Drum to Disk Conversion on 69-98

Old December 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Land Yacht Skipper

Question Drum to Disk Conversion on 69-98

Anyone done this?
Anyone know of any kits that may be available?
Do I need new spindles?

any info would help

Old December 15th, 2008, 04:09 AM

I don't know of any kits. However, if you find a late 60s B or C body with original front disc you will never find replacement rotors for it. This is an option, just keep that fact in mind.
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Land Yacht Skipper

SS Brakes has a Kit .. problem 1 solved.

BUT Just ran into an issue now. The speedometer runs off of the left front wheel. .....not the tranny. How can I address this?

Old December 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by 69convertible
SS Brakes has a Kit .. problem 1 solved.

BUT Just ran into an issue now. The speedometer runs off of the left front wheel. .....not the tranny. How can I address this?

Some of the newer G.p.s. units can calculate your rate of speed.
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Land Yacht Skipper

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Some of the newer G.p.s. units can calculate your rate of speed.

Unless the GPS was a Dealer option in 69 , I don't think I want it .

I haven't done the conversion Yet. This might be a deal breaker. If I can't figure a way for the speedometer to work with the disk conversion, I'll need to keep the drums
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Land Yacht Skipper

HELP
========
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM

have you looked into scarebird brakes for a disc conversion?
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Well, you could change out the TH-400 (or whatever portion thereof that has the speedo gear section).
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:32 PM
rocwal

Disc brake conversion

Hi Al
did you look at the pictures that i mailed you it showed the conversion to my 68 Olds 98 Not a hard job but you have to change the spindles along with rotors . When i did mine i researched every forum online and all said it had to be done with Olds parts 67-68-69-70-OLds Delta or 98 only ,or a universal kit which cost mega bucks if you can find one. Your Switch was mailed 12/15/08 .
if you want i can mail you pictures myself now got my new PC working.

rocwal
Dan B

Old December 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Land Yacht Skipper

Originally Posted by rocwal
Hi Al
did you look at the pictures that i mailed you it showed the conversion to my 68 Olds 98 Not a hard job but you have to change the spindles along with rotors . When i did mine i researched every forum online and all said it had to be done with Olds parts 67-68-69-70-OLds Delta or 98 only ,or a universal kit which cost mega bucks if you can find one. Your Switch was mailed 12/15/08 .
if you want i can mail you pictures myself now got my new PC working.

rocwal
Dan B
Thanks Dan, I still have Pic's I will review. My question is the speedometer cable, if I switch to Olds parts from 67-70 can I keep the speed-o cable were it is at the front wheel?

PS I will look forward to receiving the switch soon.
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Thanks Dan, I still have Pic's I will review. My question is the speedometer cable, if I switch to Olds parts from 67-70 can I keep the speed-o cable were it is at the front wheel?

PS I will look forward to receiving the switch soon.
Yes, the spindle is drilled.
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Instead of setting up your TH 400 for a speedo that runs off of the tailshaft you could always get an aftermarket speedometer. They run off of a vehicle speed sensor. The problem with that is you would have to disassemble the dash to install the aftermarket speedometer.
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Land Yacht Skipper

Olds parts 67-68-69-70-OLds Delta or 98 only rocwal
Dan B

Dan you have Any for sale?
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
rocwal

drum to disc conversion.

Al .any what ???

yes i have the complete set up with excellent rotors, calipers would need new pads mabey new seals i replaced mine with seals from Advance auto parts , not hard to do if you have a air compressor and a OLds manual to refer to . but it would be much cheaper to try to find set up in your area. shipping for heavy items .

rocwal
Dan B

Old December 20th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Land Yacht Skipper

I dont understand why my speedo cable goes to my front wheel, while the 69 Olds Chassis Service Manual says the the Cable on all 69 olds goes to the tranny.

