Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

7028253 Quadrajet for sale

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM

7028253 Quadrajet for sale

Numbers are 7028253 UC 0527

Just bought an olds 455 to build up and replace a tired 307. This qjet was on there. I was going to order a carb kit for this and run it in this car, but my google search led me here and it seems that this is a rare # for these carbs. The numbers don't matter much to me as this motor doesn't even belong in the car...

I'll let this go for the best offer (cash or trade) or go through it and use it if there is no interest...

Let me know if anyone has any questions about it...

I am near san francisco CA.
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM

I'll TAKE IT!!
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:30 AM

Picture?
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM
Trying to remember member

From 2 years ago?
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:40 AM

Picture, schmicture

From 2 yrs ago?

Stranger things have happened. Have you not heard how I got my 7028254 carb?

About 2 yrs after the purchase agreement, the man's brother called to offer me the carb. Right after we made the deal, the seller quit responding.... In going over the estate items, the family found my contact info and the carb related to it, and 3 days before Christmas I get a call, am I still interested in that carb?
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:52 AM

This thread came up with I looked the other day too:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...7028253-a.html

It's 68tom, the same guy that was selling it on e-bay that Octania posted the ebay link in the other thread.

It's interesting because first he posted a "wanted" ad for it here:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...7028253-a.html

And who responded:....... notlarry.....

So I'm assuming notlarry sold it to 68tom who posted it here and on ebay. Read the questions and answers in the ebay ad. There were definitely a lot of questions about whether it was real. Perhaps 68tom can supply the pic so we all can see if it was a restamp or not. (Unfortunately he sold his car and hasn't posted since last December)

On Mar-25-12 at 22:39:58 PDT, seller added the following information:

Many thanks to those all interested in the carb. I had a question about a possible restamp on the carb, so I've included a better resolution photo. To be honest, that never even crossed my mind. I know I had an original quadrajet from a 4-speed 68 442 that was supposed to be restored. This is the carb I got in return, so I assumed it was the same carb. However, there's so many crooked people out there, even those you think are honest might not be.

So...please look closely at the pics and make your own decision. I don't know how to determine these things. All I know is, for my starting bid of $125, whether it's a restamp or not, it's a good deal. Beyond that it's up to you. Sorry, I'm not trying to be vague here, but I just don't know. I just wanted those bidding to make their own determination.

As stated in a question below, the number in the circle on the back of the carb body is 7035221. 35221 is also stamped on the carb body. The carb base in a circle is 7035226. The top base of the carb has 35218 stamped on it.

Hope this helps some.

On Mar-26-12 at 06:53:37 PDT, seller added the following information:

To anyone interested in this carburetor. PLEASE make sure you are satisfied that the stamping of the 7028253 is an original stamp and not a re-stamp. If you would like me to send you an email of the stamping, I can do so. Just send me a message with it included and I'll send you a very large photo so you can determine yourself.

I'm definitely not out to deceive anyone here and want to make sure you're satisfied with what you're getting. Dealing with an unsatisfied buyer is more of a headache for me than it is for you, so I'd rather make sure the bidder is happy with their item before auction end. Thanks.

Last edited by allyolds68; October 21st, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Picture, schmicture

From 2 yrs ago?

Stranger things have happened. Have you not heard how I got my 7028254 carb?

About 2 yrs after the purchase agreement, the man's brother called to offer me the carb. Right after we made the deal, the seller quit responding.... In going over the estate items, the family found my contact info and the carb related to it, and 3 days before Christmas I get a call, am I still interested in that carb?
For sure stranger things have happened. And surely it should be asked even at this late date, considering the circumstances.
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
This thread came up with I looked the other day too:

So I'm assuming notlarry sold it to 68tom who posted it here and on ebay. Read the questions and answers in the ebay ad. There were definitely a lot of questions about whether it was real. Perhaps 68tom can supply the pic so we all can see if it was a restamp or not. (Unfortunately he sold his car and hasn't posted since last December)
Thanks, Mike. Who knows where 68Tom got his carb that he apparently sent to be rebuilt. Along with a pic of the number, it would be nice to get a date code and a possible "production code".

There are 2 things that still are unanswered to me:

1. If they don't exist, why didn't Oldsmobile know that? The make numerous references to it. Even in a June '70 Service Guild Product Training Manual?

2. What carb is on all the '68 442 stick cars out there? Who has what they know or even think may be an original carb to the car?
Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM

Yeah...

You go to a car show and it appears that 442's are all Oldsmobile ever made. And almost all of those are manual trans.

