Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

68 Delta Custom parts

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM

68 Delta Custom parts

Afternoon Everyone!

While in a local salvage yard looking for a 73-77 era cutlass I spotted a 68 Delta Custom that has quite a bit of parts left on it from what I could see.

The grilles are solid, front markers are stressed cracked and rear side markers are nice, red and crack free. Majority of the exterior/interior chrome trim is nice as well.

Not a good feeling to see a car with a great deal of restoration potential sitting in a salvage yard. This yard keeps their cars for one to three months and then off to the crusher they go. On top of that, the damn place will not sell the vehicle(s) either.

Anyway, I figured I'd post a few photos of the car in case someone is looking for a spare part or that one particular part they can't find.

I'm headed back to the yard in a day or so. If you see something you're interested in let me know.

Time is ticking...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3766a.jpg (68.3 KB, 74 views)
IMG_3770a.jpg (41.6 KB, 62 views)
IMG_3767a.jpg (40.9 KB, 71 views)
IMG_3781a.jpg (40.4 KB, 57 views)
IMG_3768a.jpg (55.6 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by macrover; September 9th, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM

Kelvin, I need all 4 wheel housing trim pieces if you can get them. I also need the 2 pieces before the rear wheel opening and the 2 behind the wheel opening on the front fenders. Any exterior Delta Custom emblems as well. Are the door panels any good? Love to have those if they are. I will make it worth you're while! Going out of town tomorrow but will be back Sunday. Thanks for you're time! Philip
Old September 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM

A ton of good parts on that car. Hope you two can come to an agreement. It's a shame to see something like that sold to China as scrap steel... Someone else was looking for bumpers for their 68. That Oldsmobile scrip on the back bumper would look good on my wall Macrover.
Old September 10th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

MacRover, you should contact BlueHaze.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...wish-list.html

- Eric
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Hey MacRover, I would be highly interested in a few of the parts from that car.

Namely the arm rests on the doors (assuming they are black and in decent shape), the cigarette lighter, and would be really insterested in what they would want for those bumpers (although shipping would likely kill that deal). Additionally, the turn signal lens covers.

Shoot me a PM or am email if you are headed back, and willing to help.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Anyone? Anyone? 2 '68 B-body lovers wanting parts here! lol
Bluehaze, you might be able to get the armrests repro, and the parking lamp lenses are all over ebay, cheap. If I had 2 extra days I could take off of work I would drive over myself. About a 9 hr drive from here. Need to know the name of the yard.
BTW, FattRattMatt, I still have you're taillight assemblies sitting under my toolbox here. If you still want em, let me know.
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:28 AM

Glad I posted the car. I was hoping someone could use some of the parts before they're gone.

- DeltaStew - Last I checked all the exterior trim parts you mentioned were on the car. The delta scripts on the fenders were in pretty good shape, I'll have to double check the one on the trunk. Are you wanting the interior scripts as well?

The door panels are there but I would have to look them over to confirm their overall condition. If I recall correctly, the passenger side panel has worn carpet on the lower part of the panel. The driver side door is locked and couldn't be opened so I'll have to figure out a way to open it and give you a better idea of that door panel.

- BlueHaze - I don't mind helping.

Yes, the armrest are black. The armrest pads are cracked but may be salvageable (someone mentioned these being available aftermarket, I don't know). The actual armrests have nice center chrome pieces and a hairline split or two in the armrest. The plastic pieces in between the armrest and door panel are chipped just behind the rear portion of the armrest. I'd have to look them over again to give you greater details. I'll check the lighter as well.

Which turn signal lenses are you referring to? The front lenses are stressed cracked, no worth saving I don't think.

The bumpers are solid but the front has small dents in the center section just under the rocket emblem and the rear has a few dents as well. I would think they could be straightened out?

I'm heading back to that yard in a day or so and I'll take more photos of the parts mentioned so a decision can be made if the parts meet each of your standards.

Last edited by macrover; September 12th, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by macrover

- BlueHaze - I don't mind helping.

Yes, the armrest are black. The armrest pads are cracked but may be salvageable (someone mentioned these being available aftermarket, I don't know). The actual armrests have nice center chrome pieces and a hairline split or two in the armrest. The plastic pieces in between the armrest and door panel are chipped just behind the rear portion of the armrest. I'd have to look them over again to give you greater details. I'll check the lighter as well.

