Olds 98 Regency Elite or Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Olds 98 Regency Elite or Touring Sedan

HI,
I'm new here. I need to get myself a full size sedan. I will use it mostly on the highway out here in WA state and west coast on I-5 etc.
What advice do you guys have for the 1991-1996 98 models?

I've driven a 1996 Regency Elite with the Series II 3.8l, wow what a nice ride on the highway, burns regular gas. I think it had a 2.84 gear ratio. Had the digital dash with computer, nice basic info but I wonder about reliability etc.
I read that this engine has 205hp.

I'm also looking at a 1994 Regency Elite with the supercharged Series I 3.8l.
It would burn premium only I assume. Has needle gauges, tach and speedo. Also has special 16" aluminum rims that look super, with the little red olds emblem in the center. I have not driven this one. I think there might be a 3.06 gear ratio on this car, not sure if they put special suspension on these with supercharged engine?? I've read this engine has 225hp.
I wonder if the extra 25hp is worth having to run premium and I imagine a little less fuel economy.

I haven't lived with either a Series I or II V6, so thought someone might be able to reply sharing their experience.
Thanks,
BillR
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Series I vs. II

I have a 1996 Ninety Eight Regency Elite. It's a really nice car. I range anywhere from 29 to 35 miles per gallon on the highway, it helps that my engine is pretty clean i guess. I've also owned a 1993 Buick Park Avenue Ultra. In my opinion, if your looking for better gas mileage and cheaper gas, go with the '96. If your looking for a car with much better pickup and don't mind putting 91 octane in, go with the '94 supercharged.
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:51 AM

I used to drive a 93 Buick LeSabre, I also had a 91 Buick Estate Wagon. The LeSabre is the same car as the Olds 88. I liked both the cars, and I read that the 88 is actually rated higher than the 98 in that generation since it's cheaper and rated just as high. If your set on getting a 98 then buy one that can run on regular gas. A 98 is supposed to be a luxo-barge, not a performance car. Ultimately you will get a good performing car on the highway even if you get the normal engine. Good luck!
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Past Administrator

Our family car is a '99 Buick LeSabre, standard model with the series II 3.8 liter engine. I think I got a lemon, twice over. Explanation: The engine blew out after 90 days so I was stuck with it, damage #4 rod bearing supposedly. I purchased a GM re-manned engine and had it installed by a Buick dealership. That engine lasted for a few months and it blew up too! So after the second replacement we have now received good service for the last two years with it. We like the ride, comfort, amenities, performance and the mileage isn't too bad. The LeSabre is the twin to the 88 and we looked at some 88's when we were initially shopping, the 88's are sportier and have a little more sport feeling in the suspension. I think if you are careful you can get yourself a good car, just be careful. I think my experience was a fluke. My turn was just up, that's all...
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Series I and Series II

I ended up getting both cars.
The 96 Series 2 gets to about 34mpg on highway. Wow, that amazes me. Nice car.

The 94 with supercharger, well it's fun but needs premium and gets 25 on highway. Big difference.
If I had it to do over again I'd have got both in the '96 with Series 2.
But I really like both cars, and will look at other Series 2 cars when the time comes to replace.