70 W-30 project

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2012, 03:56 PM

70 W-30 project

I just dug this car out tonight. i have hardly looked at this one sense i got it. i have not tried to turn the engine over yet but it ran when it was parked. the guy i got it from bought it in 86. he said it ran very well but then he parked it. the original color was reef turquoise with pearl interior. i feel sure it was painted before 1980 because it has an NHRA sticker on the paint that is dated 1980. the floors, trunk, wheelhouses, frame, rockers, and doors are solid. the quarters and front fenders have rust. this car was messed with pretty heavy back in the day. it had A/C but all that was pulled out and a standard heater box installed. also changed over from power steering and brakes to manual steering and brakes. the original engine and transmission were changed out for a 74 engine. some of the options are...

W-27 with SV code for an A/C car
Reef Turquoise
Pearl interior
power trunk
power seat.. (had no idea it was power till tonight)
rally pac
vinyl top
A/C car but missing all A/C parts
disc brakes
sport wheel

I am going to try to get this car running and tuned real good and make a good reliable driver out of it before i sell it. i have no documentation for the car and it don't have the OW transmission to provide proof it is a real W-30 so i will pull the W-27 out and save it for my A/C car. the date will match to mine also. this W-30 and mine were built two weeks apart. i don't know what rear end will go back in it yet.

100_9886.jpg?t=1346365785

100_9889.jpg?t=1346363466

100_9894.jpg?t=1346363492

100_9895.jpg?t=1346363520

100_9899.jpg?t=1346363559

100_9900.jpg?t=1346365941
Old August 30th, 2012, 04:08 PM

What would you want for it like it sits?
Old August 30th, 2012, 04:55 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

i'm second in line and will happily take it without the rear and the drive train for that matter. pm me a price you can't refuse .
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM

the W-27 is coming out for sure. if i do find documentation the W-27 will stay but it is not likely i will find any. feel free to make me an offer but don't be surprised if i turn it down. i thought about putting it on eBay as it sits with a real high reserve to see where it would go just to get an idea.

i have a TM 3.42 i thought about putting in it. other than that i only have single tracks.
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:12 AM
wait.... what....

I like this car, i think it's pretty cool looking!
Old August 31st, 2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by lunaboy
i'm second in line and will happily take it without the rear and the drive train for that matter. pm me a price you can't refuse .
how about 10K with a peg leg rear end. i sure wouldn't refuse that.
Old August 31st, 2012, 01:49 PM

good news... i turned the engine with a breaker bar with no problem. i just pulled the valve covers and distributor. looks good inside, i primed up the oil pump and turned the engine over a couple times and did it again. i have oil at most of the rockers now. i sprayed a little WD-40 inside each valve spring before i turned it to help prevent sticky valves. looks like i will be good to start it tomorrow. if it runs good i will move to the brakes and interior. i have some pretty nice pearl interior i am going to put in it. i don't have any carpet but i think i will just clean the floor pan real good and not use a carpet for now.
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:31 PM
Runner

Where are you finding all these cars?????
Old August 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

forget the peg leg ... 10k with the broadcast card and that nice pearl interior and I'll run to the bank.
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:06 PM

broadcast card is not likely going to happen. i did find an old registration under the seat with a former owners name. am trying to locate him and see if he would have anything for me. not likely because the car sit since 86.

for the pearl interior, i call it nice but it is still only driver nice.

Last edited by jensenracing77; August 31st, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:38 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

like the trim codes / color combo on this car; never seen one like it. Most likely a w30 by the looks ; original red inner fenders and all. Looks like the old paint under the red may show indications of the orig w30 stripes. maybe chk it out and take pics if you can. documentation brings this project car value ( even without the orig drivetrain ) to the 10k mark, but for re- sale to most in the present cond its valued in the upper range of any plain 442 with OAI hood.
Old September 1st, 2012, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
Where are you finding all these cars?????
it is mostly in this thread.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...rn-find-2.html
Old September 1st, 2012, 04:02 PM

here are a couple pictures of the floor pans. there are no rust holes but there is a little pitting in a couple areas. still very solid. someone cut and drilled a couple holes in the back floor pans. still no broadcast card. the power seat unit will take some work to fix. not sure i can. i may just put a non power seat in it.

i got it running but it has a stuck lifter. runs pretty good but i need to change the oil and filters. i may have to pull the intake before it is over with. i don't think the lifter is going to free up. it is stuck at the very bottom and the rocker is real loose. at least none of the valves are stuck.

