Convert leafs to coils

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2016, 08:41 AM

Convert leafs to coils

Ok, always on a never ending quest to simplify (or not) my life, I am wondering if it is possible to convert the rear suspension on my 1955 98 from leaf springs to coil springs? I have never been a huge fan of leaf springs and the previous owner lowered my car in both from and back making it necessary for me to replace springs in front and back. Before I buy leaf springs, I would like to hear from you guys about the conversion options.

Before you say it, I know...my car is mostly original and once I make such a drastic conversion, it is just another step away from being original. I get that, but it's my car, I do not plan on selling it until I croak and then someone else can convert it back if they so desire. I am not doing anything yet, just entertaining the idea.

Thoughts and opinions please.
Old April 29th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Its not that easy. You can upgrade to a more modern coil over shock and 4 link setup like the protouring folks.
Old April 29th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Big job.

Replacing the springs would make for a lot fewer headaches.

- Eric
Old April 29th, 2016, 09:20 AM

That's a huge job with engineering and welding and modifying everything. proper new springs is a comparative cake walk.
Old April 29th, 2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Its not that easy. You can upgrade to a more modern coil over shock and 4 link setup like the protouring folks.
This does not seem like something I would want to do, it may be that new leaf springs are in my future.
Old April 29th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Administrator

If you have a spring repair company local to you, they can re-arch and beef up your rear springs however you want. Drop off in morning and pickup in the afternoon.
Old April 29th, 2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If you have a spring repair company local to you, they can re-arch and beef up your rear springs however you want. Drop off in morning and pickup in the afternoon.
Do you believe that should be less expensive than purchasing replacement leaf springs? I suspect it would be, but one never knows...
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:02 PM

This may be more work than you want to go to, but it would be a way to have newer suspension and drivetrain with the vintage body.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-455-56-a.html
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Williamaronson
Do you believe that should be less expensive than purchasing replacement leaf springs? I suspect it would be, but one never knows...
I've gone that route with a few Mopars and 2 Jeeps. A spring shop will set it to what ever height and as stiff as you want. The problem with just buying springs is you never know what they will be like until you put them on. Although I have not done leafs in a few years, I still believe my suggestion will be cost effective for you.
Old April 29th, 2016, 03:10 PM

Look at www.trucksprings.com they list replacement leaf springs for a '55 Olds "88" for $110.50 each. Give them a call and see if they also have them for a "98".A member from here ordered a set for his "88" not long ago. Larry
Old April 30th, 2016, 09:55 AM

Brand new for under $250/pr sounds like a bargain to me. Springs do fatigue, crack, and break sometimes. They are pretty important parts, esp. in the leaf spring system.
Old April 30th, 2016, 12:41 PM

It is official, I am giving up on my leaf to coil conversion in the rear and will either repair or replace the leaf springs I currently have in the car.

When I look at my leaf springs under the car there appears to be very little, if any, arc in the springs. They appear to be flat from front to back. I suspect that the previous owner had a ball lowering the ride of my car. I look forward to it having a more traditional stance once front and rear springs are replaced.

Most leaf springs I have seen go for about $250 per side. Under $250 for both rides sounds like a bargain, but also makes me suspicious tbh.

Who, if anyone, purchased leaf springs from www.trucksprings.com? Were they all you expected them to be or should I steer clear of this company?

Thoughts and opinions please.
Old April 30th, 2016, 03:11 PM

I have personally not done business with them ,but some member posted that he was ordering a set from Trucksprings.com.The company is in Saganaw,Michigan and has an A+
Rating by BBB. My '55 springs were settled with practically no arch when I got it ,and I put a set of bolt on helper springs on it that raised it about 1&1/2" at the rear bumper,
Since I never planned to have extra weight in it it functioned fine ,but at that time I had not found this kind of price for new replacements. Their # is 1-800-358-4751 ,you can ask about springs for the "98" , Larry
Old May 1st, 2016, 08:42 AM

I bought rear leaf springs from truck springs.com a year or so back for a Jeep. Perfect fit, rides well. Only issue was that they lost my order for a month, but when I finally called them, they found it and rushed the order for no extra charge. I plan to get springs from them for my 53 when it's finally time to tear something else apart instead of finding time and space to put stuff back together...