The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Got me a 1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 4 door hardtop! Love it but need parts.

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Got me a 1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 4 door hardtop! Love it but need parts.

Hello everyone! I'm new. Well I got this 69 Olds after the original owner passed away. The car was always garaged. Unfortunately the 85 year old started getting a little senile towards his last days. He had a bout of road rage after a "chinamen" cut him off as his son said on a street after he went for coffee. He lost it and drove the 365 horsepower Olds right into the back of the guy. Damage was not too bad but bad enough. I need new grilles, hood latch, hood middle piece, trim pieces, etc. The lights and bumpers are all good. But I am having trouble finding donor cars.

Well I absolutely love this car. I drove it on the highway and I am blown away at the power and responsiveness of the 455 4 barrel. I will hang out on here in the future to learn more.
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:54 PM
NôôB

welcome and just an fyi pics are a must here lol. you should easily find the missing parts on the for sale section and fusicks is a good place to get some items from also i hear.
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
welcome and just an fyi pics are a must here lol. you should easily find the missing parts on the for sale section and fusicks is a good place to get some items from also i hear.

Thank you. I started a thread on parts wanted. Also what is fusicks? I love gaining knowledge from you smart cookies! I will take some photos tomorrow to post them. I can't get over the paint on this car. This original "mirror" paint from the factory was amazing.
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM
NôôB

i havent dealt with them but fusicks is a place that deals in repo/original oldsmobile parts. there is a link somewhere on these forums of there catalog but i am not sure where it is. probably can google it also.

and i not a smart cookie i just repeat info i recieve lol
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM
NôôB

http://www.fusick.com/catalogdownload.htm
here you go i think this will help
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM

Welcome to the Olds forum & be careful with all that 455 power.
Have thought about ramming sobs that cut me off...I guess when your 85 you can lose your self control and just do it. Too bad the 98 had to suffer as well.

Just checking ebay for 1969 oldsmobile grill and these auction came up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-6...item35ad576c95

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item3a3fa7d2c3

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item5d2af220af

Maybe someone on here has a parts car with everything you need.
Could get expensive buying from ebay.
Good Luck.

Last edited by goodkarmech; October 24th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
http://www.fusick.com/catalogdownload.htm
here you go i think this will help
Thanks, good find. I need a new sticker for the air cleaner and they have that but they don't have body parts that I've seen. Seems their prices are quite crazy too. I looked at power window motors which are not original but chinese cheapies for $149 each! Even home here in Canada I bought identical motors from a local parts store for $60 canadian for a Lincoln. They were really cheap quality too. But they get the job done.

I hopefully can find a good donor car. I notice there are some good parts on Ebay.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by goodkarmech
Welcome to the Olds forum & be careful with all that 455 power.
Have thought about ramming sobs that cut me off...I guess when your 85 you can lose your self control and just do it. Too bad the 98 had to suffer as well.

Just checking ebay for 1969 oldsmobile grill and these auction came up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-6...item35ad576c95

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item3a3fa7d2c3

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item5d2af220af

Maybe someone on here has a parts car with everything you need.
Could get expensive buying from ebay.
Good Luck.
Thank you for the links! Ideally finding a good parts car would work best but I don't think I'll find one up in Canada. I looked at the 2 biggest in Alberta here and they had quite a few 69 olds 88's but only found a couple 69 olds ninety eights with front end stuff already gone.

I also am on a budget too unfortunately. So I guess I'll wait it out. Although I am thinking of putting an order in on Ebay.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Hopefully I could find one good car somewhere with all the little pieces I need and buy them all as a package and only pay for shipping to Canada once. Probably the chances are slim to none and Slim just left but I'll keep trying.

Boy once I fix this baby I sure don't want to hit anything as parts are a real pain to find! I hear these cars are worth lots for scrap metal. At $250 a ton from what I heard they are like 3 tons! No wonder many are not around.

But I will never let anyone touch my beast!
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:31 PM

I didn't even realize that a "hood extension" was a rare thing. This is a quote from wikipedia about the 69 98.

"Of the Ninety-Eight series, the 1969's were the only models to have an attached hood extension. After receiving numerous complaints from dealership mechanics about hitting their heads on the extension, Oldsmobile changed the style of the hood in 1970, removing the extension, which resulted in a flat hood design."

No wonder this design was only for 1 year. Well I hope i can find the parts because I actually want to hit my head on the hood extension, that would mean my car is fixed lol!
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by ridinginstyle
Thanks, good find. I need a new sticker for the air cleaner and they have that but they don't have body parts that I've seen. Seems their prices are quite crazy too. I looked at power window motors which are not original but chinese cheapies for $149 each!
You won't find body and trim parts for the '60s and '70s full-size cars reproduced new. Your only source is used parts from a donor car or finding the occasional NOS part on ebay. This site is good to advertise your needs on as well.

Yes, Fusick is expensive, but they have good stuff and have been supplying parts to the Olds hobby for 30+ years. There are many mechanical parts that you can probably still get for your car right over the counter at a local auto parts store. Kanter (kanter.com) is another source to check online, as is rockauto.com.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old October 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Oldsdruid

The sheetmetal and bumper is the same between 88 and Ninety Eight. The grilles and emblem on the "tooth" are Ninety-Eight specific.

Shame the geezer whacked the Olds in his zeal to whack the idiot.

Heh. Prices are only outrageous when you can find the stuff somewhere else. When the unobtainium is unavailable anywhere, the price people who have it are asking suddenly becomes reasonable.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:18 PM

1969 Oldsmobile 98 convertible

Hey guys does anyone have a close up pic of a fuse block for a 69' olds 98 convertible?? It's an all power optioned 455 rocket...the labeling is worn off of mine and I can't tell what the fuses go to or the correct amperage fuse to use for the unlabeled slots...I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on this so I can get this beautiful car back on the road...
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Linds
Hey guys does anyone have a close up pic of a fuse block for a 69' olds 98 convertible?? It's an all power optioned 455 rocket...the labeling is worn off of mine and I can't tell what the fuses go to or the correct amperage fuse to use for the unlabeled slots...I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on this so I can get this beautiful car back on the road...
Go here: www.wildaboutcarsonline.com and sign up for free.

Then go here: http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_12A.pdf and page down to page 12-11 for a picture of your fuse block. You might have to use the zoom feature on your computer (Control +) or print out the page and use a magnifying glass, but I was able to see the fuse sizes fine by just zooming it.

Then cruise around the entire 1969 CSM at Wild About Cars.

Enjoy!