The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1969 442 W32 Converible and 1969 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Factory 4 Speed

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM

So now that we have figured out how to post photos, how about the GM of Canada docs?
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM
"Car"mudgeon

What happened to the camaraderie here on the CO?? When we all just said "Welcome to Classic Olds and what a beautiful W-32 drop top you have there" I don't remember Gary asking anyone to verify if his car is real. I do know he posted it here to share with those of us that aren't "brow beating" his car to pieces. He (Gary) did say that he specified A/C and he wouldn't accept the car otherwise and he did tell us the unfortunate series of events that led up to the replacement engine.

So with that being said I believe that he knows what he has and if you cannot comment on a good note then I ask to not comment at all. Gary has told me that he does not want to be part of any forum that picks his car apart. So come on guys lets criticize someone else on another thread that wants the criticism.

Now he does welcome positive comments and will answer questions that aren't negative in any way. That was a great question Gator about the top. Gary may or may not have stated that so far. As roughly 50% of this thread has been negative and unwelcoming as I've seen the Classic Olds forum get and although they think they are doing someone a favor they are actually making this thread look and feel just like the ROP forum.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
What happened to the camaraderie here on the CO?? When we all just said "Welcome to Classic Olds and what a beautiful W-32 drop top you have there" I don't remember Gary asking anyone to verify if his car is real. I do know he posted it here to share with those of us that aren't "brow beating" his car to pieces. He (Gary) did say that he specified A/C and he wouldn't accept the car otherwise and he did tell us the unfortunate series of events that led up to the replacement engine.

So with that being said I believe that he knows what he has and if you cannot comment on a good note then I ask to not comment at all. Gary has told me that he does not want to be part of any forum that picks his car apart. So come on guys lets criticize someone else on another thread that wants the criticism.

Now he does welcome positive comments and will answer questions that aren't negative in any way. That was a great question Gator about the top. Gary may or may not have stated that so far. As roughly 50% of this thread has been negative and unwelcoming as I've seen the Classic Olds forum get and although they think they are doing someone a favor they are actually making this thread look and feel just like the ROP forum.
This....

Beautiful car. He has no need to defend it.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:46 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Correct Eddie it is an awesome example of one of the rarest cars if not the rarest car on the CO.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
With all due respect, an appraiser documenting this car as a W32 means nothing. Saying the car is built in Lansing means nothing. You have a car whose records are available from GM of Canada. They'll document exactly what it is or isn't. Once you have those an appraiser can accurately assess the car.
I could care less if you post them here, but if I were you I'd
purchase them before they decide to throw those records out too (or get burned in a fire or whatever....).
Here is a photograph of the plate. Search for yourself. End of discussion.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:48 PM

Correct Eddie it is an awesome example of one of the rarest cars if not the rarest car on the CO.
And the fact that he's the original and only owner makes it that much more rare. Not too many people still have a car they bought new back in the 60s.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:02 PM

The original top was black but too hot in the summer when sitting all day in the sun so when it started to look frayed, I went for the white top. I made them take the glass rear window from the black top and instal it in the white top. Even with the parchment interior and the AC, the interior was unbearable.Thanks for reminding me. It was long ago. I think that I did the top at the same time as I did the wheels. I have not driven the W32 much since about 1994 as I have been interested in collecting other cars and that has had my attention.

Last edited by crystal59; June 20th, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:24 PM
"me somebody" site member

As roughly 50% of this thread has been negative and unwelcoming as I've seen the Classic Olds forum get and although they think they are doing someone a favor they are actually making this thread look and feel just like the ROP forum.
Although I have noted the reduction in civility on this site, not sure I agree this thread is an example. To go to far the other way, where like "home on the range", seldom is heard a discouraging word means we just accept everything at face value (which just aint how it should work either). I see nothing wrong with challenges to extraordinary (and frankly unproved) claims.

What baffles me is the number of posts and page views for this thread. Nice couple of cars. Next.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by WTony
Gary

If what I've read is correct, your the original owner of a 69 W-32 convertible with original paint right? Well, I am the owner of a 69 W30 convertible that "HAD" original paint when I purchased it in 1997. All original W30 and W32 cars had double horizontal stripes on the deck lid (I think someone here confirmed this saying they read it in documentation somewhere?) I do not remember if Chris's brown W-32 convertible from Canada has them, but I did see it at the Olds Nationals in Strubridge because my W-
30 was next to his.

