55 olds electric fuel and wiper pump?

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Scharpp

55 olds electric fuel and wiper pump?

as my fuel pump is not working, i thought just to go with an electric fuel pump and a 12 volt vacuume pump for wipers, has anyone done this? seems it could be a better way than depending on a stock fuel pump that you cant just get at any parts store, Thanks for any input
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by scharpp
as my fuel pump is not working, i thought just to go with an electric fuel pump and a 12 volt vacuume pump for wipers, has anyone done this? seems it could be a better way than depending on a stock fuel pump that you cant just get at any parts store, Thanks for any input
Original pumps are still available; check Fusick & eBay. If you decide to go with the electric fuel pump, I would not do the 12 volt vacuum pump for the wipers as the vacuum motor is a weak link in the system. There are conversions available which use an electric motor to drive the wipers. This should be a better alternative. So far, I'm using the original setup, but strongly considering making the wiper conversion.
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have had an electric pump on my 54 and have been very satisfied. I am upgrading to a Holley high performance pump. If you go with the electric pump, use a big block chevy blockoff plate for you old fuel pump. It fits perfectly. I don't have the electric wiper motor since I never get my car out in the rain, If I did, I would upgrade to the electric pump. It seems I read you will have to make an indention in the batwing air cleaner if you have one. If you go with the electric pump, be mount it back by the tank and you will probably want to use an oil pressure cutoff switch so if your engine dies the fuel pump quits. Speedway Motors has them for something like $28. If you don't do that, at least put a toggle switch so you can cut the pump off.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:03 AM
Scharpp

Thanks I did the electric fuel pump and it works great, all tho I think the problem with the old one was the fuel line on the crossmember had a hole in it, I feel better with the electric as you cannot just buy a pump if you have a failure when out of town at car shows, I will deal with the wipers later, Thanks again
Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:20 AM
Administrator

The wipers will run off manifold vacuum, but will stop at WOT. Just a temporary solution.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:34 PM

That was always a thrill, driving in the rain, pull out to pass another car , and the wipers stop!
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:31 AM

I highly recommend the electric conversion, It really gives you the freedom to get truly away.We used the wipers probably eight out of ten days last year on our road trip (which wasn't in the trip plan) and the never looked back.

As far as the fuel pump thing goes If you have any doubts get yours rebuilt, keep in mind they have been running these cars for 60 + years with few problems, just don't venture out with worn out parts.

My luck with electric pumps (though years ago) has not been that good. I found them noisy and they didn't last that long for me. Redoldsman seems to like his so maybe there better now, my experience was not that good......Tedd
Old March 4th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think Tedd and I will always disagree on points vs Pertronix and original vs electric fuel pumps and that is okay. I don't think there is anything wrong with either. The new pumps are quieter. I am upgrading to one of the Holley Gerator pumps which you cannot even hear it running. It is not cheap (over $200) but I will have piece of mind. I will keep my current one in the car for a spare. scharpp does make a good point about being able to replace an electric pump if you are out on the road.
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:21 PM

Mostly it comes down to what makes you most comfortable as you venture farther away from the shadow of your garage. There is nothing absolute here just preferences gained from good and bad experiences, the same problems may never occur to you.

Its always been my habit (policy) to try and build my car the very best I can because I will be many miles down the road and I hope to be enjoying the full length of my adventure..... I also carry very good tow insurance because $hit will happen anyway...... Tedd
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:56 AM

I have an electric fuel pump on my '37 Olds, but only as a back-up. So far, I have only needed it for long slumber start-ups, after carb work, or a couple of times for hot starting vapor lock. I think I solved that issue since I put on the electric pump, however.
I have it wired to a vintage switch, that glows if it's turned on, to remind me. My mechanical pump is still there, and still functions, and provides vacuum.
It's also there to have redundant systems since I use the car in vintage car rally racing.