Where would you mount a fire extinguisher on a 1972 Cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Where would you mount a fire extinguisher on a 1972 Cutlass?

Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well. I decided that i wanted to buy some cheap insurance for my Cutlass this weekend (fire extinguishers were on sale at my local hardware store).

So i spent 22 dollars and here is a picture. It is a Garrison ABC fire extinguisher. Should be good for my purposes. It comes with the mounting bracket and 3 holes.

Question is: Where would you mount this on your cutlass?

Thanks!

-Tony
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Not sure about yours, but I was able to get one right up against the left side of the driver's seat, between the seat and the door, on the floor, in my Chevelle.

- Eric
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Mine is under the left front seat, but not secured. The bracket was left on the unit to keep it from rolling out to the back.
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cutlass Lover

Mine is laying in the floorboard of the backseat, behind the drivers seat. Unmounted.
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Not sure about yours, but I was able to get one right up against the left side of the driver's seat, between the seat and the door, on the floor, in my Chevelle.

- Eric

Cool! Did you screw it down or it's just sitting there.

I do like the idea of having it affixed permanently, i've gotta do a mechanical inspection on the car soon so i'm hoping to have it look as professional as possible.
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Screwed down.

You might not want to do this if you've got fancy seats, as it does touch the seat, and could damage it through continual rubbing.

- Eric
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Screwed down.

You might not want to do this if you've got fancy seats, as it does touch the seat, and could damage it through continual rubbing.

- Eric
Ah Okay cool, I'll have to check the fit when i get home.

I grabbed this picture a couple nights ago. I just installed PUI seat covers as well as the carpet. (seat covers are a hell of a PITA)

Old January 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM

Mine I'm sorry to say lives it the trunk next to the jack and wrench.I know better too, my old Bronco burnt to the ground for the lack of a fire extinguisher in time...Tedd
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Mine I'm sorry to say lives it the trunk next to the jack and wrench.I know better too, my old Bronco burnt to the ground for the lack of a fire extinguisher in time...Tedd
Oh man... Sorry to hear about the car... That's horrible.

So wait, did you have one in your bronco? Because I just want me give my car a dying chance of not burning the ground (especially since since I'm the one working on it...)
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:21 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Mine is laying in the floorboard of the backseat, behind the drivers seat. Unmounted.

Mine too.
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Mount it where you can easily reach it and remove it from the bracket with one hand while getting the door open with the other. The bottom line is that if the car lights on fire you are the only hope of saving it (or minimizing damage) so mount it where you will be comfortable grabbing it when your adrenaline is causing your vision to go blurry :-). p.s. mine sits between the drivers seat and the floor shifter bracket. Not bolted down (does not move) because I replace occasionally (per expiration date) and bring it in the house to put by the woodstove in the winter.
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Toney72 Cutless S , the Bronco 2 went up in flames some years ago .As it turned out I was the victim of a botched engine rebuild . The fuel line was left lose or came lose and sprayed fuel all over the engine bay. I'm not sure I could have gotten it out if I had had the extinguisher in my lap(it was in a box in the back), this was day one after the rebuild....Tedd

PS. I got high blue book for the car.
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM

I've got a short stumpy one that fits perfectly in the glove box. Keep one of those mesh bottle protectors like when you buy wine/booze on it to prevent rattles/scratches.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:13 AM

I cut a piece of 5/16 plywood to fit on the floorwell behind the drivers seat and covered it in carpet. Then mounted the bracket to that. Secure, doesn't damage the car and easily moved if I had a fourth passenger.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:52 AM
Mak

Originally Posted by frankr442
I cut a piece of 5/16 plywood to fit on the floorwell behind the drivers seat and covered it in carpet. Then mounted the bracket to that. Secure, doesn't damage the car and easily moved if I had a fourth passenger.
Great idea... I'm gonna do that!
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
That is where I keep mine also !
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:50 PM
Shoveling Snow

Use velcro on the body of the extingusher and stick it to the carpet by the tunnel.
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:54 PM

Why didn't we all do this back in the 60's and 70's? Never heard of fires back then.
Anyways, I have one under the passenger seat laying loose.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:39 AM

This is all great info!

