be from a wtb add I have on High perfromance olds he also didnt give his site name witch would ease me if I new that too.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM
MOTORHEAD

firefrost that sounds fishy!

Sorry to hiJak thread.

But if you are going to send a check or money order thru "first class" mail. Put a sheet of paper or anything handy with the check/MO to make the envelope thicker. See picture of envelope I got today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
postal 001.jpg (65.2 KB, 55 views)
postal 002.jpg (62.7 KB, 48 views)
postal 003.jpg (68.0 KB, 50 views)
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM
"I reckon so!"

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
whats the differance in a money order and transfer I have a seller who wants a money order from the post office . Have a number and adress and
email but no camera to take some shots of the parts. ? says his bank wont take out of state checks ? He called be from a wtb add I have on High perfromance olds he also didnt give his site name witch would ease me if I new that too.
The key is communication.

Postal money orders are fine. Even from the bank. But you don't ship until the money order or bank check is cleared. Check with your bank to make sure it is lagit and cleared.

Get ALL info. . . name, address, phone from buyers or sellers!! VERY important!!!
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:59 AM

he is the shipper .
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:08 PM
MOTORHEAD

firefrost

I would want to see a picture of what he is selling you before sending ANY form of payment.

If you have any doubts ask that they show a picture of the part you are looking for , with a newspaper or something else with a current date on it in the picture. (Should eliminate the shipper coming up with some random photo off the web.)

Good Luck
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM
delete

What brought this up?
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM
delete

Did you see the guy's history, both here & on ROP? I know how on line business is conducted and there is a certain amount of good faith. In this instance, with this particular seller, he has used up his good faith. No sticky is needed unless this guy plans on posting a lot more for sale items.

All the bold face type isn't needed. If you feel there is a case to be made to defend this guy please make it.

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...9882&highlight=

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...6992&highlight=

Seller etiquette - don't play games when you are selling stuff

Last edited by droptopron; December 6th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
"I reckon so!"

This thread is NOT the other thread. Please post there if you want to discuss his merits.

I created this thread to help individuals with online purchases and sales.

That is it.

Please keep posts to help/advice involving online transactions in general.
If you need advice on transactions in general, this is where you can get it.
Thanks.
Tim

Last edited by RATCHETMASTER; December 7th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
"I reckon so!"

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
firefrost that sounds fishy!

Sorry to hiJak thread.

But if you are going to send a check or money order thru "first class" mail. Put a sheet of paper or anything handy with the check/MO to make the envelope thicker. See picture of envelope I got today
Good advice!!
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM
delete

Originally Posted by RATCHETMASTER
I created this thread to help individuals with online purchases and sales.
Do you think there is a wide spread problem with people expecting sellers to ship before they pay?

On line etiquette - bigger & bolder fonts can be read as raising your voice
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by droptopron
Do you think there is a wide spread problem with people expecting sellers to ship before they pay?
I have never once had someone to ask me to ship something before paid in my 10 years of internet selling.
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
delete

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I have never once had someone to ask me to ship something before paid in my 10 years of internet selling.
& everybody that has dealt with Richard will swear by him. I have done business with plenty of guys in the Olds community and have NEVER had experiences like those described with Weedahoe. I agree that you should show patience when dealing with sellers because most aren't "in that business" but I don't think there is a wide spread epedemic of unrealistic buyers out there.
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

If you would like to pratice having a great online sale >>>

http://www.petersenracing.org/bigjerr/calendars.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270866597021...84.m1555.l2649
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM

I almost had things right. I need more practice. I hope that your will share
your year-to-year sales graph with us.
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:48 PM
"I reckon so!"

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Nothing wrong with a little self promoting in a thread!! Nice calendar!

Old December 6th, 2011, 08:53 PM
"I reckon so!"

Originally Posted by droptopron
Will you ship & I'll pay after its received, as a showing of good faith?
Gearheads78 . . . here is one asking for it in another thread.
But we know that this is not common practice and it is extremely rare that anyone would even consider asking for such a thing.

Last edited by RATCHETMASTER; December 7th, 2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
"I reckon so!"

firefrost gold . . . pm sent.

Old December 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
"I reckon so!"

Many people don't want to pay fees when paying or receiving payment with paypal.

There are two main catagories you select from when sending money through paypal. Purchases and personal transfer.

If you select purchase then sending money is always free. But the receiver has a fee of $.30 plus an additional 1.9-2.9% of the total.

Some sellers ask that the buyer "pay the fees" when using paypal.

