75 Delta..convt top help

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:24 AM

75 Delta..convt top help

After a great summer of leaving the top down, I can't get it to go back up. Switch on the dash will activate the motor trying to put it down further, but nothing when I try the up position. Are there relays or something that may be the culprit?

For now, I put the cover on it with the top down, but would like to get it to go up and close the windows for the winter storage.

This is one of the dreaded scissor tops, no hydraulics.

Any help appreciated.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H
After a great summer of leaving the top down, I can't get it to go back up. Switch on the dash will activate the motor trying to put it down further, but nothing when I try the up position. Are there relays or something that may be the culprit?

For now, I put the cover on it with the top down, but would like to get it to go up and close the windows for the winter storage.

This is one of the dreaded scissor tops, no hydraulics.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum!

I don't own a convertible but I do have '76 98's. Regardless, are you sure the switch is making a good connection? If you pull the switch out, maybe you can just jump the wires in case the switch itself is bad. To pull the switch out, remove the radio ***** and then pull the woodgrain face plate out. The switch will then be exposed and you should be able to GENTLY pull/pry it out.If you have power on the way down, it's likely just a loose connection on the up leads somewhere.

Let's see some pics of your Olds!
Old October 24th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Grr....tried to post pics, but times out on me while I wa downloading them.

29k original in storage from 1985 to 2010 when I got it from the granddaughter of the original owner. He had 2 of these.

Old October 24th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Grr....tried to post pics, but times out on me while I wa downloading them.

29k original in storage from 1985 to 2010 when I got it from the granddaughter of the original owner. He had 2 of these.

Wow, very nice cars and nice find Dave. So is yours the green one?

Did you have any luck with the top yet?
Old October 24th, 2014, 11:44 AM

Same car

The pics are all of the same car, when I bought it in 2010, when I got it back on the road while still green, and the way it looks now in Metallic Blue.

I haven't looked at the top yet as I'm prepping my Ramrod for the MCACN show next month and have 2 others that are still in process. My 66 442 hurt the engine last year at the Pure Stock Drags, and while we got that rebuilt, it's in the car and needs to be hooked up and broken in. Pressure's off here in Michigan for the winter other that where do I want them until they come out in April.

I also have a 68 W30 that I've been building for years from a bare shell.

Old October 24th, 2014, 12:51 PM

The pics are all of the same car, when I bought it in 2010, when I got it back on the road while still green, and the way it looks now in Metallic Blue.

I haven't looked at the top yet as I'm prepping my Ramrod for the MCACN show next month and have 2 others that are still in process. My 66 442 hurt the engine last year at the Pure Stock Drags, and while we got that rebuilt, it's in the car and needs to be hooked up and broken in. Pressure's off here in Michigan for the winter other that where do I want them until they come out in April.

I also have a 68 W30 that I've been building for years from a bare shell.

I was wondering if they were the same car but wasn't sure since you said he had 2. I really like the blue, much better than the green and it goes perfectly with the interior.

Nice cars you have. There's at least one other member on here (he's also in my local club) with a RAMROD. I really like your 66...the '66 and '67 are my favorite years. Nice collection of Oldsmobiles you have!
Old October 24th, 2014, 01:16 PM

That wouldn't happen to be Glen Morris? I've known him for many years.

No, he had 2 green 75 convertibles, drove and trashed one out, kept this one put away until he stopped driving it in 1985. Just heard that part from a neighbor this year at Norwalk. I just have the good one, apparently the other met its maker years ago.

Need a few things for it, like the interior rear view mirror. Mine flops all over the place. Got one or know what is the same and fits it?
Old October 24th, 2014, 01:46 PM

Actually, yeah! Funny that you know Glen and you live in MI. I'm in the New England Oldsmobile Club with Glen, he's a great guy.

Too bad the other convertible got scrapped.
Old October 24th, 2014, 07:34 PM

Call a Convertible Service 626 285-2255. The are a wealth of information, have parts and also install, so know what they are talking about. Good luck!
Old October 24th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Are there relays or something that may be the culprit?
Funny you should ask.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...provement.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...top-relay.html

I also have the convertible top section of the FBM scanned and can email it to you in less time than it would take you to get a copy mailed to you.

- Eric