Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by citcapp
I now rate you as a journeyman car electrican. You can add this to your many other titles. Good job alway good to have backup
Jack of all trades.....master on none
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:36 PM
car guy

Well a while back I had a horrible rechome job done Mr G's on a real floor shift gauge bezel I had picked up. I still have the stripped one I picked back up from them but I had an idea tonight. My original column shift bezel is in excellent condition and I happen to have a junk dash out of a 67. After a little measuring I discovered there is one place next the the light switch thats just big enough to cut out a section of the groved material.

I cut it out was a little demmel saw and then got it close with a belt sander. Final fitting was done by hand. The very corners were into the smooth area so I cut groves by hand with a tiny file. Once I get a little touch up paint on it you will never know.

Old February 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM

McGiver strikes again. looks great. How's the assembly comming, do you have a target date for the finish yet?
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
car guy

McGiver strikes again. looks great. How's the assembly comming, do you have a target date for the finish yet?

No target date...just as soon as I can get it done. Time has been scarce latley
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78

No target date...just as soon as I can get it done. Time has been scarce latley
Looking good Richard - one modified piece at a time...
Time consuming, ain't it!

Now that my car is back in one piece and drivable again, I should drive her over to get your motivation flowing enough to have you in the shop working at 10 each night like I was for a while...
Oh wait, I do not think your wife will allow that...

Keep it up!
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:35 PM
car guy

Moving along..
I wanted a little bit of custom touch to the outside of the car and here is what I did. The factory light silver in some of the side mouldings was chipped up and rubbed off so it needed to be redone. I still had some of the dark gray the wheels were done in so that is the color the inserts of the mouldings now. The gray and black with polished stainless looks killer against the red.

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
GM Enthusiast

Richard,

As you can tell, you have got us all excited with everything you're doing and we want to see the finished product!
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Richard,

we want to see the finished product!
you and me both botha' trust me
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:12 PM
car guy

Who whould have ever thought all those years as a kid building models would be a talent I could still use 25 years later. LOL
I got a quote from a pin-stiper the other day and it was a good bit more than I wanted to spend so I stopped at Hobby Lobby on the way home. I experimented with several techniques but what worked best was mask off the area with fine line tape. I then practicly pored the paint in. I redipped the brush dripping wet every1/2 inch or so. Keeping it this thick really let it self level smooth. My best results were to take the tape off as soon as I was done putting the paint on. Little bit of clean up here and there with thinner and they turned out great. This was a really tedious process but worth it IMO
This is one of those ideas that popped in my head and I really like the results of the finished mouldings. This mod is a close second to my calipers which is still my favorite mod. In the first pic you can see the original silver on the clip next to the new gray to compare them.

Old March 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM

This is starting to get trite, but nice work. BTW Ill be in Tulsa area on Tue, maybe end up in your neck of the woods. I'll try to contact you if so. I still want to see that girl in person.
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:26 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by csstrux
This is starting to get trite, but nice work. BTW Ill be in Tulsa area on Tue, maybe end up in your neck of the woods. I'll try to contact you if so. I still want to see that girl in person.
Give me a call if you get in the area. I get home 7pm ish.
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM

My phone went through the wash. I don't have it any more. If you want to give a quick call, or pm the number that would be cool. Otherwise I will try for a wireless network and email.
Chad
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Registered

Looks good, nice buff job. Took forever do all my dinged up Vista Cruiser stainless, there's at least a million running feet of the stuff on them.
I only turned one piece into a pretzel on the buffing wheel.
I still build models once in a while, keeps the fine tuning sharp. Some of my Testor's paint is at least 40 years old, the bottles say 10 cents on the cap.
The new glue just isn't the same because of the changes on the count of people sniffing it.

"Would you like a bag for your model glue kid?"
"No thanks man... I brought my own".
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
car guy

Well since I had the paint out I decided to give the emblems a tune up. See the before and after.

So here are the mouldings on the car. Something must be wrong with my camera because the pics suck. Its as best I can do for now. I love it!!
Just need the back down about 4" and it will be perfect.

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Moment Member

Best thread I've ever seen. This will be an award winning car. VERY nice work.
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooouuuuuuuullllllllll!!!!!!!
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Your making great headway Richard. You workmanship is outstanding as always. I'll be in the Dallas area the 17th thru the 19th of April are you going to be around? I would like to stop by and take a first hand look at your car. Whatca think?
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
car guy

Your making great headway Richard. You workmanship is outstanding as always. I'll be in the Dallas area the 17th thru the 19th of April are you going to be around? I would like to stop by and take a first hand look at your car. Whatca think?
I don't have any plans to be anywhere. Come on by.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:07 AM

I'll be in the Dallas area the 17th thru the 19th of April are you going to be around? I would like to stop by and take a first hand look at your car. Whatca think?
Heck, this looks like a good "member meet" opportunity!
I am right down the street from Richard, so maybe I should stop by also with some brews...
I want to see how the ol' 66 looks in person, too!
Glad to see the body back on the frame - it is all downhill from here, right?

