Vista Body on Rotiseri

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM

Vista Body on Rotiseri

Hi, I have done several frame off restorations on 67-73 442's but have never had a body of a Vista Cruiser on my rotiseri. It is longer and I would like to leave all the roof glass and side glass in. The fixture is long enough but am concerned about the vista glass cracking from the stress of the body bowing a little in the middle. The car is a 70 Vista Cruiser and will have the doors,gate and interior out. Has anyone had a vista body on a rotiseri? Thanks Steve
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Not familiar with putting a Vista on a rotiseri but I would not take the chance of cracking the glass its to hard to come by from all the information I have seen on the VIsta forum. The glass needs to come out for the complete restor anyway.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM

I agree with Pat. Don't leave the glass in your car. You are asking for trouble if you do.

I imagine the body will fit on a rotisserie without too much trouble. It will ultimately depend on what type of rotisserie you have. You might check the manufacturers website. They probably have specifications on their rotisserie.
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I am worried if I try and cut the glass out I may crack it. The windows don't leak and there is no rust around them so that is why I don't want to disturb them. The body will fit on my rotiseri just worried about the flex. Steve
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Steve, if you are worried about the body flexing then think what a little bit of torsion on the body will do to your glass when you put it on the rotisserie. If you are afraid of removing the glass yourself then find a local shop to do it for you. I had a local shop remove my rear window so I could repair the window channel. I had the same feelings you did. I didn't want to risk removing it myself so I took it to a pro that guaranteed his work. He even stored the window for me for a week while I did the repair. It only cost $60 for him to remove and install it. I was very impressed with his work. Check out your local yellow pages and make some phone calls I am sure there is a glass shop near you that would be willing to help out.
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM

I was just thinking and how much more would the body flex on my rotiseri than running down the road over bumps,dips and uneven roads?? I may just lift the body off the frame and put a 4x6 in the frona dn rear of the bodoy on stands and see if it sink in the middle and go from there. I do have a good glass guy who puts in my windshields and he would probably take the glass out for me. Thats a ways off yet. Steve
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Why take chances...Here's a story for you

Originally Posted by 70vista
I was just thinking and how much more would the body flex on my rotiseri than running down the road over bumps,dips and uneven roads?? I may just lift the body off the frame and put a 4x6 in the frona dn rear of the bodoy on stands and see if it sink in the middle and go from there. I do have a good glass guy who puts in my windshields and he would probably take the glass out for me. Thats a ways off yet. Steve
Steve,
I think Jesse makes a really valid point in suggesting taking out the glass. You also make a valid point that there doesn't seem to be a really good reason to take it out except for fear of cracking/breaking during flex on the rotisierie.

Here's my experience. When I had my rocker panels replaced (badly rusted out) several years ago, when the drivers side was cut out, the car dropped several inches, and unexpectedly. Nothing you could see was damaged, and the new rockers went in flawlessly, painted and done like dishes.

Then it rained. Water started going into the trunk through the window seals that had "let go" when the car dropped. (remember you were worried about torsional flex? Yup, that's what happened here) Course, how would you have known? The glass didn't break, or crack - nothing. I didn't find the water in the trunk until about a week after the rain. By then it was too late, all the trunk carpet and sound deadener was smelly and had to be chucked. So that's when I tracked down the leak. Yup, sure as heck it was the window seal opposite the side that dropped.

My neighbor worked as the manager of a glass shop so we swapped cars for the day. He took out the rear window and replaced the seal. What a guy-no charge....Dang, I miss him since he moved away.

Anyway, I can't stress enough that you're dealing with a car that's 39 years old. So's the window sealant. I would not risk anything on this resto. You obviously know how incredibly expensive and rare the vista glass is. Also, keeping the glass in just makes the body on the rotisierie that much heavier and subject to accidental scratching. I would take it out and not worry about media blasting or anything else. New window sealant kits are cheap. Anyway, that's been my experience and my suggested 2cents worth. Hope your project turns out really well. Put up some pictures for us soon. It's always nice to the car prior, during and after the works been done.
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Go For It

What about with a heavy load on the roof and going around corners fast?
It's pretty well all boxed and reinforced back there to maintain that large opening and all the door weight hanging off the one side, cargo floor weight, roof rack load weight, the whole car has A,B,C and D pillars.