If you select "personal transfer" it is Free when the money comes from PayPal balance or bank account. Neither the sender or receiver have any fees!!
HOWEVER, when the money comes from a debit or credit card or PayPal Credit
(the sender decides who pays this fee of $.30 and 2.9% of the total money sent.) SOMEONE HAS TO PAY A FEE!!

My opinion is to always select Personal transfer and have money in your paypal account ready to use. That way NO ONE has to pay any fees and everyone is just a little happier with the transaction.

Note: when you pay by Personal Transfer, you have to get shipping address, name and phone number from the other person because it doesn't give you their address.

Hope this helps you guys out when using paypal.

Last edited by RATCHETMASTER; December 7th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
"I reckon so!"

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
firefrost

I would want to see a picture of what he is selling you before sending ANY form of payment.

If you have any doubts ask that they show a picture of the part you are looking for , with a newspaper or something else with a current date on it in the picture. (Should eliminate the shipper coming up with some random photo off the web.)

Good Luck
missed this post for some reason. Very good ideas and advice. I hope this thread will turn into just that . . . help and advice on buying/ selling on line.
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:33 PM
"I reckon so!"

**NEW**
Sellers:
1) Sellers need to keep track of who replies when. If someone shows interest in a part, they should be put "first" in line. Seller should use the date and time to determine who is in first position, second, etc. IF seller is taking posts, pms and emails, seller should use the same system in determining order of responses.
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM
"I reckon so!"

ttt

Last edited by RATCHETMASTER; January 4th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:22 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

When you arrange a deal you are making a contract.

One party has an obligation to pay, the other to supply the goods as described.
The details with used parts will vary.
Make sure you have each others postal address, phone #, email address and any other relevant information, and have the deal in writing or printout.
If either party is reluctant to give this information there is probably a good reason, good enough not to do the deal IMO.

This won't guarantee a straightforward transaction but will avoid the more obvious pitfalls.

Roger.
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM

I have never had a request to send a part before pmt is made... but sometimes I do anyhow, for trustworthy folks and low-value items.

For sure, beware if you have a wtb or WANTED ad, anywhere. LOTS of folks [always in England, it seems.... Hmmmmm...] "have your part, fer sure, just send the money". Even if you ask for a Left Handed Frammis Valve or Oversize Battery Gaskets. :-)

Then there's the crew who want to "buy" your item, with a check for "too much money"- Nigerian 419 scam. Sure, sounds legit, you are just getting your price. You cash the check [fake bank check, cashes just fine] then WIRE TRANSFER them the "extra money" so they can "get the shipping started"... Western union takes your CASH, sends it to the Nigerians, and 2 weeks later your bank comes knocking on your door wanting that money back. The scammers never have any questions about your item for sale, but after they send you the "bank check" they pester relentlessly to see if you have wired them the "extra" money yet. I have a collection of these fake checks.

I told the one guy that the cash was in the glovebox, but I got stopped at a checkpoint, and they impounded my car, so I need HIM to wire ME $300 to get the car out, then, fer sure, I would wire transfer it all back to him today fer sure. Strangely though he trusted me with a $6500 [fake] bank check, he did not trust me with $300 real money. Huh.

MAKE CONTACT by phone.

Google [the person's name] and "fraud" and see what shows up. Call the bank listed on the "bank check" and see if it's legit.

Many folks STILL operate on the assumption that bank checks are always legit, if you give it oh maybe 3 days to "clear". WRONG - it may take WEEKS before they drop the fraud on you.
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:06 PM

This post pisses me off Im a check guy and if Im trusting you to send me parts Then you should trust me to have a good check. I think that working with a poster form here or other good site's help , I just got a intake for a WTB add I had out. I have sold some wheels to a gto restorer on performance years with no problems . The hole getting the
cashers check and then sending is a pain. May be im just simple that way.
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
any bank will take any check from anywhere with a hold .. with todays modern communication out of state means nothing
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM
"I reckon so!"

ttt
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:11 AM

Good stuff Ratchet! I recently had trouble with the paypal fees. I told a buyer 3 times to make sure that he pays the fee if uses a credit card. I even sent him the link from paypal on which transactions have fees. In the end, I still got hit with a fee. I called him and chewed him out, only to find out that he still couldn't follow my instructions on a personal transfer. He thinks he's protected as a buyer by using the "purchase" instead of "personal". I guess this is circumnavigating the intent of paypal, but their fees are crazy!
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:59 AM

I have been buying and selling on here & other sites for more than 10 years. Got hurt once when I sold a complete tri power to someone through Hemmings---they claimed the intake was cracked under the center carb. I told them to send it back and I would refund their money + one way of the freight. When I got it back not only was it not my intake but the end carbs had been replaced with something else and the linkage was gone----I did not return his money. Creep!!!!! But I also take some peoples checks and have also sent checks----seems to me that if a check comes and the address is the same on the check as where you are sending the part it is probably good. I have also given people I didn't know parts for just the freight---didn't hurt me to help someone.
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:24 AM
"I reckon so!"