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 16th, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Gearhead looking good my man!!! LOOKING DAMN GOOD!!
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:09 AM
torque machine

wow man wow
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Past Administrator

Richard your emblems look really nice. How did you get the gold on the "Pristows"? I think it is part of American Automotive history to keep the dealership emblems, at least the old cast metal ones. I dislike the newer decal type or even the plastic ones but the cast metal ones seem to go with the era of chrome and muscle and all that. Nice work.
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Ohhhhhhh Lawdy!!!

Absolutely gorgeous!!! what a great job.... Um Richard sorry to say I am not gonna be in the area, but wish i was, 'specially since rob was bringing Brew!!! LOL... and i have been known to travel a fair bit for a cool one LOL

thanks for posting all the work it really is inspiring!!
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:05 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Heck, this looks like a good "member meet" opportunity!
I am right down the street from Richard, so maybe I should stop by also with some brews...
I want to see how the ol' 66 looks in person, too!
Glad to see the body back on the frame - it is all downhill from here, right?
Its not too steep of a hill but its is on the down hill side.
Come on by too. I don't drink so you will have to bring your own.

Originally Posted by gthmcty1
Gearhead looking good my man!!! LOOKING DAMN GOOD!!
Originally Posted by 70_CS
wow man wow
Thanks guys

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Richard your emblems look really nice. How did you get the gold on the "Pristows"? I think it is part of American Automotive history to keep the dealership emblems, at least the old cast metal ones. I dislike the newer decal type or even the plastic ones but the cast metal ones seem to go with the era of chrome and muscle and all that. Nice work.
Not any gold on it. Its just chrome and the rocket flame was red. I like the original dealer tags too. I probably would not drill holes in new paint to install it but the holes are there now so I am using it.

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Absolutely gorgeous!!! what a great job.... Um Richard sorry to say I am not gonna be in the area, but wish i was, 'specially since rob was bringing Brew!!! LOL... and i have been known to travel a fair bit for a cool one LOL

thanks for posting all the work it really is inspiring!!
There are two airports with in 45 min. I will pick you up.

Last edited by gearheads78; March 17th, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am probably closer to Richard than Rob. If at all possible, I would make it. I have been talking about getting over to see his car. After the lastest pictures, I am even more anixious to see it. I will take a couple of brews Rob. I would like to see your car too. Sorry my 72 won't be ready by then since the brakes are out and I am going to do a disk brake conversion and rear end change while I am at it. I will be able to see two of the cars on this board with the longest most detailed post ever. I don't know if you guys thought of that.
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I am probably closer to Richard than Rob. If at all possible, I would make it. I have been talking about getting over to see his car. After the lastest pictures, I am even more anixious to see it. I will take a couple of brews Rob. I would like to see your car too. Sorry my 72 won't be ready by then since the brakes are out and I am going to do a disk brake conversion and rear end change while I am at it. I will be able to see two of the cars on this board with the longest most detailed post ever. I don't know if you guys thought of that.
Hmmmm.... If I play this right I could charge admission
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Hmmmm.... If I play this right I could charge admission

"Next viewing in 10 minutes folks be sure to get your tickets on sale right here don't be the last on your block to view this magnificent piece of machinery coming together!!!!!"
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM
car guy

Well I have made a new goal and this one I intend to make. I can't go any deeper without painting it so I should not be doing anything else that will slow me down. Hot Rod Power Tour is just too far away this year so the plan is to take it to Goodguys Nationals in Columbus OH mid July.
Got the rear of the car trimmed out today. Also got the front brakes on the car.
I came up with a pretty nice solution for the Ebrake. I originally bought the Lokar universal rear kit and the connector cable for the front designed for thier after market pedal. I wanted to use the original pedal so I figured I would make it work some how. Well the hole in the floor is almost as big as the connector cable end piece. I would have needed to weld up the floor and drill a new hole. Well I thought about the rear cable sleeve and tried it. It worked perfect. I called Lockar and they gave me a part# to order just a rear cable sleeve. Installed with a little strip caulk and its like it came this way. Still have to figure how to mount the cables under the car. I should have that done my next day off.