When I restored my car I put the same stripes on the car as it had originally. It wasnt until a 442 guru buddy of mine came to look at the finished product that he said I had them wrong. And that the assembly manual only showed a single 7/16" stripe. I showed the photo's that I took before resto and it verified what I had put on. Since then I have document this with photo's of about a half a dozen other factory paint W 442's.

So, that being said, does your car have the same double horizontal stripe on the deck lid? And yes, they were sometimes crooked because they were hand painted.

Also, being the original owner of your car, do you have any of the original paper work from the dealership? Order form, receipt or window sticker? That would be all you would need to verify what you have to any appraiser.

Which leads me to my next comment. NO appraiser knows it all. I had one who was supposed to be "the best in the business" tell me there were over 400 W-30 convertibles made in 69. We ALL know thats wrong.

All in all, nice car, enjoy it.
All I kept was the original maintenance plate. I did not keep any of that documentation because I was young and I did not care about such things. When I first saw the car on June 6,1969 at the dealership with the soap still on the front window, I was more interested in where is the AC and the fm radio because I was annoyed that I did not get the car that I ordered. This was not oh well. I was considering a law suit. It did not take long to fall in love. Over the years, I have had a fair number of well made performance cars and nothing comes close in handling like the W32. I have cars that get more stares but in the corner it knocks the socks off of my corvette.

Last edited by crystal59; June 20th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Diego
So now that we have figured out how to post photos, how about the GM of Canada docs?
Will post those tomorrow. I use iPhone so it is a process to post one and then go to photobucket and then back and forth for each photograph. If you like I will post the Cutlass 4 speed documentation as well.

Last edited by crystal59; June 20th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
With all due respect, an appraiser documenting this car as a W32 means nothing. Saying the car is built in Lansing means nothing. You have a car whose records are available from GM of Canada. They'll document exactly what it is or isn't. Once you have those an appraiser can accurately assess the car.

I could care less if you post them here, but if I were you I'd purchase them before they decide to throw those records out too (or get burned in a fire or whatever....).
I have the GM documentation.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:01 PM

How do you go by getting the GM documentation? Is it available for all cars? I was wondering if I could get it for my car? Thanks
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Although I have noted the reduction in civility on this site, not sure I agree this thread is an example.
This . . .

crystal59
Yeah, I would love to see the Cutlass one. Actually that's the one that interests me more.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:17 PM

This . . .

Yeah, I would love to see the Cutlass one. Actually that's the one that interests me more.
OK. Will do. If I have trouble with the photographs format I will send again so the photographs can be posted. Also I will take the Cutlass out of storage and take some
photographs. The Cutlass has a black top which I did not replace. I had to replace the rear seats in the Cutlass as they were getting rough. So will take photographs this weekend and post next Monday.

Last edited by crystal59; June 20th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gator69olds
How do you go by getting the GM documentation? Is it available for all cars? I was wondering if I could get it for my car? Thanks
As I said in a previous post, the person is a real nice guy and his contact information is on the documentation I will post tomorrow. Good documentation to have and he has a 1800 number.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by crystal59
As I said in a previous post, the person is a real nice guy and his contact information is on the documentation I will post tomorrow. Good documentation to have and he has a 1800 number.
Ok thanks Sorry I didn't catch that in one of the earlier post.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM

Ok thanks Sorry I didn't catch that in one of the earlier post.
Give George a call. He is a really nice guy and good to talk to. I do not know how long he keeps the records so give him a call. He does not charge for a phone call and the documentation for a car is reasonable. You can ask for a quote.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Gator I believe Gary is talking about George Zapora at GM Vintage Vehicle Services in Canada and he can document cars built to be exported to Canada. There is no service like that for us with pre- '77 Olds here in the U.S. Other than production #'s and otherwise standard literature.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:48 PM

Wink

Gator I believe Gary is talking about George Zapora at GM Vintage Vehicle Services in Canada and he can document cars built to be exported to Canada. There is no service like that for us with pre- '77 Olds here in the U.S. Other than production #'s and otherwise standard literature.
Thanks GAOldsman, I just noticed all the Canada posts. Even tho my car is well documented I'm always searching for more. Thanks again
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:50 PM

Thanks GAOldsman, I just noticed all the Canada posts. Even tho my car is well documented I'm always searching for more. Thanks again

Tomorrow when I post the documentation, it will have the contact information.
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM
"Car"mudgeon

No problem Gator, I as well as many, many other people are looking for more documentation. But mainly, so to speak if you don't have it now your best chances are either finding the original owners or finding build sheets or broadcast cards within the car. Your car is very, very well documented. Many people that bought their cars new didn't have the extent of documentation that you have
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:14 PM

No problem Gator, I as well as many, many other people are looking for more documentation. But mainly, so to speak if you don't have it now your best chances are either finding the original owners or finding build sheets or broadcast cards within the car. Your car is very, very well documented. Many people that bought their cars new didn't have the extent of
documentation that you have
I wish I had known. I was only interested in getting going and impressing some girl. But weren't we all. Those days were pretty simple stuff.

