The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

hey guys!

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2017, 12:21 AM

Thumbs up hey guys!

New guy here. After many years I finally got my hands on my fathers old 2dr hardtop, it's a '63 F-85 Cutlass. It's in pretty rough shape and it's going to be a lot of work, but I am determined to restore it in his honor. He was in the process of rebuilding it when he passed away. I grew up in the Auto Body business, we opened a shop together and did a few body/paint restorations for Mosher's and many other top notch show cars before my father lost his battle with cancer in 2001. I was forced to sell the business and move into the insurance side of the business. I've have some money saved to to do this and it's time. I ended up lurking around here reading about other F-85 projects, so I finally figured I would officially join the group.

Lionel
Old February 25th, 2017, 01:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. Sorry about your Dad. It is tough losing a loved one and cancer is ugly. It sounds like you certainly have the skills for a restoration. Go ahead and post some pictures of the car and then start a thread for the restoration.
Old February 25th, 2017, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pics when you get a chance. My condolences to you. Is this a stock resto or ??.
Old February 25th, 2017, 02:59 PM

Welcome to CO! Your dad had good taste as 1963 was a good year for the F-85 Cutlass, body style wise, IMHO.
Old February 25th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Lots of info available here just for the asking... Good luck with your project...
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Welcome. Sorry about your Dad. It is tough losing a loved one and cancer is ugly. It sounds like you certainly have the skills for a restoration. Go ahead and post some pictures of the car and then start a thread for the restoration.
Thanks, it was really tough, he was only 56. I will definitely post the project info soon. It should be delivered next week, I got a nice spot waiting for it.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, post some pics when you get a chance. My condolences to you. Is this a stock resto or ??.
Thanks I'm not 100% sure. We both liked mild customs, but it seemed like he was going mostly original on this one. When we did the cars for Mosher's he got really sparked on the quality of work we were able to achieve with them. That's when he started the F-85. He had the bumpers straightened and chromed and all the moldings polished. They were rebuilding the original 215. That's when everything changed and the motor and parts went separate ways of the chassis. I am literally starting all over with a lot of missing parts. It's really sad that all of his initial work was lost.

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Welcome to CO! Your dad had good taste as 1963 was a good year for the F-85 Cutlass, body style wise, IMHO.
It's really a great looking car, he always had great taste in cars. He owned a few great ones while I was growing up.

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Welcome to the group... Lots of info available here just for the asking... Good luck with your project...
Yes thank you, I have already found some great info on here. It's gonna take me a while, but I am committed.

Lionel
Old February 26th, 2017, 04:37 AM

So sorry for your loss but welcome aboard
Old March 1st, 2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
So sorry for your loss but welcome aboard
Thanks. It finally showed up today