Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Gauge and Stereo Housings

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Randy, different subject but tangentially related. My lower dash is in food shape but has been cut out for a radio. The wood grain is beat up. Any ideas about making a repair plate that would adhesive from the back and then putting new woodgrain on? Have you tried anything like that?
Hi,

Not sure what condition "food shape" is. Guessing you meant fine or fair?
Anyway, no, I haven't tried tried that. I'm trying to rmember what the back side of that area of dash looks like. I guess there's room to overlap a piece of plastic on the back side of the radio opening. Not sure any kind of adhesive tape would be strong enough to hold a factory radio in place though.
I'm thinking that a weld screw type of fastener would be needed. Basically, a screw with a very thin head. Or a piece of 1/8" all thread with a washer welded to the end of it. Drill a hole on each side of the opening and attach the repair plate to the dash with adhesive to hold it in place and then drill holes for the screws and install a screw and nut on each side. The head of the screw would have to be countersunk into the dash plastic so that the wood grain would lay flat. That's why the very thin head. I guess, using the all thread and washer, you could gring a flat on the edge of the washer and heat it up enough that it would melt the dash plastic when you inserted it and pulled it tight. The flat side on the washer is to keep the washer from spinning while you install the nut.

As far as duplcating the radio mounting area, that's a pretty complex shape to try and reproduce with sheets of flat plastic. Not saying that it can't be done but I'm guessing it would be pretty time and labor intensive. If you were going to install new wood grain from H&H, you'd also have to make sure that what ever repair plate you made had the holes perfectly positioned to match up with the die cut wood grain applique.
The depth of the holes are another concern that would have to be exact or very close.
If I had the dash here to work with, I could probably do it but it would be quite a project.
Maybe I'm over engineering it. After all, the repair plate itself won't be seen so it won't have to be pretty, just dimensionally accurate regarding the spacing and depth of the **** holes.
Let me think on it.
I think the **** holes are tapered. Anyone know the dimension of the holes at the bottom of the holes? Also, anyone know how far from the surface of the dash the bottom of the holes are?
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:48 AM

Curious

Are you shipping USPS to Canada? If so I wil place an order.

Thanks
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Are you shipping USPS to Canada? If so I wil place an order.

Thanks
Hi Dave,

Sure. USPS 1st class international shipping to Canada is $18. What kind of housing would you like?
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:53 PM

Gauges

I will contact you on Monday with an order.
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:29 AM

order request

PM sent with order for housing.
Old June 11th, 2013, 12:36 PM

done

Payment sent for purchase. Thanks Randy.
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:30 PM

product arrived

Package arrived on Friday & Mrs picked it up for me. I just got home from an oil well today & had a look at it. Well packaged & the housing looks great.

Thanks much.
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Ready to order....I sent a PM.
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:37 PM

custom housing

Hi Mike,

Got your housing in progress. Should go out one day next week.

Thank you,
Old January 8th, 2015, 04:26 PM

Pop out drink holder

Hey guys has anyone done a pop out drink holder with one of these yet?
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:19 AM

Hi Gincsc,

Sounds like an interesting idea. Probably work ok for an automatic but there may be an interference issue with the 3 and 4 speed shifter. I'll go out and check my car. I'm assuming that you are thinking of using a cup holder assembly from an existing production model car. Do you have a specific model of car's cup holder in mind? Or have you seen an after market cup holder for a boat or something that might lend itself to this application?
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by W70442
Hi Gincsc,

Sounds like an interesting idea. Probably work ok for an automatic but there may be an interference issue with the 3 and 4 speed shifter. I'll go out and check my car. I'm assuming that you are thinking of using a cup holder assembly from an existing production model car. Do you have a specific model of car's cup holder in mind? Or have you seen an after market cup holder for a boat or something that might lend itself to this application?
W70442

Here's what I was thinking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-90-91-92-...-/181298806882

I work for a Toyota dealer and had the parts guy order me one at dealer cost.

My 71 dual gate automatic came with a 8 track mounted under the dash with an aftermarket stereo. Looking at that one and the am OEM just annoyed me.
So I took both of them out and I'm putting in a Retosound blue tooth unit.

