Hey guys! Looking for home garage simple mods

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:50 PM

Hey guys! Looking for home garage simple mods

Howdy, Jim here in Central Minnesota

just joined to interact with other Olds lovers. Have a 63 98 w/ 394 Rocket and I love the car.

I am interested in easy, benchtop / home garage mods that you guys may have done that worked well and either added to the looks or performance for a street rod. I dont currently intend to race it on the strip (or on the streets, either) but I will enjoy making it look and run great.

I am not really a good mechanic but I love diving in and tackling jobs that will have great end results. The body was partially repaired but its still in that non-matching panels with a couple others with partially repaired spots. The interior is near mint and it starts runs and drives like a brand new car!

I need to get under the car and ID the gear ratio so I know what I have to work with. I took all 4 of the original hubcaps off so they don't spin off into the ditch somewhere, in the event that someone were to accidentally put the gas pedal thru the firewall at a stoplight...

I have talked to some guys that used these motors in their race cars and have NOTHING but good to say about the 394, and from what I can see, its a lot of motor with a whole heck of a lot of potential!

Happy to be here and look forward to hearing what you guys have done to your Olds's!
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:06 PM
same but different

Welcome Jim. I'm not into the older models much. I have heard the same about the 394. It was THE engine in its day.

With that said, I'm sure it would respond to many of the things we still do today to our engines. I know that's not much help. Sounds like you have a good running engine now.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:19 PM

welcome to classic olds from another guy hooked on 63 98's
we need pictures so we know what you have to work with ( I just like pictures of other 63 98's)
Steve
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:52 PM

Welcome!
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:04 PM

Hello Jim, Welcome aboard. I think you may have accidently started this thread in the wrong section. You have clearly stated that you are not interested in high performance or racing. With that being said, maybe you could ask one of the moderators to move it for you. Might I suggest the big block, 98, general, or newbe sections. You may get a better response there. Anyway it sounds like you are interested in making your car reliable and good looking under the hood as well. I have a couple suggestions for you. First I would get rid of the points ignition system, in favor of the Petronics or similar electronic ignition. This seems to be one of the biggest sources of break downs on these older cars. Make sure all you're basic mechanicals, such as brakes and suspension are in good working order. From there you can move to the cosmetics. Clean and detail paint items in your engine compartment. You really don't need to be a mechanic to do that. It's very rewarding work also. The other area you may want to adress is the fuel system. In any case I hope you've found a good home. Now post up some photos. That's an order.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Welcome, I moved your thread here as it was mentioned above your not into racing. Hopefully the other guys can point you in the right direction for some ideas to dress up and personalize your car.