Hopefully this thread will also convince readers to buy a fire extinguisher for themselves. After all the hard work we put into these cars, it's a tragedy to see them go.

I really like the idea of putting velcro on the bracket that holds the extinguisher down. Since i'm really not a fan of drilling into my floor (more than i already have to..)
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Mount it on the nearest Mustang....
Old April 7th, 2012, 04:26 PM

Another mounting location

In my 1971 Cutlass, its mounted on the passenger-side kick pad. There is an existing screw in the kick pad. I set the fire extinguisher in the mount on the floor, then checked where to drill a hole in the mount to match the existing screw hole. I drilled the hole in the mount, then took the screw out of the kick pad then put it back in, passing through the mount. In 15 years, it has never moved and my wife has never complained about it being in the way of her feet. (15 years...maybe its time for a new fire extinguisher...)
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:00 PM

Ttt

Maybe, It's time to tell this sad story again

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-you-sick.html

Don't forget to yank the battery cables loose.

I received this p.m. not too long ago

Burnt to a crisp story
I wanted to say thank you for posting that story. Ever since i read it i now keep my battery post on hand tight and i check them every once in a while. But anyway i was cruising to a car show saturday morning in my 62 stepside and my wife was in the 442 behind me. I turned into the bank to get some cash and the dash started smoking real bad. First thing i remember was your story and the first thing i did was slamm on brakes and ran to open head and pull the hot wire off battery. The only damage was some melted wiring for the turn signals and 1 brake light. But if i didn't read your story the truck may not have made it. Hopefully others have read your story and hopefully remeber to take evasive action.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:30 PM
NOVICE car nut

Of course mine is loose on the floor behind the drivers seat !
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:20 PM

I just installed 1 this weekend. I have bucket seats and a B&M Shifter in the floor. I mounted mine between the buckets behind the shifter.
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:18 PM

I mounted mine under the kitchen sink about 10 years ago...I guess I should check it. I'm not prepared for anything but a robbery
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:30 AM
*ssholes Garage

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well. I decided that i wanted to buy some cheap insurance for my Cutlass this weekend (fire extinguishers were on sale at my local hardware store).

So i spent 22 dollars and here is a picture. It is a Garrison ABC fire extinguisher. Should be good for my purposes. It comes with the mounting bracket and 3 holes.

Question is: Where would you mount this on your cutlass?

Thanks!

-Tony
On the front passenger side tran hump.
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:02 AM
*ssholes Garage

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Oh man... Sorry to hear about the car... That's horrible.

So wait, did you have one in your bronco? Because I just want me give my car a dying chance of not burning the ground (especially since since I'm the one working on it...)
I feel your pain. I lost a 79 monte carlo in 1984. Now and i have one in every car. In my vert its sitting behind the drivers seat, no bracket. I want to mount it to the tranny hump on the rightside of the 8-track player but dont have a bracket. Its a wall mount type. Its Big, I think they call it a 5 pounder. Those small extinguisher i dont trust to have what it may take to get it out. It also gets tested and recharged every year. I like it out in the open, just in case im not near it and anyone could plannly see it. Nice post by the way, Chris
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM

I almost lost my car to a leaking carb that I think caught fire from the distributor... luckily I had an extinguisher in the trunk and was able to put out the fire... now i carry mine under the seat but I am also looking to mount it somewhere in the back.
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Mine lays on the driver side floor in front of/under the seat. Probably due for a new one. How long are they supposed to last anyway? It still says charged but it is about 6 years old.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by AZ455
Mine lays on the driver side floor in front of/under the seat. Probably due for a new one. How long are they supposed to last anyway? It still says charged but it is about 6 years old.
There should be a date code right on the label saying the date of manufacturer and when it should be "checked" i dont think they ever go bad. Just re-filled and topped up.