Last edited by crystal59; June 20th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:40 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

You don’t have to defend this car. It is what it is. The fact that you are the original owner and have legit history is all that matters. You should however write all this down and stick it in a folder for the future because we are all just the keepers of our cars for the next keeper and that info would be valuable, at least to me. Do you think youd ever be able to track down the original 400? How cool would that be!
Bottom line nice ride thanks for sharing.
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
You don’t have to defend this car. It is what it is. The fact that you are the original owner and have legit history is all that matters. You should however write all this down and stick it in a folder for the future because we are all just the keepers of our cars for the next keeper and that info would be valuable, at least to me. Do you think youd ever be able to track down the original 400? How cool would that be!
Bottom line nice ride thanks for sharing.
Thank You for the positive comments. I wish I had kept all the documentation but I did not have plans to keep the W32 until it saved my life and then I patted the dash and promised not to sell her which later caused an issue with my wife for a while. My children have divided up who gets which car and they want to pass the collection on to their children. I live in a small town where I was born and raised. I think the 400 engine is still around and I will keep waiting and watching along with my friends. I am off to storage to take the Cutlass out and take some photographs to post. Any special requests?
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM

Just a thought. Since you've had the car since new and it's original, do you think the broad cast card or other paperwork could be above the gas tank or under the carpet? A lot of owners have found paperwork that way when they were restoring their cars. Again just a thought
Old June 21st, 2012, 11:27 AM

Just a thought. Since you've had the car since new and it's original, do you think the broad cast card or other paperwork could be above the gas tank or under the carpet? A lot of owners have found paperwork that way when they were restoring their cars. Again just a thought
Thank You. I did not know that. Are the carpets glued down because I do not want to disturb that if I can help it?
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM

Please see page 2 for the W32 option.

Last edited by crystal59; June 21st, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks. So now we know that 364 ragtops were sold in Canada.
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks. So now we know that 364 ragtops were sold in Canada.
I do not know how many were W32 convertibles. I heard there were two but nothing factual.

Last edited by crystal59; June 21st, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM

Zapora may be able to figure it out, or they may not. Either way, I know of two, but there may be more. Even though Canada had a smaller market than the US, it would be wrong to assume an appropriate scale of the total sample because I've seen production figures for certain Canadian cars that were of a decent percentage of total production. Off the opt of my head, I think a lot of the 1971 GSXs were sold in Canada, and I may have 1971 W-30 ragtop numbers that also are of a rather large percentage. I also have some Mustang info and it seems the biggest market for ragtops was not CA - what I'd conclude - but a colder climate like Boston. Perhaps their summers are short and there was a cultural issue of exploiting the good weather while it lasted?
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM

Zapora may be able to figure it out, or they may not. Either way, I know of two, but there may be more. Even though Canada had a smaller market than the US, it would be wrong to assume an appropriate scale of the total sample because I've seen production figures for certain Canadian cars that were of a decent percentage of total production. Off the opt of my head, I think a lot of the 1971 GSXs were sold in Canada, and I may have 1971 W-30 ragtop numbers that also are of a rather large percentage. I also have some Mustang info and it seems the biggest market for ragtops was not CA - what I'd conclude - but a colder climate like Boston. Perhaps their summers are short and there was a cultural issue of exploiting the good weather while it lasted?
That is what the dealership first said. You do not need AC, you have a convertible. I replied tell that to the people in Texas in the middle of the summer. Some days it is just too hot to put the top down, especially stuck in traffic. So give me what I ordered. It was not idle talk as my family had just purchased two new 1969 oldsmobiles excluding my W32 from the dealership and I am an attorney. Case closed.

Last edited by crystal59; June 21st, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:51 AM

Option VE1

On your build sheet I see option code VE1 for a rear bumper strip. I went back & to your pictures & looked at it. I think this is the very first time I have seen a 442 with that option. I have seen it before on a Cutlass Supreme but never on a 1969 442.

