exhaust pipe on newer Olds

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM

exhaust pipe on newer Olds

Hey all-
Sorry, this is about a newer (1990) Olds but I figure someone will have an answer.

I'm having to replace the exhaust pipe and muffler on my 90 Cutlass Ciera daily driver. I have a question.
I'm somewhat frustrated because it seems like the aftermarket exhausts I put on (which I usually buy from NAPA) only last 2 1/2 to 3 years. The first exhaust from the factory lasted much longer than this.
Why is this? Is it made from some other kind of material?

My other question is this. Why, every single time the exhaust fails, does the exhaust pipe break off right where it meets the muffler?
I had been looking at the condition of the exhaust maybe a month ago, and the entire pipe and muffler looked just fine- hardly any rust at all!! EXCEPT right where the two were clamped together!

I started to think maybe it's the clamp's fault somehow. I found out that the exhaust pipe and muffler are aluminized. The clamp, however, is made of carbon steel. I don't know, but maybe the clamp rusts first and it causes the entire area around it to rust out and fail.

Or does welding the seal between the pipe and the muffler make a difference as opposed to just clamping it? Maybe having that done would be better.

I realize living in the salty northeast is a factor. I'm just tired of having to replace the exhaust every 2 1/2 to 3 years. I would like it would last longer, if I could find a way to make it last longer.

Is my theory about the clamp at all correct? Is there some other kind of clamp can get? Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by njot33
...it seems like the aftermarket exhausts I put on (which I usually buy from NAPA) only last 2 1/2 to 3 years. The first exhaust from the factory lasted much longer than this.
Why is this? Is it made from some other kind of material?
Thicker gauge stainless than most aftermarket pieces that are available.

My other question is this. Why, every single time the exhaust fails, does the exhaust pipe break off right where it meets the muffler?
Partially what you said, dis-similar materials provide more electrolysis. I think another contributing factor would be that there is a natural lip there where cooling exhaust gases can deposit water moisture. The farther back you get the cooler the gases get. This is a reason the tailpipes always go first.
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Is it made from some other kind of material?
Yes, the NAPA stuff is made from Chinesium. If you want it fixed properly take it to an exhaust shop and have them do it for you. Tell them about your problem though. They can tell you what they can do to fix it.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM

I think this was a big problem with the small GM cars in the late 80's and the early 90's.

My parents had a 1987 Chevy Nova and that thing blew mufflers off about every 3 years or so. I think we put 4 mufflers on it in the 9 years of ownership and it would have been 5 if we didn't trade it in (other issues)
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Funny thing is, even flowmasters will rot off in 2 or 3 years.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

It's all about the steel. Take your car to a local scrapyard, and ask to use their metal analyzer on your original crossover pipe. Their analysers display numbers that identify what type of steel the factory used. Usually a 4 digit number. They use these testers to identify and organize all of their metals. Then find the right metal gauge and size for your application.
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM

I went up to the local Buick/Pontiac dealer today to see if I could still order a factory exhaust system for the car. They've been discontinued. I'm not surprised, based on the age of the car, but I figured you never know if they might still have a few lying around.

I've tried looking for aftermarket stainless steel exhaust systems, but haven't turned up anything.

I might try using band style exhaust clamps instead of the usual type of exhaust clamp. I wonder if that might help.