The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie, first olds, 65 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2015, 01:12 PM

Newbie, first olds, 65 Delta 88

Hi everyone.
So I ended up saving a delta 88 at a bankruptcy auction. It was stored indoors with a car cover (came in the trunk) and it's in pretty good shape. No rust that I can see, interior is great, I even started it yesterday!
I don't have keys for it so I had to bypass and just hook the coil and starter.

I am super excited! They had a 66 Chevelle SS in the same condition, which is why I was there in the first place but it went for 13,500. WAY too much for my budget.

I'll be on here a lot looking for tips and advice. First up is figure out why the brakes don't work. Then drop the tank, new rubber lines for fuel and brakes, rebuild the carb since it seemed to think the top on the intake needed to be covered in fuel, and of course hopefully have keys cut.

It needs a water pump too. It's leaking from the weep hole. Are these rebuildable or do you just buy a reman?

Old March 16th, 2015, 01:16 PM

I like it, is it a 2bbl carb? I see it has AC and seats appear to have been recovered. This will be a very nice cruiser and that 425 is a strong engine.
Old March 16th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Great car! 425? 2V or 4V? High or low compression?

Looks like it's in pretty good shape. Gotta lose those velour seat inserts, though.

If it were me, I'd go the reman route for the water pump.

Enjoy! I had a '65 Dynamic 88 425-2V/High Compression. May have been the best car I ever owned.
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice score. Looks to be in great condition overall.
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Great car! 425? 2V or 4V? High or low compression?

Looks like it's in pretty good shape. Gotta lose those velour seat inserts, though.

If it were me, I'd go the reman route for the water pump.

Enjoy! I had a '65 Dynamic 88 425-2V/High Compression. May have been the best car I ever owned.

It's got the 2gc carb on it. Did they make high compression 2v motors?
I haven't looked at the numbers on the block yet.
The chevelle that was at the auction, they said he didn't like the engine it had in it after a year and swapped it out so this one might not be original either. It has dual exhaust, a big malorry coil, one of those goofy flexlite aluminum radiator fans too so it's been tinkered with.

I found a set of 15 inch aluminum rims for it with tires for 100 bucks on craigslist so it already looks better.

Old March 17th, 2015, 10:17 AM

I believe the 2bbl HC engine was standard in the Delta. The only way it would have factory dual exhaust is if it were equipped with the Sfire 425. In 66 this was an option on the Delta but am not sure about 65 models.
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by vernonm3
It's got the 2gc carb on it. Did they make high compression 2v motors? They sure did.
I haven't looked at the numbers on the block yet. Go get 'em!
The chevelle that was at the auction, they said he didn't like the engine it had in it after a year and swapped it out so this one might not be original either. It has dual exhaust, a big malorry coil, one of those goofy flexlite aluminum radiator fans too so it's been tinkered with. Bummer. Hopefully nothing too invasive.

I found a set of 15 inch aluminum rims for it with tires for 100 bucks on craigslist so it already looks better. Can't say I agree with your taste in wheels, but as long as you're having fun.

Old March 18th, 2015, 02:18 PM

Nice man, welcome to the party (also own a 65 delta). I'm curious about the dual exhaust too. Lets see some pics of the manifold/trans linkage setup

Last edited by StarGeneral; March 18th, 2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:51 AM

Wow, time flies when your busy!

Thought I would update a bit.
I pulled the radiator, had it hot tanked and pressure tested. Came out good.

Found a re-man water pump, new hoses and belts, and got it all in so I can sort of move it around under it's own power. I honestly was surprised the tranny worked after I added fluid.
1st and reverse so far, since it has no brakes! Thankfully the E-brake worked when I bought it.

So next on my list is the fuel system. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the rubber lines under the hood and cleaned the fuel pump. New fuel filter on the carb. Granted it is running out of a jerry can since I don't trust the fuel lines but I am amazed at how it sounds and how easy it starts!

I am a little stumped on the fuel system and brakes.

I put this on hold for a while but finally bought a rotary asymetrical 2 post lift and installed it. WHOOHOO!!!

So I went to pull the gas tank, and the previous owner was thoughtful enough to leave it full of 1992 gas. Man that was a smell I could do without. Good thing is it doesn't leak.

I got the tank out after draining it and it needs some pretty good cleanup inside.
I've looked at eastwoods kits, read about filling it with vinegar, suspending a nail inside and hooking that up to a car battery, yada yada.

I need some advice from you guys. I can buy an impala tank for under 200 new, but the filler neck doesn't look right and the vent hose hookup is in a different location.

I can't find a repop tank anywhere, which would be easier, but how do you guys deep clean an old gas tank?

What about the sending unit? It too is all gunked up.

Then the brakes. I tried with my fingers crossed to gravity bleed new fluid through it (it was dry) but nope. BTW this was an attempt to just be able to move it in and out of the garage. I would in no way take it on public roads like this.

I looked for wheel cylinders after that and it seems there are quite a few options.
Would I be better off just taking a front and rear to napa and find ones match, and do the same with the master?

I bought new rubber hoses too. Do you think the hard lines would be ok? There's virtually no rust under the car. Would it be ok to disconnect the hard lines at both ends and blow brake cleaner through them to flush?

Any advice you guys have would be awesome!
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

I looked for wheel cylinders after that and it seems there are quite a few options.
Would I be better off just taking a front and rear to napa and find ones match, and do the same with the master?

I bought new rubber hoses too. Do you think the hard lines would be ok? There's virtually no rust under the car. Would it be ok to disconnect the hard lines at both ends and blow brake cleaner through them to flush?

Any advice you guys have would be awesome!
I just went through this on my 67 Delta. I got all the wheel cylinders, M/C, and hoses from RockAuto, along with the brake shoes and hardware kits. Ignore any listings for "9.5 inch brakes". Those are for the Jetstar 88. Your car has the 11" brakes. Your stock wheel cylinders are all 1" bore. The 1 1/8" front cylinders are for the Police package brakes. Same thing for the M/C. This is not difficult and all the parts are readily available. Just be extremely careful when reading the listings.

Drums are the only part of the brake system that are difficult to find for this car. No one makes exact replacements. If you can have yours turned, do it. If not, you may be able to find NOS originals. The Chinesium drums sold by repro vendors for these cars do not look anything like the originals. They may be functionally equivalent, but they will be different.
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear its running on its own power. I'll ad to take the gas tank to the radiator shop and have then clean and pressure test it. Be careful with the float they are hard to come by. make sure you test it prior to reinstalling the fuel tank.
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:28 PM

Welcome and congratulations.Sounds like you are making excellent progress in a very short time.The car looks like it won't take much to make it look good (inside and out). Best of luck with he project. Larry
Old January 11th, 2017, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the ideas and well wishes.

I hope to be able to get it on the road for the summer.

I found another radiator shop that said they would hot tank the gas tank for 75, but thats the start price. He said it could be a few hundred if it's bad.

Has anyone had good luck with any shops that would clean and rebuild/fix the sender?
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the ideas and well wishes.

I hope to be able to get it on the road for the summer.

I found another radiator shop that said they would hot tank the gas tank for 75, but thats the start price. He said it could be a few hundred if it's bad.

Has anyone had good luck with any shops that would clean and rebuild/fix the sender?
I don't know were you located but a shop in Akron,Oh name Radiator Rich may can help rebuild that sender for you he been in business for 25years.Nice car
Old January 15th, 2017, 04:10 AM
GCH

Looking for a 65 Delta 88 convertable in Sweden

Nice car Really like the -65 model myself also.
Looking for a -65 convertible if it´s possible to buy one
in Sweden.