Finally installed the bumper I paid 50.00 extra for a rush jod to be ready by last May. LOL

The calipers will look sweet rolling down the highway.

here you can see the difference in the cable end. The bolt style intended for the rear worked perfect.

installed in the firewall factory hole.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Nice work as usual

Richard

You need to be like P.T Barnum. He made a sign that said "See the Egress' to get the crowds out of his museum.

Last edited by gearheads78; March 30th, 2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:40 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Nice work as usual

Richard

You need to be like P.T Barnum. He made a sign that said "See the Egress' to get the crowds out of his museum.
LOL... good idea
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM

I have to say WOW!!! You've done an amazing job thus far.... I feel more motivated to get to really working on mine. and I appreciate the fact your on a budget, and really sticking to it, and coming up with really good ideas to minimize some of the cost...
and the picture you send really help to understand somethings....
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:33 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Samson
I have to say WOW!!! You've done an amazing job thus far.... I feel more motivated to get to really working on mine. and I appreciate the fact your on a budget, and really sticking to it, and coming up with really good ideas to minimize some of the cost...
and the picture you send really help to understand somethings....
Thanks Samson. Its getting close now. I hope to drive it before May 1st.
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM

Getting an itchy throttle foot arn't you Richard. Starts happening when you get as close as your are to the finish line. Hope it all turns out well as I'm sure it will considering the quality of work you have done to date.
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
car guy

Getting an itchy throttle foot arn't you Richard. Starts happening when you get as close as your are to the finish line. Hope it all turns out well as I'm sure it will considering the quality of work you have done to date.
Yes but I am also already thinking about pulling it back apart for a motor swap LOL. Its never ends unless you sell it and start another.
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM

That 455 swap must be turning your mental gears. Thats what always happens to me, can't stop it must be a motor head curse
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:05 PM
car guy

That 455 swap must be turning your mental gears. Thats what always happens to me, can't stop it must be a motor head curse
yup

Finshed up setting up the custom E-brake system with the factory pedal. Works perfect. Ended up making a braket to drop down the front cable bracket so it pulls dead straight on the rear cable brakets. I took lots of consideration and where to run the rear cables so they will move as needed but not get in the way of anything moving in the suspension. I used stainless clamps picked up at a local street rod shop to attach them to the frame. I'm pleased with the looks and function.
The next task was to center the rear with the upper control arms and finally check tire and wheel clearance at full suspention travel and at ride height. Well my home made measuring tool worked like a charm. Wheel wells are as full as they can be and I didn't cut a thing. I may need some very slight clearancing with a hammer on one of the inner wheel wells but I will have to drive it to see first. Of course I had to snap a shot of the future ride stance.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:50 AM

Looks great. Can't wait tell you get it on the road. I want to here how the 5-speed works out for you as I am installing the same thing in my 48 Olds but am way behind you in my build. At this point I am still collecting parts
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM
car guy

Well todays update should really be called a back date because I made major negative progress.
I made my last brake lines that go from the master to the prop. valve on the frame. Also made a small bracket that bolts to the pedal bracket stud on the firewall to keep the lines from getting in to the steering colum or clutch linkage. All is well so far. Things went down hill from there.

This the first time I have ever used stainless line. I had heard its a little harder to to get to seal but I had no idea how bad it was going to be. I started to bleed the brake lines and saw some fluid dripping on the floor from the prop. valve. I then start looking close at all the connections and more than 1/2 of them are leaking to one extent or another. I manage to to get most of them sealed up by tightening and loosening several times but some the the lines on the prop valve I could not get to without removing the starter which it the big PITA with the lakewood scatter shield. To remove the starter I had to disconnect the clutch linkage too.

I got the last of the lines sealed up and a nice hard pedal so it was time to put it all back together. When I got to the clutch linkage I noticed the fork was kind of flopping around like the spring had slid off the ball. No big deal slid it back right? NOT!! I tried for 5 min feeling for it with the fork to slid it on but it never would catch. I finally resorted to a light and a mirror so I could see up in there and could believe my eyes. There was no spring clip. Brand new fork and the spring had broken off at the rivet Now the motor has to come out again which is not a huge deal in itself but I have to wait for another fork to be shipped to me.

At this point I needed to just get away so I took the wife and daughter to the park for a couple hours. We got back and I wanted to get a little more done before it got dark. I was bolting down one of the front seats and I over did it on one of the studs. POP!!! Its broke now the carpet has to come out on the drivers side so I can weld a new stud. Its just wasn't my day.

Last edited by gearheads78; April 5th, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Registered Luser

Richard, did you say motor may have to come out! Ouch! Knowing you though, you'll be like, "I might as well just put the 455 in now...."
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Richard, did you say motor may have to come out! Ouch! Knowing you though, you'll be like, "I might as well just put the 455 in now...."
If only I had one built right now.

Quick Reply: Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)