So, nearly every '68 at the shows "should have" the '8253 carb, right?

Yet.... NOT ONE PHOTO can be found?

uh-huh. OK....
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm always amused when I go to a show and all the Faux-4-2s have the owner ID card strategically covering the VIN. There was a 1972 "W-30" at our All-GM show one year that one judge wanted to award Best of Show (stock), until I moved the ID card and noted the "K" engine code in the VIN.

Hey, a "K" is ALMOST an "X"...
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by notlarry
Numbers are 7028253 UC 0527

date code doesn't jive with the model number... 52nd day of 1967 or 1977

so, it's either a fake, or a 1977 service carb(doubtful, as it's 10 years after the production run).
i call fake.

bill

Last edited by BILL DEMMER; October 27th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old October 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Yeah...

You go to a car show and it appears that 442's are all Oldsmobile ever made. And almost all of those are manual trans.

So, nearly every '68 at the shows "should have" the '8253 carb, right?

Yet.... NOT ONE PHOTO can be found?

uh-huh. OK....
Not wanting to hi-jack the thread... but I posted this thread a while back. I purchased a ratty 1968 442 4spd that was last driven in 1983. Pretty complete car but the crusty carb on the engine keys out for a 1968 Pontiac 400 or 428 with a 4 speed. It looked just as grimy as the rest of the motor, so it must have been swapped on early in the car's life.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-gm-lines.html
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:45 PM

Please stand by
The first ever published photo of a REAL 7028253 carb
NOT A RESTAMP
will soon be forthcoming.
Real Soon Now.

no, it is not for sale.
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:50 PM

I'm looking forward to it
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:42 AM

whats the 53 worth I have one off my 68 ram rod
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:00 AM

will take it if you are selling it
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by tonycutlassw31
whats the 53 worth I have one off my 68 ram rod
Can you post pics? Or email me kurt.shubert@wildaboutcars.com

The original carb for a '68 Ramrod should be 7028255.

Last edited by wmachine; December 19th, 2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Corrected typo as pointed out in the next post
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:37 AM

correction above
7028255, not 7028555 for a '68 RamRod carb, I believe.

GM parts guy:
"I pulled my ebay ad for my 253 carb.I know I emailed alot of people about my carb and REAL pics. I know dean saw the ghost. But as far as octania, with ALL his drama and crap about how we can now see what nobody has. Its that bull that made me pull the pics. I hope he didn't see the ghost. As for the rest of you guys sorry, but it is the real deal. You will never see another original like this again. I joined this web site to give and get advice on Oldsmobiles, last time I looked NOBODY is perfect? I sell rare Olds parts and GM parts and don't need people who say more and know less, telling me what I already know about rare hard to find parts. I will just sit back and read the posts. I cant say its been fun so far."

"whats the [70282]53 worth I have one off my 68 ram rod"
=================
Worth? With rarity like that, it's hard to judge.
This is on the order of Solid Main Web 403 rarity.
Elvis mating with aliens in the moonlight.

Perhaps the owner of the carb took offense at my cynical reply, oh well. It's a LITTLE hard not be cynical, what with the myth/ fable/ NOT ONE PHOTO ANYWHERE EVER situation. Of a part that was allegedly made by the 100's- for all the Manual Trans '68 442's- unless a W30. Bear in mind that I have stumbled across items of great rarity: 1 of forty three AT '68 W30 converts.... Tri-carb setups... 7028254 carbs [one after YEARS of searching, one in the Pile o' Carbs at the recycler]... Experimental prototype intakes... 1970 W30 carb at a yard sale... 1969 H/O distributor in the trunk of a parts car... &c. It's pretty much akin to bringing your Perpetual Motion machine to a gathering of engineers and physicists, but keeping it in a box so no one can verify that it exists, let alone examine it, measure input and output, etc. "Oh, it's in there, trust me! You may never see another one like it!" One might expect a certain amount of "drama" to ensue.

The latest [and every other] 7028253 story sounds EXACTLY like all the SMW 403 stories... only the subject and exact details change... and of course it's POSSIBLE to restamp a carb, but to undetectably get a 4A casting ID onto a SMW block like say a 350 or that special factory siamesed 398558-2 block that could displace 403 CID, is just not feasible.

Refresher, the story always goes like this:

I/ my brother/ uncle/ cousin/ friend / Olds Engineering
have/has one FER SURE
[always the obligatory "fer sure, no bullshed this time!"]
BUT... [always the but]
right now we don't have any photos because
[insert random reason/ excuse such as...]
it's under water [seriously, that was given as a reason by one "bearbear" at ROP] / it's buried in the back of the garage / it's in the car right now / it's long since sold / my panties are in a bunch because no one believes me that it's real and I got one right here / etc.