NEW!!

1) When receiving payment by money orders you can take them to a bank and they usually have a phone # they can call and verify if it is a legitimate one. Wells Fargo does this when I bring them in so that I know they are valid and not fakes.

MX442
I guess this is circumnavigating the intent of paypal, but their fees are crazy!
I think this is fine. Paypal makes plenty of money for its parent company epay already!!
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM

USPS postal money order verifrication number...
866-459-7822
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:36 AM

From a sellers point of view, I accept Paypal with no problems, I write off the fees on my taxes. Its a trust factor that customers like, it works for me since I have one of the Paypal Mastercard debit card. I get the money instant, most everyone understands Money orders and Checks from other businesses are expected. Now, for the shipping part...yes, we do need time. I sell tons of used sheetmetal, customers special cuts which takes some thinking for packing to make it safe for everyone. Customers are told they are in order, be a few days before I get to it. Still, I get it a few times a month were they call within 2 days, is my part shipped?! But,on the other hand, you get those who are in no hurry, would rather wait for the best piece coming in. Good topic to bring up. Joe
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Banned

My opinion is to always select Personal transfer and have money in your paypal account ready to use. That way NO ONE has to pay any fees and everyone is just a little happier with the transaction.

Note: when you pay by Personal Transfer, you have to get shipping address, name and phone number from the other person because it doesn't give you their address.

Hope this helps you guys out when using paypal.

this is pretty bad advice.

if you send your funds through paypal to a total stranger as a gift,and they disappear
you can't do a thing about it.

also,i would never,ever mail a money order through the regular mail

spend the $5,and send it priority mail with tracking

btw,if somebody stiffs you and you sent a money order,good luck getting your money back from the postal service this century.
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:09 PM
"I reckon so!"

Originally Posted by valvecoverred
this is pretty bad advice.

if you send your funds through paypal to a total stranger as a gift,and they disappear
you can't do a thing about it.

also,i would never,ever mail a money order through the regular mail

spend the $5,and send it priority mail with tracking

btw,if somebody stiffs you and you sent a money order,good luck getting your money back from the postal service this century.
PAYPAL>>>

13.2 Eligibility Requirements.

a)To be eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:

1)Pay for the eligible item from your Account.

2)Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.

3)Send the payment to the Seller through:

a) the eBay “Pay Now” button or the eBay invoice; or

b) the “Send Money” button of your Account by selecting “eBay Item” and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number for purchases on eBay website; or

c) the Send Money tab on the PayPal website, by clicking the “Purchase” tab, or by selecting the “Checkout with PayPal” button or otherwise selecting PayPal as part of a Seller’s checkout flow.

So it appears that you can use the dispute resolution method if you click on the "purchase" tab. But I am not so sure buyer/seller protection always applies . . . I know it doesn't apply in some cases.

It only works if there is something major wrong with the item . . . not when it is just not in as good as shape as described.

They differentiate "NEW" and "USED" and will not take up a dispute if it is just "MORE used than described.

But if you don't receive the item, then you may have cause for a dispute.

So, in summary it may be better to pay the fees as a buyer if the seller requests you to pay them when you are dealing with complete strangers if you are worried that there may be a problem. I am not so sure I would rely on paypal to fight my disputes for me.

Last edited by RATCHETMASTER; March 14th, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:32 PM
"I reckon so!"

Here is an example of using the paypal system i had a few years ago.

I sold a set of door hinges on ebay.

I shipped them. Buyer did not request insurance.

He received a torn open empty box.

He disputed the sale through paypal.

Paypal sided with him and took $90 out of my paypal account.

I don't have much faith in the paypal system.

Make sure the buyer pays for insurance.
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

Here is an example of using the paypal system i had a few years ago.

I sold a set of door hinges on ebay.

I shipped them. Buyer did not request insurance.

He received a torn open empty box.

He disputed the sale through paypal.

Paypal sided with him and took $90 out of my paypal account.
that's a slam dunk dispute for paypal to approve.

you made the mistake of keeping funds in your paypal account.

I don't have much faith in the paypal system.
you need to know paypal's limitations,and learn to exploit them.

Make sure the buyer pays for insurance.
why should the buyer pay for insurance?

insurance protects the seller,not the buyer.

if there was a damaged item,you would have to file the claim,since you are the shipper.