i figured out that the front and back glass are leaking water. likely rust issues with it having a vinyl top. i will pull the trim and see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
floor1.jpg (54.0 KB, 132 views)
floor2.jpg (37.6 KB, 112 views)
Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM

the lifter never got any better. i pulled the intake and found that the top of one lifter was broke. it also had bounced enough that it scuffed the cam. i had a new JM 22-25-10 cam and lifters laying in the basement for several years now. i decided to put them in. i also installed a new edelbrock roller timing chain that i had. not likely going to run as good as it should because it is a low compression engine. i was never going to use this cam and lifter in an engine for me so i figured what the heck and stuck it in. i will start it up tomorrow and see how it runs after i brake it in.
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM

looks like i made a mistake.... i need to go back to working on ATV's, i must be much better at them because i had people from all over the US having me build there engines. when i put the timing chain in this 455 yesterday i lined up the triangle mark thinking it was the middle mark. i didn't even give it any thought other than just installing it in that position. i started it up today and found that it was very sluggish. i thought about it for a while and decided to look on the net to see what the timing marks were. now i know that the 0 is the mark i was to use. now i just have to pull the timing cover back off and move the gear. i would not have thought that 4 degrees would make it as sluggish as it is but i figure the cam must have some advance built into it.
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:30 PM

after much help from so many here in another thread, i have it running great. i have to rebuild a carburetor for it but the one on it runs pretty good. after braking in the cam i took it out in front of the house and it will lite the tires up very fast. felt good doing that with a W-27. i won't likely be doing that to much. i think the cam is a little more than i thought it would be. sounds very good. i am taking the Jetfire to a car show Saturday but Sunday after church i will try to get most of the interior in and get some better pictures.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:52 PM

i threw some wheels on it that i had laying around. they are a little small but will get the job done for now. i am looking forward to driving this car for a while before i sell it.
Attached Images
red 1.jpg (50.0 KB, 138 views)
red 2.jpg (57.8 KB, 129 views)
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Arrrggggg

Even needing body work and paint it's still one sexy beast!! I likey!
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:38 PM

I rebuilt the power seat unit. I have several hours in it. i wish i had before pictures but i have been lacking on taking pictures lately. i never thought this unit would ever work again but after rebuilding the transmission and lots of scrubbing and greasing, the thing works like a new one. As much as i would like to keep this and not put it back in the car i have decided that it is best to keep it in the car. i hope to be putting some of the interior back in tomorrow.
Attached Images
power seat.jpg (91.2 KB, 63 views)
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:39 PM

i didn't get to do much today. i was to busy selling parts and cars... i did get some stuff cleaned up but the pictures don't look like it. i cleaned some black over spray off the red wheel wells and cleaned the air cleaner top. i don't have a flapper door for it or a foam seal but the vacuum motor works that is on it. also cleaned the trunk pan, it only has one bad spot that is next to the left wheelhouse. the trunk lid is not very good but i have some ruse free lids. i think i am going to put one of them on.

i also took it on a 4 mile drive. i am very pleased how well it runs now. it also shifts perfect.
Attached Images
W1.jpg (125.4 KB, 107 views)
W3.jpg (104.6 KB, 84 views)
W2.jpg (111.9 KB, 86 views)
Old September 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM

after talking to another member here, he has confirmed what i was afraid of. as much as i hate to say this i am going to have to go another route with this car. With no documentation to provide proof it is a real W-30 i am going to pull or not include the W-30 parts and eventually sell them separate. i fell sure it is real but that counts for nothing. i will likely pull some of the options like the power seat also. i am in a situation that requires me to get the most i can from this car and feel this is best. with not even having the original engine or transmission, it will likely be sold as just a 442 with OAI like lunaboy said. i need a rally pac but i can't decide if i will leave that in the car or keep it for myself.

started putting in some interior parts. it is all pearl but some of it has an older yellow tint to it. i can't get that tint to clean out of it.

100_0023.jpg?t=1347317578
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Arrrggggg

Love that interior...where was this at when I was buying?!?! Keeping all the goodies for yourself Mr. stingy pants!! HAHA

Looking good Eric. IMO withor without documentation, unless you are taking it to Barrett Jackson it should not matter if you don't have it. I am more than positive someone would pay more for a W30 undocumented than a stripped off option 442 with OAI hood. Just my .02. However, if you won't get enough over the stripped down 442 price tag than what you could selling the option parts than yea, that would be the best route to go. Just my thoughts
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Not my car, not my decision, but I tend to agree with Creativeindy...if you believe it's a W-30, why not try selling it as that first and see what you can get? Just my opinion FWIW, from a guy who tends to falls in love with cars...
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:57 PM

NICE! Does have still have the F heads.
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:21 AM

the only W-30 specific parts left for it are the red inners and the intake (not on the engine). it has the W-27 that is date coded to work with the build date of the car, it is also a 3.23 gear that would also be correct to an A/C car but that is all i have to prove it is a W-30 and that is not good enough. the W-27 is coming out though.

i will list it as a W-30 with no documentation on eBay first just to see where it goes. i think i will leave the red inners in it the first time i list it. if it don't get to where i need it to be i will pull the red inners out and put black ones in. at least that is what i am thinking right now.
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:42 AM

It does matter.The broadcast sheet will boost interest & overall value of the car.Anything can happen to a car in 40yrs.,and there will be some that will argue or say that the red fenderwells could have been added in the past,or when the car was painted.The broadcast sheet or the OW trans with the matching VIN would do it,but both are not there.Just make sure you search every possible crevice for that sheet,before giving up hope.If there is nothing in the end,then selling it as an OAI 442,and selling the W30-specific parts separate,is your best bet.Been there,done that.Not exactly what I want or like to do,but when you want to get the most out of it,that is teh way to go.There are plenty of other guys that have done the same.The guys with documented cars,missing the parts,will pay the good money for the parts.
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM

i put the front seats in and took it for another 4 mile drive. the headliner is falling down now. i will have to pull it out because you can't see out the back window. i just put insurance on it so i will try to take it for a longer trip soon. the brakes work good but i need to look all the lines over before i get out on to big of a trip.