I've seen those Vista roofs cut off and the windows don't break, that glass will flex some and it's pretty solid around the openings.

It may not be the resto norm but I would leave them in too if they don't leak and the channels are good. I think it's better to just leave well enough alone with them from the horror stories I've heard.
A lot more have been broken removing or handling them than anything else.

I would test it out like you said, you should be able to tell pretty fast if it's going to go anywhere.
Take diagonal point to point measurements in a few places for a baseline first if you're worried. I bet it doesn't move at all or enough to mean anything.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:41 AM

I am going to pressure wash the undercarrige this weekend and really see what I got. If the undercarrige is in really good shape I might just do a nose off resto. I plan on driving this car a lot so it may be good enough if I just do some detailing and rebuild the suspention. Steve
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:46 AM

That would be alot easier than a frame off restoration. Keep us posted and post pics if you can.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I am going to pressure wash the undercarrige this weekend and really see what I got. If the undercarrige is in really good shape I might just do a nose off resto. I plan on driving this car a lot so it may be good enough if I just do some detailing and rebuild the suspention. Steve
Morning Steve,
I really enjoyed looking through your web page rebuild on your 442. Are you putting one together for the VC too? If yes, can you put the link on the site so we can see the pics as you go?
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM

I will be starting a album soon for this car. I may have found the color it's a Dupont Hot Hues color called Molten Bronze but this may change. I like sharing my pics as I do the car as it keeps me motivated.
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Hi All, After pressure washing the undercarriage it looks good but I have to do a frame off on it. I just won't be happy unless I do. I will make a decion on the glass when the body gets close to coming off the frame.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM

I started to tear this car a part a little. So far I removed the rear bumper an all the gate trim to rough out the damage on it. It was knocked in pretty far put came out good. I will attach a couple of before and after. They are tough to tell but it is a big difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_3140.jpg (69.7 KB, 209 views)
100_3141.jpg (72.6 KB, 171 views)
100_3146.jpg (72.2 KB, 144 views)
100_3147.jpg (63.5 KB, 133 views)
100_3148.jpg (62.3 KB, 161 views)
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Bolt a four by four in place of the frame rails ..?
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Registered

I started to tear this car a part a little. So far I removed the rear bumper an all the gate trim to rough out the damage on it. It was knocked in pretty far put came out good. I will attach a couple of before and after. They are tough to tell but it is a big difference.
That looks really good from what it was.
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
is Fast Enough ...

This guy has door replacement frame that would reduce flexing on any car ...

100_3393.jpg

this thread ...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post117011
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:46 PM
Registered

Those convertibles have to be braced good or the cowl and quarters go bluh.

I dig the boat trailer, brilliant.

I wonder if the guy's looking for the manual that's sitting on top of the cowl?
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
is Fast Enough ...

The angle of the dangle seems correct ...

Old October 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM

I did a brace like that when I did the frame off on my 68 442 convertible. I think the body is rigid enough to put on the rotiseri.

Originally Posted by mugzilla
This guy has door replacement frame that would reduce flexing on any car ...

this thread ...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post117011
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM

I did some more work on the vista. I started to fit the W-25 hood and got the mouldings off the roof glass looks real good in the glass openings. More pics.
Attached Images
100_3149.jpg (68.5 KB, 232 views)
100_3151.jpg (62.1 KB, 167 views)
100_3153.jpg (50.3 KB, 177 views)
100_3155.jpg (61.0 KB, 143 views)
100_3154.jpg (71.7 KB, 182 views)
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Registered Luser

Nice to see some pics and progress! I may have a couple of the moldings you need..definetely the wheel opening. I'll check on what I have and try to get some pics to you!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Registered

Those channels look nice, no surprises is always good.

I have some extra rocker moldings all bundled up from when I bought the car I've never looked at, I'll check to see if any lower quarter pieces are in there.
Check evilbay, I got fender and rear wheel opening moldings dirt cheap because they had no idea what they were for or nobody else wanted them, still in GM wrappers.