Which turn signal lenses are you referring to? The front lenses are stressed cracked, no worth saving I don't think.

The bumpers are solid but the front has small dents in the center section just under the rocket emblem and the rear has a few dents as well. I would think they could be straightened out?

I'm heading back to that yard in a day or so and I'll take more photos of the parts mentioned so a decision can be made if the parts meet each of your standards.
OK, skip on the front lenses then. If the arm rests are all cracked, then I will have to look elsewhere. The one I have is in great shape, and I only really need the passenger side one. I suppose I will start looking for an aftermarket one.

I am not 100% sure if that rear bumper will match the one on my Delmont. Same size and shape, but different tail lights. Not sure if that is an "insert" into the rectangular opening, or if there is a solid strip that separates the two tail lights on mine. I have to look now, and see (at work though, will need to be tonight).

Thank you for looking out for us though. It is truly appreciated.
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM

No problem on the armrest. I understand wanting a very nice set, a nice one in your case. When I go back to that yard, I'll thoroughly examine the armrest just to make sure we're not passing on a nice part. Do you want a show piece or will a driver piece (hairline split or two) suffice?

I did notice the bumper/tail light differences and wondered if the bumper here would work for you. Let me know what you discover when you get home.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. You're welcome!

Last edited by macrover; September 12th, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM

Bluehaze, that rear bumper will work on you're car, it's just not "technically" correct. The Delmonts had the split taillamp setup. The taillamp housing and bezels are unique to a Delmont 88, but they unbolt easily and can be swapped for a Delta 88/Delta Custom taillamp housing. The "Oldsmobile' namebar between the taillights is unique to Delta 88's and Delta Customs. Some dealers may have drilled the bumper and installed these, back in the day on Delmonts. I personally think the namebar looks good on a Delmont. Matter of fact, I bought an NOS one about a year ago on ebay. Keep looking on ebay for parts, you would be surprised at what comes up.
Macrover, Yes, take pics if possible. The door panels, wheelwell trim, Delta Custom emblems, and the 4 pieces of side trim I mentioned. If the side trim is not pitted badly I definitely am interested. BTW, tell us what parts you need for you're cars. '77-'79 Cutlasses are abound here, I may be able to help you out too. Take care, Philip
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM

DeltaStew you might be correct on the bumper Oldsmobile name bar. Mine had the holes drilled in the bumper like you described. I found one and put it on. Looks great. Was the tail light housings you have chrome? I can't remember. I could use a decent rear view mirror Macrover, mines showing some heat damage to the mirror itself. Wise I had room to store parts, I'd make a road trip LOL!
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:59 AM

FatRatMattt -I hear you, storage space is always an issue when dealing with car stuff. lol

I'll take a good look at the mirror and let you know it's condition.

Philip (DeltaStew) - I'll check for pits (if any) on the chrome trim and look for any flaws on the interior panels.

One of these days I'm going to post a wish list for my cars. A little over a year ago, I started the resto process on my 77. Four months into taking the interior apart, "life and work" took over and the resto was put on hold. I ran across the 79 earlier this summer (somewhere around June). It had been parked in back yard since '98 and I just couldn't drive past it anymore and let it sit any longer. Once I got it home, I started to look it over to see what it needs for a resto. Surprisingly, it doesn't need much...I plan on doing a frame off on it as well, someday. After my 77 is completed of course.

Well, things are starting to get back to normal (for the most part) and I can dedicate a little more time to my cars, especially the 77. My list(s) will surface at some point.

Last edited by macrover; September 13th, 2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:25 AM

No problem on the armrest. I understand wanting a very nice set, a nice one in your case. When I go back to that yard, I'll thoroughly examine the armrest just to make sure we're not passing on a nice part. Do you want a show piece or will a driver piece (hairline split or two) suffice?

I did notice the bumper/tail light differences and wondered if the bumper here would work for you. Let me know what you discover when you get home.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. You're welcome!
I would be more than happy with "driver quality" for now, as the passenger side door has no armrest at all at the moment.

As far as the bumper goes, that could get sticky with whatever they want for it plus shipping, and your time. It seems the tail light swap would be fairly easy to make the Delta into a Delmont (or vice-versa) after looking at it last night.

Thanks again for all of your efforts, and please let me know what you find out.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Sounds good, I'm headed to the yard in the morning to pick up some parts from the 73 cutlass and to get some small items from the delta. I'll get some detailed photos too.