I was thinking I could get some black kydex on ebay and fabricate a usb/aux also from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Motorcyc...68fe29&vxp=mtr

12v adapter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Car-Moto...3d1ed4&vxp=mtr

If I can fit the pull out cup holder,12v and the usb this would be a great mod that can be removed if needed and give me a place to charge my phone and use a memory stick with music on it as well.

what do you think?

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
62589028873500_tmp_org.jpg (14.9 KB, 113 views)
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:57 PM

Randy

I think yours is larger right?

After fitting them all this weekend I don't think I will have enough room on the face for all 3 with the factory trim which is really fat. I've been trying to find a solution for removing the trim and using something smaller.

The pic below is what I was thinking about.

The idea started on my first day driving around and I stopped to get a burger and had no where to put my drink.
Attached Images
cupholder.jpg (14.1 KB, 134 views)
Old March 7th, 2015, 08:44 AM

cup holder

The housings I make is the same size as the 8 track housing. As you pointed out the trim takes up a lot of room. The trim on the housings I make is just a chrome edge bead like door edge trim.

I think there would be enough room for all four pieces in one of my housings though I'm not sure youd be able to access the stereo if you had cups in the cup holder. This is assuming that the cup holder would be mounted below the stereo.
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:11 PM

cup holder

Couple more thoughts. I think I'd try and find a nice used cup holder out of what ever model car it goes in as $79 for the cup holder new alone is pretty steep. The cost of the charger and usb port don't look too bad.

My custom housings start at $84.95 with the actual total depending upon the complexity of the design. One with a single DIN stereo opening, one hole for a usb port, one hole for a charger port, and a used cup holder, like the one shown in your post, would be about $95 + shipping. I'd have to acquire a cup holder and make sure I can figure a way to mount it so that it works and looks good first.
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:47 AM

It's not finished yet but here is what its going to look like.
Still what to figure out a trim option.

What do you think?

Gary
Attached Images
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:35 PM

cup holder

Hi,

Looks good. Are you going to have a stereo or gauges in between the two ports? I'm curious, does that cup holder pop out or do you have to pull it out?
Yeah, coming up with a trim solution may be tough.

Have you held it up to your dash where it would be mounted to make sure the cups will even sit in the cup holder with out hitting the dash? I know the face of the 8 track mounts several inches back from the front edge of the dash. It also sits at a pretty good angle so, even if the cups clear the front edge of the dash, I think they may sit at quite a bit of an angle.

I may have a solution for you. I could build a custom housing like that for you though I understand not wanting to spend any more than you have to spend or already have spent, especially if that cup holder was $70. However, if that 8 track housing is in usable condition, I may be interested in working a partial trade. I might be interested even if is broken on the sides like they all eventually do.
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:37 PM

Still available?
Old May 15th, 2015, 08:07 PM

I hope so too. Father's Day is coming up
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:30 AM

stereo housing

Hi Macadoo and Alex,

Yes, I'm still building them. Working on a couple custom housings at the moment.

What kind of housings were you interested in? You can email me directly at w70442@hotmail.com with what you'd like.

Be glad to help.

Thanks,
Old May 16th, 2015, 12:43 PM

I think I want this one for a '71 Supreme with a black interior. But let me take some measurements. And I might want the Din and the gauges reversed. Actually, do you know the measurements of this one in particular?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 18th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
I think I want this one for a '71 Supreme with a black interior. But let me take some measurements. And I might want the Din and the gauges reversed. Actually, do you know the measurements of this one in particular?

[IMG][/IMG]

Hey Mac,

The one pictured here measures 18 3/4" across the top. I can flip the stereo and gauges left to right with no problem.
Old May 19th, 2015, 06:42 PM

I think that;s a little wide. Perhaps this would be a better choice. WHat form of payment do you prefer and can you estimate shipping to 61753?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Macadoo; May 19th, 2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:27 PM

do you sell the mount brackets separate ?
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by bigin1978
do you sell the mount brackets separate ?
Hi,

Yes, I do. Do you need a pair or just one?
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:23 AM

I think that;s a little wide. Perhaps this would be a better choice. WHat form of payment do you prefer and can you estimate shipping to 61753?
I take checks and money orders but have to hold them for 10 business days before shipping. I also take Paypal.
Do you have a console? I can do it but that housing with the gauges over the stereo is pretty tall and is a tight fit between the console and dash.
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by W70442
I take checks and money orders but have to hold them for 10 business days before shipping. I also take Paypal.
Do you have a console? I can do it but that housing with the gauges over the stereo is pretty tall and is a tight fit between the console and dash.
Nope, no console, shifter's on the tree.
Bigin's question confused me a little. Does the unit come with mounting hardware?
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Randy built a housing for my gauges recently. The quality is top notch. Gauges fit perfect and it looks awesome. The only problem is it looks so good that it made my Burlewood woodgrain on center console look like crap, now I have to replace that.