I see the tailgate top two-tone paint molding once in a while on there, may be the same one being listed over and over.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:20 AM

I would really apprciate the help with the mouldings. I really need to find the roof mouldings for the to-tone. This weekend will start taking all the side mouldings off and disassemble the front end and the begiing to get the drivetrain out and body ready to come off but that is a little ways away. If anyone is interested the W-25 repro hodd fit ok but can't use the hood pop up spring because the bolts that hold it hit the hood frame and won't close all the way. Still trying to figure something out there. Will post some pics by the end of the weekend.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Registered Luser

[QUOTE=70vista;117913]... the W-25 repro hodd fit ok but can't use the hood pop up spring because the bolts that hold it hit the hood frame and won't close all the way. Still trying to figure something out there...QUOTE]

Steve, can't you just remove the spring and latch and just use the lockdowns? Did the hood come with the kit? Also, on my hood, I bought the springs for the glass hood, and they weren't strong enough to keep it up! The stock hinges worked perfect. I only have the r/r w/o molding...$25+ ship. If interested, I'll send a pic.....
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM

[quote=ent72olds;118125]
... the W-25 repro hodd fit ok but can't use the hood pop up spring because the bolts that hold it hit the hood frame and won't close all the way. Still trying to figure something out there...QUOTE]

Steve, can't you just remove the spring and latch and just use the lockdowns? Did the hood come with the kit? Also, on my hood, I bought the springs for the glass hood, and they weren't strong enough to keep it up! The stock hinges worked perfect. I only have the r/r w/o molding...$25+ ship. If interested, I'll send a pic.....
Eric, I can use it without the pop up spring and I did get the kit. I will take the moulding if in decent shape. paypal? Thanks
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Got some more done on the car this weekend. Removed all the lights,side mouldingsans scripts. I did't relize the amount of stainless on this car. Here are some pics.
Attached Images
09 70 vista 083.jpg (126.0 KB, 164 views)
09 70 vista 085.jpg (102.7 KB, 119 views)
09 70 vista 087.jpg (114.8 KB, 144 views)
09 70 vista 090.jpg (109.9 KB, 121 views)
09 70 vista 092.jpg (82.3 KB, 151 views)
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:55 PM

Just some more progress on the Vista. here are the pics.
Attached Images
09 70 vista 093.jpg (84.8 KB, 177 views)
09 70 vista 118.jpg (79.7 KB, 184 views)
09 70 vista 124.jpg (97.3 KB, 186 views)
09 70 vista 134.jpg (89.2 KB, 205 views)
09 70 vista 137.jpg (75.5 KB, 222 views)
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Registered

That's really coming along.
I see you use the same cardboard as me.

I think there's about a running mile of stainless.
Somebody did measure it all once, I have to find that info.
I spent a whole winter straightening mine out and buffing it.
By the time I was finished I actually knew what I was doing.
The anodized pieces like around the door windows and on the post you can't do much with or the stuff comes off.

Is that some sort of filter on the trans line?

Last edited by Bluevista; November 3rd, 2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:33 AM

I like the cardboard it is better than a creeper (keeps moving all the time). If you get the cardboard from china it is puffier. That is a trans filter on the line which is kinda odd for a add on. I took a rough measurment on the stainless and it was about 126' without the roof rack. I am having it polished by a guy who specializes in stainless. I am still trying to figure out how the door window trim comes off. The body should be ready to come off this weekend. Still trying to figure out where to lift it as it is different in the rear than a cutlass.

Originally Posted by Bluevista
That's really coming along.
I see you use the same cardboard as me.

I think there's about a running mile of stainless.
Somebody did measure it all once, I have to find that info.
I spent a whole winter straightening mine out and buffing it.
By the time I was finished I actually knew what I was doing.
The anodized pieces like around the door windows and on the post you can't do much with or the stuff comes off.

Is that some sort of filter on the trans line?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:01 AM

I love it

Great job keep up the good work.

