swap

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2007, 11:36 PM

swap

Hi. Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to swap a 350-455 engine and trans into a 65 f85 wagon? What mounts to use and the like? I think mt 330 is stuck . I will know more in a week after the cylinders soak.

Thanks.

E.
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Past Administrator

Man, I like the BBO and plan on putting one in my '48 this spring but if you have a 330, WOW! There are still lots of speed parts out there for those early Rockets and if you like Old Skool that is the way to go. Plus, if you put a modern Rocket in there then you better plan on using the transmission too, it is not impossible to get adapters for the new engine to old trans but difficult and expensive. What car is this for?
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM

1965 f85 wagon. In would like to keep the 330 but it might be stuck. I am not looking for more power . It is going to be an old school family cruiser. Probably suade and flake .
I checked the starter like you sugested in my other thread and it is good. Motor wont turn with a breaker bar.
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Past Administrator

Oh ok I remember the other thread now. I bet the cylinders will eventually break free, those rings probably rusted up. What are you using? PB Blaster? If so, you might want to use some diesel oil or something similar since it is cheaper and see if any leaks down into the pan or not. I am guessing some of it will. If it does that indicates that not all the rings have rusted completely and this might be a cheaper way to soak those cylinder walls/rings. If you are patient they will eventually break free. It sounds like you have a nice car and a good idea for it's appearance. Are you going to go with red steel wheels, dog dish hubcaps and white white bias tires? That is the classic late fifties, early sixties look. Did I mention the Jalopy Journal to you before? IF not go there and follow the link to their Hokey *** Message board (HAMB). Lots of good ideas on there but they are way more busy than this place. They will remind you that your car is one year too new if you join up as their stopping year was 1964, inttentionally set to keep the mustangs out, go figure.....
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Thanks. Yeah I know of the HAMB. Wheels on the wagon will depend on final color combo. I have so many cars and projects that I am working on the wagon here and there. I have owned a 68 442 for a little while in the past and it was the only olds I have owned.That was why I asked about the swap. What mounts will work and stuff.

E.
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wagonman
Hi. Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to swap a 350-455 engine and trans into a 65 f85 wagon? What mounts to use and the like? I think mt 330 is stuck . I will know more in a week after the cylinders soak.

First, the 330 is not an early Rocket. That person is thinking of the 303. The 330 is a small block Olds. The 350 is absolutely externally identical and bolts in place. 99.9% of the people couldn't tell the difference. Use the existing 65 motor mounts.

The 455 is only slightly different. The big block has a taller deck height, but all the bolt interfaces (bellhousing, motor mount attachment, accessory brackets) are the same. Again, use the 65 330 motor mounts. DO NOT get 455 mounts. These are unique to the 69-72 A-body cars. You will need correct big block exhaust manifolds or headers, but the 455 is externally identical to the 400 used in the 65 442s.

The one difference is that all 68-up Olds motors use a different crank flange bolt pattern, so you'll need the flywheel for the later motor. The other problem is that Olds did not drill the hole for the pilot bearing on motors that were bolted to automatics. You'll need to find an M/T engine or use a conversion bearing available from the Olds specialty houses to retain your manual trans. Oh, and a big block will want a bigger radiator.
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM

Wagonman, please post your city and state. There might be someone right across town you could help you.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Wagonman, please post your city and state. There might be someone right across town you could help you.
I am in clackamas oregon.By the town center mall.

THANKS
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
First, the 330 is not an early Rocket. That person is thinking of the 303. The 330 is a small block Olds. The 350 is absolutely externally identical and bolts in place. 99.9% of the people couldn't tell the difference. Use the existing 65 motor mounts.

The 455 is only slightly different. The big block has a taller deck height, but all the bolt interfaces (bellhousing, motor mount attachment, accessory brackets) are the same. Again, use the 65 330 motor mounts. DO NOT get 455 mounts. These are unique to the 69-72 A-body cars. You will need correct big block exhaust manifolds or headers, but the 455 is externally identical to the 400 used in the 65 442s.

The one difference is that all 68-up Olds motors use a different crank flange bolt pattern, so you'll need the flywheel for the later motor. The other problem is that Olds did not drill the hole for the pilot bearing on motors that were bolted to automatics. You'll need to find an M/T engine or use a conversion bearing available from the Olds specialty houses to retain your manual trans. Oh, and a big block will want a bigger radiator.
Thanks for your help. I just got back from Idaho and this is my first chance to say thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:57 PM

If you haven't discovered Supercarsunlimited in Portland you should stop by and meet Greg. He's played with Oldsmobiles for decades and can tell you what you need. Also if you buy parts from him you can know its the correct part the first time! John
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:46 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
First, the 330 is not an early Rocket. That person is thinking of the 303. The 330 is a small block Olds. The 350 is absolutely externally identical and bolts in place.
You are so correct Joe, that one blew right over my head! thanks