Stay tuned...
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Update...

I spent all day yesterday at the salvage yard tinkering on the 73 and 68.

Philip - I managed to get both the exterior Delta scripts and rear wheel well trim pieces off the car. The front passenger trim had a screw in it so I didn't bother with it assuming you would not want it (see photo below). By the time I got to the driver side fender trim I was worn out from tussling/removing the passenger fender I didn't get to remove the trim and it was time to pick my children so I had to get going.

The trim pieces in front of the rear wheel wells had some small pits here and there and so did the front trim behind the front wheels (see photos below).

The passenger interior panel has been destroyed since my first visit. The driver side panel was still intact due to the fact the driver side door being stuck. The locking mechanism will not engage/disengage to open the door.

Not knowing how detailed your standards are, I left them on the car until you view the photos and let me know if you want them.

BlueHaze - Unfortunately the armrests are gone, someone beat us to them. However, I did manage to get the lighter. The bumpers are still there as well. They have a few dings here and there but I'd consider them good ol' cores to get "smoothed" over and you'd have nice like new bumpers.

FatRatMatt The rear view mirror was not worthy of saving. The glass was rather faded.

Take a look and see if you see anything of interest and let me know. I plan on making one more trip in a few days.
Attached Images
68Driver_body_trim_pits.jpg (33.7 KB, 17 views)
68driver_fndr_trim.jpg (52.9 KB, 17 views)
68Passenger_body_trim.jpg (50.1 KB, 16 views)
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:41 AM

Here are the bumpers....
Attached Images
68Front_bumper_.jpg (44.1 KB, 18 views)
68Front_bumper_dings.jpg (35.4 KB, 16 views)
68Bumper_rear_dings.jpg (44.8 KB, 13 views)
68Bumper_rear center.jpg (44.4 KB, 16 views)
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM

A few interior photos...
Attached Images
68Steering_wheel.jpg (28.0 KB, 30 views)
68Dash_panel.jpg (42.8 KB, 29 views)
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:46 PM

Kelvin, you are the man! I really want to thank you for you're efforts, that is going an extra mile for sure. I will definitely take both Delta Custom scripts and the wheelwell trim. Just let me know what I will owe you. I wouldn't worry about the other pieces on the car, too much trouble. You would need a tetnis shot for sure after trying to get the front fenders loose at the bottom! If you could just check and see if the trunk Delta Custom emblem is there and saveable that would be wonderful. Wow, I am excited! lol
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM

FattRattMatt, those taillamp bezels I have are chrome, no pits, btw.
Old September 16th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Update...

BlueHaze - Unfortunately the armrests are gone, someone beat us to them. However, I did manage to get the lighter. The bumpers are still there as well. They have a few dings here and there but I'd consider them good ol' cores to get "smoothed" over and you'd have nice like new bumpers.
Thanks for the efforts. Total shame the arm rests are gone already, and I am going to pass on the bumpers for now.

Let me know what you would like for the cig lighter, and the details via PM please.

Thank you again, you went way above and beyond with this thread and car.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Philip - The scripts are in pretty good shape. Although the trunk emblem was on the car it was separated at the "m" in Custom. I did get the pieces for it though.

Take a look and let me know what you think...

BlueHaze - PM sent
Attached Images
IMG_7794a.jpg (61.4 KB, 21 views)
IMG_7819a.jpg (72.4 KB, 18 views)
IMG_7823a.jpg (91.8 KB, 17 views)
IMG_7824a.jpg (73.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by macrover; September 16th, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:33 AM

Also, if anyone is interested, I have the rear side marker lights and the Oldsmobile script for the front grille.

SOLD
Attached Images
IMG_7827a.jpg (57.9 KB, 14 views)
IMG_7828a.jpg (45.3 KB, 13 views)
IMG_7830a.jpg (35.9 KB, 13 views)
IMG_7832a.jpg (56.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by macrover; November 2nd, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old September 17th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Kelvin, I can definitely use the emblems and wheelwell trim. PM me what you need for the parts, and if you have a UPS store around I think they can pack the stuff for you. Thanks again for you're efforts! Philip
Old September 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Kelvin, did you or could you get both front turn signal/marker light assemblies? Not really too concerned about the lenses, but the diecast housings. Any idea on cost?