Thanks for your patience & persistence in this post & especially for posting the GM of Canada documentation. That documentation speaks for itself.

Your profile is not filled out so I am not aware of your location in the Lower Maninland. Where are you?

Any chance you might be bringing this car to the Tsawwassen car show in late August?. I would love to see the W-32 & I will be at my coastal condo during that time & plan to attend the Tsawwassen show for sure. I attended the Ladner show last year & it was very well attended but there were only 2-3 Oldsmobiles in attendence. I wont make that one this year due to a drag racing commitment that weekend but it is worth attending if you have not done so.

Enjoy your cars.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:29 AM

Something else to consider about the availability of A/C on W-32's is the gearing, Olds did not offer it on 3:42 ratios or higher, 3:23's or lower (numerically) was required, so, if the mildest gear that was offered on the W-32's was 3:42, then no a/c from the factory.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Yes we've covered that already, it (A/C) was dealer installed.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:08 AM

Yes we've covered that already, it (A/C) was dealer installed.
Yes, I know that, but there were still arguments of W32's (not this one) having it factory installed.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
On your build sheet I see option code VE1 for a rear bumper strip. I went back & to your pictures & looked at it. I think this is the very first time I have seen a 442 with that option. I have seen it before on a Cutlass Supreme but never on a 1969 442.

Thanks for your patience & persistence in this post & especially for posting the GM of Canada documentation. That documentation speaks for itself.

Your profile is not filled out so I am not aware of your location in the Lower Maninland. Where are you?

Any chance you might be bringing this car to the Tsawwassen car show in late August?. I would love to see the W-32 & I will be at my coastal condo during that time & plan to attend the Tsawwassen show for sure. I attended the Ladner show last year & it was very well attended but there were only 2-3 Oldsmobiles in attendence. I wont make that one this year due to a drag racing commitment that weekend but it is worth attending if you have not done so.

Enjoy your cars.
I have stopped attending car shows and meets as I always seem to attract some naysayers who demand to know such things as the reason I installed a CD player, Sirius and underneath gauges and any explanation brings about more critical comments. So who needs it? Let me know the date and I will consider it. This is the first Oldsmobile forum I have joined and I did so because I thought the members would find the W32 and it's history enjoyable. I was reticent about receiving negative comments and Thank Goodness the majority of the comments were positive and encouraging or I would have been long gone some time ago. I know the comment if you can not stand the heat etc. but I have nothing to prove. It was the comments by a few good guys who kept me in the mix.

Last edited by crystal59; June 22nd, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:04 PM

Crystal

Hang in there, You've got the coolest car.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Crystal

Hang in there, You've got the coolest car.
Thank You. The truth is I did not know what I was getting when I took over the order. My family has been dyed in the wool Oldsmobile fans and I think all Oldsmobiles are cool.

Last edited by crystal59; June 22nd, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the pictures. How many KM on your car now? Sorry MPH back in 69. You seem to have a number of cars. I like variety too. Hard to drive nice cars this year with all the rain. I am one of those guy who doesnt care how a car came to be. I just like cars. Different story if I was buying it. Sorry your getting the "treatment" by some. Seems to be some sort of on-line sport. I am hoping not to get the same once I start posting picture of my restore. I have the super rare 77 CS olds with a "no windows" 403 block. Apparently only made for the Canadian market. Has something to do with the cold climate here.

Mike
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:47 AM

solid main web 403 claim

Originally Posted by Mike77
Thanks for the pictures. How many KM on your car now? Sorry MPH back in 69. You seem to have a number of cars. I like variety too. Hard to drive nice cars this year with all the rain. I am one of those guy who doesnt care how a car came to be. I just like cars. Different story if I was buying it. Sorry your getting the "treatment" by some. Seems to be some sort of on-line sport. I am hoping not to get the same once I start posting picture of my restore. I have the super rare 77 CS olds with a "no windows" 403 block. Apparently only made for the Canadian market. Has something to do with the cold climate here.

Mike
A solid main web 403. Really?...Really?

Now today is not April 1st so I am assuming that you are serious.

You claim to have a solid main web 403 & your theory is that they were only sold in Canada & were mandated by the Canadian climate.

Wow....this is going to be fun.

You should really start a seperate thread with this post....it will be busy.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; June 23rd, 2012 at 07:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 1969 442 W32 Converible and 1969 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Factory 4 Speed