100_0046.jpg?t=1347491662
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by joesw31
Your W-30 appears to be legit with the components it has. Maybe you can do a title search and verify thru previous owners that it is infact a W-30. I don't think a person would install all of those components years ago to make a clone. JMO
i agree and i am trying to locate a former owner but can't seem to get in touch with him. only thing is, if he can't provide a paper document or have the original OW transmission i still can't prove it is real to a buyer. this has sit since 1986 that i know of and it was painted before 1980. i don't think they were into cloning cars then. you can even see where they taped around the W-30 emblems to paint it.

i almost decided to restore this one and sell the one i have documentation to. documentation is not as big a deal to me for my own car and i could get more out of the other one.
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:13 AM

It's looking good Eric.That interior has a nice petina,and still has some life left in it.Maybe that broadcast sheet is up in the headliner.There's always a chance.I also found one that was placed on top of the rear seat foam,before the vinyl cover was installed.I never would have found it if I didn't remove the cover to recover the seat.This was in a 70 post coupe that was built in Fremont,CA.When you had the rear seats out,did you remove the side 1/4 panels,look behind those,and down in the window cavities?
Old September 13th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Eric,
Drive that thing out my way and we will have some fun with it. I can help you tear all the panels apart looking for that build sheet and then put everything back together.
On another note, I got my '70 F 85 running, driving, and stopping recently.
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:43 PM

i haven't found the broadcast card but i did find another document. it is the application for certificate of title. it is from the owner before the owner i got it from. anyone know a Ronald W Nelson Jr that lived in the Indianapolis area in 1984? i can't locate him yet. he bought the car in 1984 with 115243 miles on it. he sold it to the guy i got it from in 1986 with 118000 miles. i got it may 2012 with 118700 miles on it. at this point i can't find any history before 1984 other than the NHRA stickers from 1979 and 1980 on top of the paint.

09-14-2012032912PM.jpg?t=1347651416
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Old School Olds

$200! What a steal, lol.
Old September 15th, 2012, 01:22 PM

i had 3 pin holes develop in the gas tank. i pulled it off and found that the inside looks very good. i thought it would be terrible inside. Scott is looking to see if his extra one is good. if not i located another one also. i was a little surprised to see the bottom side of the trunk pan in very nice condition. the more i take apart on this car the more solid i feel it is. i also figured out that it may be a California car. it has the 3 fuel lines and the extra vent by the tank. i also pulled the rear end out and taking it to a friends house tonight. he is going to store it in a secure place for me till i need it.

100_0117.jpg?t=1347740253

100_0141-1.jpg?t=1347740287
Old September 15th, 2012, 05:54 PM

What is the date code on the W-27? And are there any fins ground down on the W-27 cover?
Brian was telling me about that today. from what i can tell it does not look to have any machined off. i did look in the assembly manual and it showes a differant routing for the lines for a W-27 car. i wonder if it would actually require being cut, or if the early ones did not get cut? then there is always the possibility that the W-27 did not come in this car. i can't remember the date on the rear end, i will have to look again. the car is 3rd or 4th week of october 69 if i remember right.

anyone know what the stamping means on the top of the W-27? it is 10949 but the 1 rubbed off. i thought there was a number before the 1 but couldn't tell what it was. i tried to clean it better and the 1 came off...oops

100_0162.jpg?t=1347757022

100_0147.jpg?t=1347756947

Last edited by jensenracing77; September 15th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old September 15th, 2012, 05:57 PM

what a cool car. would be a shame to part it! heck just cruise it the way it is. nice find.
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:11 PM

I looked at the instruction sheet and there is no date on it.
was there an instruction sheet on grinding it down? could you send me a copy? jensenracing77@yahoo.com
i am glad mine is not because the car it is going in does not have the other vent.
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by charlierogers
what a cool car. would be a shame to part it! heck just cruise it the way it is. nice find.
it is not getting parted out. i can not prove it is a W-30 so i am pulling the W-27 to put in my car. i have a TM 3.42 that i may put in this car. i may also be getting an SH 3.42 soon. i will put one or the other in it.
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:38 PM

just found it on WAC Joe. it takes me a long time to navigate there. don't look like mine was cut.
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:31 PM

What's the deal with the ground down fin?
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Intragration
What's the deal with the ground down fin?
i believe to clear a smog line that goes to canister in engine bay the cali cars carried for emissions {sp}

Last edited by charlierogers; September 15th, 2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: x

Quick Reply: 70 W-30 project