I would guess my 69 has about 200 feet of trim in 250 pieces.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Registered

I like the cardboard it is better than a creeper (keeps moving all the time). If you get the cardboard from china it is puffier. That is a trans filter on the line which is kinda odd for a add on. I took a rough measurment on the stainless and it was about 126' without the roof rack. I am having it polished by a guy who specializes in stainless. I am still trying to figure out how the door window trim comes off. The body should be ready to come off this weekend. Still trying to figure out where to lift it as it is different in the rear than a cutlass.
I'l have to remember the puffier Chinesium cardboard technique.

I could never get used to a creeper and I just fit under the frame on the cardboard when I'm at my optimal weight.
I need to push the car up a little and inhale deeply to get under it now, have to work on that this winter too.

I think that trim is wrapped around the the window frames somehow?
It doesn't come off easily from what I've heard. I didn't even try to get it off for fear of bending it up but if you figure it out I have some scratched up driver's door pieces that could use replacing.

Last edited by Bluevista; November 3rd, 2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: I'll never tell
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
My 73HO

Nice looking project you have there Steve ! I agree , posting pictures helps motivate me also on my project! Keep us posted please.....
Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I did some more work on the vista. I started to fit the W-25 hood and got the mouldings off the roof glass looks real good in the glass openings. More pics.
Is this the Parts place W25 hood? If it is, doesn't make sense that the hood spring won't work. 70Post might have some fitment tips for you about these hoods. I know he's done some.

Looking forward to the continuing restoration. You have a beautiful car. Judging from the condtion of the body, either it has really low miles, or was always garaged, maybe both?

If you're interested, I think I have a link to replacement woodgrain. I'll check my records if you need it.
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Yes this is a parts place W-25 hood. It si a little different on the underside compared to a original W-25 hood. It will work as is I hope. I also put a link on my web page for the Vista Cruiser at http://69.205.125.5
Originally Posted by Allan R
Is this the Parts place W25 hood? If it is, doesn't make sense that the hood spring won't work. 70Post might have some fitment tips for you about these hoods. I know he's done some.

Looking forward to the continuing restoration. You have a beautiful car. Judging from the condtion of the body, either it has really low miles, or was always garaged, maybe both?

If you're interested, I think I have a link to replacement woodgrain. I'll check my records if you need it.
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:50 AM

Nice web site you have there! Great progress pics of the cars you have restored as well!
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Just a few more pics of work done today. I show the pics of the upper control arm bushings because they are so shot!! Here are some pics
Attached Images
09 70 vista 138.jpg (66.3 KB, 152 views)
09 70 vista 144.jpg (88.9 KB, 161 views)
09 70 vista 145.jpg (47.9 KB, 164 views)
09 70 vista 147.jpg (48.1 KB, 164 views)
09 70 vista 140.jpg (83.4 KB, 159 views)
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Got some more work done on the vist cruiser today. I decided it was best to take all the vista and side glass out so had my local glass guy come out and had it all removed. I am happy I did as there was a little rust in a couple of spots and none of it broke. Here are some pics of the openings.
Attached Images
100_3308.jpg (63.9 KB, 126 views)
100_3309.jpg (70.5 KB, 123 views)
100_3310.jpg (63.0 KB, 100 views)
100_3311.jpg (67.2 KB, 114 views)
100_3312.jpg (43.7 KB, 104 views)
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM

More progress on my Vista Cruiser. The body is ready to come off the frame. I plan on getting the body off then rebuild the frame/suspention and get the body on the rotiseri. I will the prep the body shell and paint the bottom and but the body back on the frame. That should keep me busy all winter. Here are some pics of where it is now.
Attached Images
09 70 vista 232.jpg (85.6 KB, 141 views)
09 70 vista 233.jpg (77.7 KB, 145 views)
09 70 vista 234.jpg (73.4 KB, 123 views)
09 70 vista 235.jpg (71.1 KB, 121 views)
09 70 vista 236.jpg (84.5 KB, 133 views)
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the updates and great pics. Your updates are an inspiration to all of us slaggers that there more to life than just work and household projects.

Your 68 442 vert looks great. Hopefully sooner than later I can get my 68 vert back together and on the road. Nice Website.

Keep the pics coming.

Quick Reply: Vista Body on Rotiseri