The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1972 Olds Delta 88 convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2010, 08:31 AM

1972 Olds Delta 88 convertible

I'm brand new to the site. i think its great. i am restoring a 1972 oldsmobile delta 88 convertible. this is my first restoration and have no idea where to start. i want this car to be totally original down to the last screw. would love to have some insight on where to buy sheet metal like a trunk lid. and how to determine what the original color was. i see a tag that says body by fisher. but have no idea what the numbers mean.
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I don't think you are going to find repop sheet metal for your Oldsmobile. We usually have to get body parts from donor cars. If you are planning a full restoration a complete set of service manuals would be of great benefit to you, they show up on ebay occasionally. We use Fusick and Kanter for other parts, they both are on the internet. Post the body tag info and someone can help you decode it for you.
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome, I'm sure you will find all the help you will need. Post pics. As for sheet metal I believe you will have to repair what you have or find used as it is not repoduced.
Larry
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Thank You Very Much.
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:06 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Post some pictures of your project when you get a chance. It's always great to see works in progress. You'll find lots of help here. Post a list of the parts you need in the parts wanted section along with you city and state and someone might be able to point you in the right direction for parts of even have then in their back yard. All Oldsmobile guys are hoarders.
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Good choice. I believe there were only 5 or 6 thousand of those cars made.
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jason1069
I'm brand new to the site. i think its great. i am restoring a 1972 oldsmobile delta 88 convertible. this is my first restoration and have no idea where to start. i want this car to be totally original down to the last screw. would love to have some insight on where to buy sheet metal like a trunk lid. and how to determine what the original color was. i see a tag that says body by fisher. but have no idea what the numbers mean.
Nice to hear you're into big cars. You've officially joined the Oldsmobile Yacht Club. Jesse is the Admiral on Deck - you'll get along just fine.

One thing you'll find out quick is that a nut/bolt restoration may be a dream at the start but you have to be fanatical to finish, AND you need a huge pile of $$$$.

Post the VIN number of your car, and the info on the cowl tag (under the hood close to the firewall on the drivers side) and we can help you with the original colors, trim codes etc. If you've got a survivor (unmolested by custom work or mods) you might even be able to find the broadcast sheets and possibly the build sheet from your car as it came off the production line.//. Sound good?

Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing pics of your ride.
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! We like to see pics!
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:55 PM

I've got a soft spot for '72 Delta 88 convertibles. I learned to drive in one. I also spent a lot of time in the back seat of one at the drive in
One of these days I'll have one again...
As for sheet metal...you'll have to scour the scrap yards I think.
Not sure where you're located but in the Pacific Northwest http://www.allamericanclassics.com
would be a good place to find parts.
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM

wow!! thanks guys. i'll be posting pictures soon. this is a pretty awesome site. i'm excited.
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM

the metal is in good shape and i can do most the mechanical work myself. i just need a trunk lid and the rest is in great shape. i just want to get that 455 rocket on the road.
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:25 AM

I too am restoring a 1972 88 convertible and have no idea what to do
lets stay in touch maybe we can help each other
jon.f.roberts@gmail.com
Old December 30th, 2015, 04:45 PM

You may have difficulty making contact with Mr. jason1069. This thread is 5.5 years old, and clicking on his username reveals that he last posted on this site in July 2010. He is not likely to see your post.

But the rest of us would sure like to know about your car. Post some photos of it, and, if you could be more specific about what you have no idea what to do about, there are many people here who can help you.

What's the condition of the car? Does it run? What does it need?

You might start a new thread of your own in the newbie forum or the full-size forum. It's usually much better to start a new thread than to try to glom on to an old one.
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:00 PM

Welcome Jason, Desert Vallet Auto Parts in Arizona shows a '72 Delta Hit hard in front end,might have a good trunk.Might check them out.Parts from that area are usually solid.
Best of luck, Larry
Old December 30th, 2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Welcome Jason, Desert Vallet Auto Parts in Arizona shows a '72 Delta Hit hard in front end,might have a good trunk.Might check them out.Parts from that area are usually solid.
Best of luck, Larry
Time to go read through the thread again. "Jason" is the guy who started this thread back in 2010, and he and his need for a trunk lid for his car are long gone as he has not posted on this site since July of that year.

The new guy, who just posted yesterday, is apparently named Jon, if his email address is any indication, and he hasn't yet said what his car needs.