So... as you were, gentlemen
Nothing to see here
Literally

Last edited by Octania; December 19th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old December 19th, 2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GM parts guy
I pulled my ebay ad for my 253 carb.I know I emailed alot of people about my carb and REAL pics.I know dean saw the ghost.But as far as octania,with ALL his drama and crap about how we can now see what nobody has.Its that bull that made me pull the pics. I hope he didnt see the ghost.As for the rest of you guys sorry,but it is the real deal.You will never see another original like this again.I joined this web site to give and get advice on Oldsmobiles,last time I looked NOBODY is perfect?I sell rare Olds parts and GM parts and dont need people who say more and know less, telling me what I already know about rare hard to find parts.I will just sit back and read the posts.I cant say its been fun so far.
I don't know you or know what your problem is but all you're doing by coming here and posting this is perpetuating the myth
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:24 PM

I have sent Wmachine the pics of this RARE 253 carb.I asked kurt to post these pics for ALL you dumb people to see the hens tooth.Hey Allyolds68 your about as smart on these rare parts as Octania.Talk about cry babys,WOW.You guys wanted the truth,and now you cant handel it?Whats up with that!I hope Kurt posts the pics soon,so you guys can say you were WRONG!!.Like thats going to happen.

Last edited by 2blu442; December 19th, 2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Language
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:53 PM

At this point speaking for myself based on your posts could care less what he posts far as your carb. This guy is an ***.
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:15 PM

Lets see why I am the ***?Last week I was looking at many Olds web sites,and came across classicoldsmobile.I read ALL the posts about the 253 that nobody has ever seen.And that the carb is a ghost NEVERMADE .So I joined this web site to show you guys what you have never seen.And what do I get in return?***

Last edited by 2blu442; December 19th, 2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Language
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM

carb

once again could care less if this carb exists or not, its your behavior on this thread what makes you an ***.
oh here are the pics - date code seems funky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68 carb2.jpg (43.8 KB, 105 views)
68 carb.jpg (31.2 KB, 100 views)
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM

GM guy, this is a family friendly site. The rules for posting exclude foul language and posts that stir up fights. If you have something to show us then post the pictures. But stop calling names.

John, one of the moderators.
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:35 PM

sorry John I will refrain as well it was just his behavior towards Mike - Dean
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:36 PM

The date code looks funny.Dean your just mad its not for sale and its REAL.And as for calling names really.You people have called me a LIAR because I wanted to help you out with something you never seen.So is that how you people treat family?You need to check yourself at the door?

Last edited by GM parts guy; December 19th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:39 PM

to be honest don't really care if it is for sale or real , secondly, never called you a liar just merely described your personality which is you know ..............
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by GM parts guy
The date code looks funny.Dean your just mad its not for sale and its REAL.And as for calling names really.You people have called me a LIAR because I wanted to help you out with something you never seen.So is that how you people treat family?You need to check yourself at the door?
If you read through other posts you will see comments from moderators like "please have a beer and cool off before you post again". Hey, families do disagree! We just need to be respectful when we do. Sorry you took offense, but your replies did come across a pretty harsh. You want to start over? Create a new post including photos or details on the carb. Want to sell it? Then post a price with it. Several of us need a carb with these numbers for our restorations. But as you've read, guys here who've had dozens (some maybe 100+) of really rare cars and parts haven't come across one of these yet.

John
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:26 PM

Cool John.You and kurt seem like the two best guys on this site so far.I didnt tell you guys about this carb to rub anybodys nose in it.I did try and help with all the ghost stories about this carb,and that I am lucky enough to have found one of these rare carbs.If that makes some people mad,sorry.I was just trying to help some other DIE HARD OLDS FANS out.I joined this web site to GIVE and GET Olds info.Not to have a bunch of drama.But a least everybody got to see the ghost.I am sorry I joined this website...

Last edited by GM parts guy; December 20th, 2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:51 AM

Maybe the GM parts guys is just trying to say .... why so much theatrics and drama? or ..... just because you have never seen it, how can you 100% say it doesnt exist - which he equates to implying he is a liar even if the L word isnt used.

Chris did not need to belittle with analogies to aliens, elvis and SMW.

