The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

65 olds 98

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2015, 06:24 PM

65 olds 98

I am new to this site. I have a 65 OLDS 98 and want to remove the padded dash. The service manual says one of the steps is to remove the shifter pointer,,,I do not know how to do this. Can someone help? Another question I have is how to remove the dash from the steering column. The dash wraps around the column and the dash is too narrow to come around the column. The dash gap is narrower than the column diameter. Can someone please help.

Thanks

Bob
Old May 4th, 2015, 08:31 PM

I cant answer your questions because I have never seen the dash in one of these cars. However, Im guessing you should take out the front seat for ease of the job. This is so you can lay down in the car to do what you need to do. The column should have a cover on the bottom, held on by some screws. Locate that and remove it, label everything as to where it came from. The column should be bolted up to the bottom of the dash, it may need to be just unbolted and lowered some, or you may have to take it completely out. The shift pointer maybe a rod or cable attached to the column coller that turns when you move the shift lever, you need to identify that and remove it first before you lower the column. Its pretty much self explainatory once your down under the dash, on your back looking up at it. Im sure there will be ALOT of components under the dash that maybe in your way. Air conditioning vent hoses, wires, cables, etc... The dash pad screws are small and should be all around the outer perimeter of the pad, not sure of the size, maybe 10-32? You really need an assembly manual for your car. You can get one from Wild About Cars for about 10 bucks if you join the site. You can download it and print the whole manual, or just examine it on the site. Theres probably alot more than i have said here, so good luck. Maybe others will chime in that know these cars better than me.
Steve
One more thing, you dont remove the dash from the column, you remove the column from the dash. Again you might get away with just lowering the column, but count on alot of STUFF being in the way. Label things, take pictures on your phone if you need to, or a digital camera. Get and assembly manual.

Last edited by steverw; May 4th, 2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old May 5th, 2015, 04:40 AM

Welcome, I like seeing more big cars here. I had mine out a few years ago but I suffer from CRS. I don't know if a vert is the same, and I don't have air, but I pulled my column then the dash. Not too bad. Like said above, removing seat helps. So does the Fischer body manual and Chassis service manual. And Wild About Cars is not 10 bucks anymore.
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:00 AM

This is a real suck azz job for sure. The pointer for shifter is attached to steering column bowl that moves when shifter lever moves and can be accessed by removing the small cover plate at steering column and dash. You must remove the steering column as like you say the lower dash pad wraps around it. If you try and flex the dash pad there to clear it will snap off. If the car has AC all the ducts will need to be removed for access... Lots of work but if you relax and take your time it will get done.
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old May 7th, 2015, 07:55 AM

65 olds 98 convert

Thanks to you that submitted responses to my question. I am going to put off the removing of my padded dash for now, sounds like too much work. I have a 65 olds 98 convertible,,,bought from original owner some years back,,rarely drive it(just turned 50000miles). Owner bought it new from Yukon Olds in Oklahoma in 1965. Will post pictures when I figure how.

bob
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:56 AM

Sounds like a plan, when the day comes for the dash pad swap brush up on a few new curse words different combinations as you will need them!
Old May 7th, 2015, 10:29 AM

Wow, now there are 2 of us here with 65 verts.
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:55 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Bob! x2 on the pictures.