Any thoughts
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:16 AM
rocwal

drum to disc conversion 68 98

AL
Are you looking at the A body part of manual or the big OLds ,which ever the speed cable is in the drivers hub on all 65 to 70 mabey before, big Oldsmobile cars ,But the only one to fit your 69 are the 67-68-69-70 .The 67-68 are dual piston and the 69-70 are single piston calipers .LIke someone stated if you wanted to change transmissions to a later type you probaly could use the transmission cable , I know people that have changed to a trans with overdrive and done this . BUt dont know what speedometer they used.

rocwal
Dan B

Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
"I reckon so!"

wouldn't the later 71 72 73 74 disc brake setups work with later ball joints, or are the suspensions really completely different?? Are the a-arms different??

Just askin . . .
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Did you check with scarebird?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RATCHETMASTER
wouldn't the later 71 72 73 74 disc brake setups work with later ball joints, or are the suspensions really completely different?? Are the a-arms different??

Just askin . . .
Completely different. The 65-70 cars are rear steer (steering linkage behind the axle centerline) and the 71-up cars are front steer. No, you can't swap the spindles side-for-side. In addition, the 71-up cars use a different taper angle on the ball joint and tie rod end studs. Even if you could use the later spindles, the incorrect taper would result in an unsafe condition.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Oldsdruid

I dont understand why my speedo cable goes to my front wheel
Because that's the way all 1963-70 full size Oldsmobiles drove the speedometer, except for Jetstar 88s and some THM cars with K30 cruise control.

while the 69 Olds Chassis Service Manual says the the Cable on all 69 olds goes to the tranny.
Where does it say that?
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:33 AM

If I were wanting to put disc brakes on one ofmy cars, I would research that Scarebird conversion. It uses your present spindals.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
"I reckon so!"

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Completely different. The 65-70 cars are rear steer (steering linkage behind the axle centerline) and the 71-up cars are front steer. No, you can't swap the spindles side-for-side. In addition, the 71-up cars use a different taper angle on the ball joint and tie rod end studs. Even if you could use the later spindles, the incorrect taper would result in an unsafe condition.

Ahh . . . very interesting . . .

so like the change that occured on the F-bodies from the 69 to 70 up years.

Too bad. There are a lot of disc cars in the newer years.

The reason I asked is because the toronados have the same control arms clear up to 78. I was thinking that maybe, just maybe this might be the case with the B-body cars. I am not too familiar with the b-bodys.

Good info to know.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:55 PM

drum to disc conversion???

Out of curiosity would any one know if?? i tried to find information about this when i was doing my conversion and never followed up on it . can the rotor be taken off the hub an replaced with a say an Impala or other same size rotor ,I think they press off , if someone had an Olds hub that was no good and a junk rotor from another car to try this ,might be something to solve a lot of problems .

rocwal
Dan B
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Out of curiosity would any one know if?? i tried to find information about this when i was doing my conversion and never followed up on it . can the rotor be taken off the hub an replaced with a say an Impala or other same size rotor ,I think they press off , if someone had an Olds hub that was no good and a junk rotor from another car to try this ,might be something to solve a lot of problems .

rocwal
Dan B
If the rotors are two piece, this is possible. There might be some machining involved to get the center hole to register properly on the hub, but that's minor. The important thing is the offset distance from the wheel mounting flange to the center of the rotor. Minor differences can be accommodated by the sliding calipers on the 69-70 cars but the fixed four piston calipers on the 67-68 cars require the rotor to be exactly correct.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Joe those are the same thoughts i had ,if only had a wornout hub to try it ,all mine are in to good of condition to take apart . if someone could press one apart and go to parts supply store just to check out different rotors for size, do most the GM big cars have the same lug bolt space ?

rocwal
Dan B
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe those are the same thoughts i had ,if only had a wornout hub to try it ,all mine are in to good of condition to take apart . if someone could press one apart and go to parts supply store just to check out different rotors for size, do most the GM big cars have the same lug bolt space ?

rocwal
Dan B
It's a 5 x 5" bolt circle, used on most GM full size cars in the 60s and 70s. What's the outside diameter of a B/C body rotor? The low-end half ton trucks may provide a source, though those are probably one-piece rotors. Be aware that offset, thickness, and diameter all must be correct.