Everyone decide on their own but maybe ratchet back the fanfare.
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
..... just because you have never seen it, how can you 100% say it doesnt exist -
Exactly. And in this case there is a lot more *factory* documentation that they exist, and that should keep us looking.
So it is no surprise to me that one has surfaced.
Also note that after the OP posted, it was *two years* before anyone had anything to say. Makes me question how hard "everyone" has been looking. I can say that I was not looking for one back then.

Dean, I think the date code is okay. They vary some on the flanges like that, understandably. It does have the correct UC broadcast code (aka application code) and that is an important feature for a factory installed carb.
Attached Images
DSC02105[1].jpg (59.5 KB, 80 views)
DSC02107[1].jpg (57.5 KB, 73 views)
DSC02109[1].jpg (58.0 KB, 81 views)
DSC02111[1].jpg (58.9 KB, 74 views)
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:54 AM

carb

Originally Posted by wmachine
Exactly. And in this case there is a lot more *factory* documentation that they exist, and that should keep us looking.
So it is no surprise to me that one has surfaced.
Also note that after the OP posted, it was *two years* before anyone had anything to say. Makes me question how hard "everyone" has been looking. I can say that I was not looking for one back then.

Dean, I think the date code is okay. They vary some on the flanges like that, understandably. It does have the correct UC broadcast code (aka application code) and that is an important feature for a factory installed carb.
if its the real deal kudos to him really. It was his demeanor in his posts that set me off.
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM

It's hard to tell from the one pic, but that looks like one of the worst cobbled up stamps I've ever seen.Several of the numbers are spaced incorrectly, angled, etc.. how does that jive with factory correct fonts and stamps ?

Dean, I'll include this one too..... ;-) wink !
Attached Images
68-253-carb.jpg (43.4 KB, 89 views)
68-253-carb-date.jpg (39.1 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Vader; December 20th, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old December 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vader
It's hard to tell from the one pic, but that looks like one of the worst cobbled up stamps I've ever seen.Several of the numbers are spaced incorrectly, angled, etc.. how does that jive with factory correct fonts and stamps ?
With all due respect, I don't know what you've been looking at, but that stamping is consistent with many other '68 carb stamps I've seen and have. Most of the original stamps are far from perfect, so I'm not sure where you get "cobbled" from.
Now-a-days I'm finding myself more leery of perfect stamps than imperfect ones.
Old December 20th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Yeah, it's just hard to tell from that one picture, but the "8" looks completely
strange compared to the other numbers. If there was a good pic, I may have a different opinion. Doesn't matter to me... just my .02, which is worth
>.02 these days.
Old December 20th, 2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
Yeah, it's just hard to tell from that one picture, but the "8" looks completely
strange compared to the other numbers. If there was a good pic, I may have a different opinion. Doesn't matter to me... just my .02, which is worth
>.02 these days.
Here, this should make you feel better about the 8. Deeper stamp at the bottom, shallower at the top.
Attached Images
7028251.1.jpg (45.1 KB, 100 views)
Old December 20th, 2013, 12:22 PM

carb

Originally Posted by wmachine
Here, this should make you feel better about the 8. Deeper stamp at the bottom, shallower at the top.
wow, that looks very strange. Guess they used whatever they had. Thanks
Old December 20th, 2013, 12:38 PM

its a batch stamp....just like stage 1 carbs and W30 carbs, such a low production, ran in a "batch" til they need another "batch"...it was hand stamped..

very common on carbs like stage1s..theres 3 date codes..if it doesnt fit that code its a restamp..PERIOD..since it was hand stamped in a gang stamp..some can be deeper..also...some numbers have different looks than high production machine stamped..

also, common to see batch stamped with die marks before and after the number...

the Buick and pontiac guys have it figured out pretty well..

if it is the only 253 ever seen or photographed..its right until proven wrong, because theres no comparison.... but sure looks right for a low production carb..
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:07 PM

I would like to say thanks pete,mark and kurt.You guys are the only ONES who get it,and have NOT blown me crap about this carb.Where in the heck that guy got the stamping numbers look wrong,I dont know.I am going to dip and clean this carb,so ALL the stamping-date code can be seen as clean as the day it was new.I live in IL,I got ahold of a guy that owns the quad shop in Rockford IL.He has some 251s but has never seen a 253 and really wants to see it.I will also be going to the B.O.P.C 23rd annual indoor swap meet sunday feb 23rd 2014 in St charles IL Kane county fairgrounds.This show ALWAYS has members from the Olds club of America.So will see what the real experts have to say about my 253 carb.Thanks
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:53 PM

GM parts guy, please read back through your most recent post. Is this the tone you want others to address you with?

Quick Reply: 7028253 Quadrajet for sale