The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1955 324 electroinic ignition

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2010, 02:22 AM

1955 324 electroinic ignition

GREETINGS FREINDS, I HAVE A 1955 98 SERIES 4 DR H/T DOWN HERE IN BRISBANE - AUSTRALIA, I WOULD LIKE TO CONVERT THE POINTS IGNITION TO AN ELECTROINIC SYSTEM. THE ENGINE IS STOCK AS IS THE DELCO DISTRIBUTOR, ANY SUGGESTIONS TO SOURCE THE PARTS WOULD BE GREAT.. THANK YOU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 016.jpg (116.6 KB, 24 views)
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:31 AM
...should get a life....

The guys in the States will be along in a couple of hours....they're all still asleep.
While you're waiting for them to wake up you might try Chevparts on the web. They're in Yennora in Sydney's west and cater for all GM cars at the right price. If they don't stock the right HEI dizzy they'll know who does. Rocket Industries is another chance.
Welcome aboard. One of our club members down here recently bought in a beautiful 55 holiday coupe. Nice cars.
Enjoy Classic Olds...great site, great people.
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:38 AM

I used a pertronix in my 324, have had it in the car for over 12 months and its fine. there about $80 US plus maybe $20-30 postage.

the other option if you want more spark would be to use the single points as a trigger for a MSD type setup, any one of those like crane or Holley would do, the points will last forever when only used to trigger the MSD type set up. I have actually bought a holley Hyfire to do this job and a MSD blaster 2 coil. I know a few guys who run this type of combo with good results.

as for the pertronix in my car, as I said I'm happy with it and my car is a daily driver not a weekend warrior, so its done about 10,000+ miles now. this is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go, takes about 20 minutes to do. the next step up is the msd type setup with points trigger, then electronic dizzy with msd.

if you want your dizzy converted to electronic there is a place here in melbourne called 'performance ignition' who are well known around the rodding circles. I got them to build an electronic dizzy for my blown flathead.

http://www.performanceignition.com.au/

if you really want the electronic, then give Tony a call at ross racing.

http://rossracingengines.com/p/249/M...nvertion-Dist/

but the dizzy will need a msd type box and thats total set up gets expensive. I would think that the place I mentioned would be able to do your dizzy for that sort of $$.

Last edited by flatoz; August 5th, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old August 5th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

Ha Ha! I'm the first one to reply from the states! Ha Ha. Welcome to CO. Looks likes your mates have already hooked you up. Nice looking car too.
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

The Col NEVER sleeps he's up 24/ 7
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Looks like you have already received the help your looking for. 55's are sweet rides. Some of us are into the earlier Olds.

The Col was up stoking the wood stove. Its winter down under and he has to keep the girls warm.
Old August 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the help guy's, I think i will check out the Pertronix option.. Have a great day
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have had a Pertronix in my boat for about 10 years and it works great. I put them in my friends 50, 54 and 68 Olds convertibles. They work great. It really helped the 54 crank better. You probably want to get the Pertronix coil too. Neat car. Enjoy.