Mac it comes with everything you need to install it.

Here is a picture of the housing.

Here is a mock up picture, I haven't installed it yet since Mac's threads got me into another project (changing colors)

Old May 20th, 2015, 05:45 PM

gauge stereo housing

Nope, no console, shifter's on the tree.
Bigin's question confused me a little. Does the unit come with mounting hardware?
Hey Macadoo,

As 70cutty said, all mounting brackets are included. I even provide the nuts for the threaded studs. I do not provide the 2 small screws that go through the front tabs on the mounting brackets because cars that have had an 8 track before will already have had screws there and may have those holes wallowed out etc. Plus, since they are visible, I figure I will let the owner decide what kind of screw/head they would like to use there.
That housing with the three 2 1/16" gauges over the stereo would be $84.95 + $18 insured UPS ground shipping.

70Cutty,
Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you liked the housing and happy to help. Sorry it caused you more work though......

Last edited by W70442; May 20th, 2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:06 PM

I think I can rustle up a couple of screws. I'll get back to ya.
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Randy built a housing for my gauges recently. The quality is top notch. Gauges fit perfect and it looks awesome. The only problem is it looks so good that it made my Burlewood woodgrain on center console look like crap, now I have to replace that.

Mac it comes with everything you need to install it.

Here is a picture of the housing.

Here is a mock up picture, I haven't installed it yet since Mac's threads got me into another project (changing colors)

Looks awesome cutty. Is the 4th one a tach?
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:14 PM

gauge stereo housing

I think I can rustle up a couple of screws. I'll get back to ya.
Exactly. Hollar when you're ready.

I enlarged 70Cutty's pic and it looks like the 4th gauge says fuel at the bottom.

Last edited by W70442; May 20th, 2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Beer Connoisseur

It's a fuel pressure gauge.
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:59 PM

Feedback

I purchased & installed one of these triple gauge pods some time ago. It is in my 1970 W-31 that was built without the OEM Rallye Pac. The product is as described & functions well. I would buy & install again with no hesitation.
Old May 21st, 2015, 02:54 PM

High praise indeed. I know the ones in the user pics in this thread look fantastic. Right now I'm prioritizing; I had no idea a new windshield would be more than twice what it cost for my truck.
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:59 AM

I was thinking about trying to mount a stereo in the glove box of my 72, would you be able to make a face plate for this type of mount?
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:23 PM

housing

High praise indeed. I know the ones in the user pics in this thread look fantastic. Right now I'm prioritizing; I had no idea a new windshield would be more than twice what it cost for my truck.
I don't know about your state but KY is a "no fault" state so if you have full coverage on your vehicle here, windshield replacement as well as other glass is 100% free.
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:26 PM

glove box mount

Originally Posted by scottyr33
I was thinking about trying to mount a stereo in the glove box of my 72, would you be able to make a face plate for this type of mount?
Hi,

I emailed you but that other may benefit from this info. I can make a face plate for an application like that. I recently reinstalled my 8 track player so I may be doing the same thing for my car.
Are you wanting just a flat face plate to mount the stereo to or some sort of complete housing to mount the stereo in and then place in the glove box. I'm thinking I'll just go with a face plate with some side supports etc to keep air flow around the stereo.
Let me know what you have in mind.
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:03 PM

im thinking of a complete face plate that will cover the entire glove box, with the air flow behind the face plate. How does that sound
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:37 AM

glove box stereo install

Originally Posted by scottyr33
im thinking of a complete face plate that will cover the entire glove box, with the air flow behind the face plate. How does that sound
For anyone else interested in this, I'm currently mocking up a face plate to install a stereo in the glove box. I'll post more on it when I get further along with it.

Quick Reply: Gauge and Stereo Housings