Glenn
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:16 AM

'68 Delta

Hi Kelvin,

I'm interested in the steering wheel, it appears to be in decent condition and it's identical to the one in my Delmont Cvt. Mine is in desperate condition, has a wheel wrap cover on it holding it together. I'll take the centre button as well. How's about the ciggie lighter, if no-one else has spoken for it, I'm interested.

Thanks, Ron
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:36 AM

DeltaStew - pm sent

Cooper128 - The housings were there last time I was there. I'll have to check when I go back. It takes a bit of work to get them off, is there a trick to removing them without removing the front bumper?

Hardtop - The steering wheel has a cracks and some missing pieces on the actual steering wheel but I suppose it could be a good replacement if an existing wheel is down to the metal ring. I didn't get a good look at the horn cap (center button) but I will on the next trip.

The lighter is pending sale.

Hopefully I can get back to the yard within the next day or so and catch the car before they get rid of it. Stay tuned...
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Copper128 - The housings were there last time I was there. I'll have to check when I go back. It takes a bit of work to get them off, is there a trick to removing them without removing the front bumper?
Hmmm. Been years since I took the originals off and I don't really remember. I know the bolts go in from behind (inside the fender). Maybe it's screwed to the plastic filler on the bottom, too. The filler would be the thing that hooks under the bumper lip. Unfortunately I can't get at the front end of my '68 where it's stored right now. Sorry I'm not of more help
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
"I reckon so!"

hey
are the seat belts there? I would be interested depending on price. How about a rear window defogger?
thanks
Tim
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:43 AM

Cooper - i know for sure the housings were there, I just need to see what it takes to remove them.

Tim - The belts were in the car last time I was there. I'll check them out on my next visit.

The rear window is a standard window.

BlueHaze - Sorry for the delay. I'm headed out of town Thursday and I've been prepping for my trip.

Here's the lighter...
Attached Images
IMG_3877a.jpg (37.2 KB, 12 views)
IMG_3876a.jpg (43.1 KB, 9 views)
IMG_3874a.jpg (50.3 KB, 9 views)
IMG_3882a.jpg (51.8 KB, 9 views)
IMG_3881a.jpg (47.8 KB, 8 views)
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM

If the car is still there I would like the headlight switch ****. I dont know what it would be like to ship but I really could use the windshield if its nice. I know the windshield might not be a good idea but I would like the headlight switch ****. I would appreciate it if you could get it.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
TalksToToads

I need the hood, pm sent.
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM

Finally back home from a long family road trip.

I'm planning a trip to the yard later this week and I'll check on the aforementioned parts while there.

If the car is still there, I suspect it's nearing the end of existence based on the yards scrap cycle. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

PM answered.

Last edited by macrover; September 26th, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM

I forgot i also need the quarter window seal, the seal between the back window and the door window. The metal part of mine is broken, If you could pull those out that would be great.
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Are you refer an actual seal on the rear glass or is it on the actual body of the car?
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:09 PM

its this one
Attached Images
DSCN0873.jpg (57.7 KB, 11 views)
DSCN0874.jpg (54.6 KB, 12 views)
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Ok, I thought that's what you were talking about. Cool, I'll look. Just to be in the know, is there a trick to removing them without breaking them? I'll figure it out but wanted some tips, if any.
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM

I cant offer any tips right now but I can take a look tomarrow and see if I can figure out how it comes out.
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You just work them off. There is a rubber strip between the metal channel and the glass. It may have been adhesive once, but they seem to come off reasonably easily if you just wiggle and pull.

- Eric
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by young olds
I forgot i also need the quarter window seal, the seal between the back window and the door window. The metal part of mine is broken, If you could pull those out that would be great.

After looking at your pics, it looks like you just need the rubber seal and not the whole glass channel/seal assembly. As long as the chromed channel on the glass is in good shape, just spray some WD40 or similar lube along the sides of the rubber and it will slide out by pulling it straight down. That seal has a steel core to make it rigid. New replacement seals are available from Fusick and others (made by Metro). I replaced them on both of my 67's. Not difficult at all.
By the way, the chrome channel is glued to the glass with butyl sealer.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by copper128
...just spray some WD40 or similar lube along the sides of the rubber and it will slide out by pulling it straight down...
That was my plan. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check just in case you want original seals (although they may be brittle/cracked) opposed to the aftermarket seals.

SOLD - wheel well rear trim and the exterior delta scripts.

Quick Reply: 68 Delta Custom parts