Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM

WOW! that makes 5 61 2 dr sedans that i know of. Thanks for the pictures. Did you have to do alot of bodywork or was it pretty straight? Nice color. Do you have any spare parts left over?
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Believe me the body is a 10 footer. Looks good but the work done is not real good. I DIDN'T DO IT! I got the car in a trade deal and I intended to just use it as a summer driver. It does look cool though. When I got it had no title, I spent 3 months getting that mess cleanned up, the brakes didn't work, none of the lights worked and the windows were jammed up with blocks of wood. I still have a bit to do, but I like the car so little by little I will get it on the road. I do have quite a few extra parts. What do you need?
Old February 18th, 2009, 03:38 PM

I like like it without the rings

Old February 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Looks great either way.
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:08 AM

Been busy as usual, one of my rotton JY tires came apart but didn't go flat. So i went out and bought some nice used 225 70-14's Michelins on the rear. I still need one more for the front but I also need a rim or two but their in Red Bluff 3 hours away. I want to drive the car back up there in April. I did sell my M/T 455 valve covers on e bay along with some NOS Shivey parts and it was enough to buy a rebuilt steering box for the Olds. Man that thing drives like a new car! It was 147.00 well spent. I also just won a really nice day/night rear view mirror last night also that I really need. Drove the car the last two days to work and its running a driving great, still need to align the front end but ran out of money. May try to get it a little better myself with some string and a strait edge.

Old February 27th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Past Administrator

Good pictures, that tire is scary! I hope you find your fourth tire soon.
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Old age gets us all even our tires. nice work on the steering box, Something I still need to do on my 57 Olds
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Where did you get the rebuilt steering unit?
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM

I got the steering box at O'Rielly's / Kragen , Rock Auto also has them. It fits from 60 -75 full size GM cars. Part # is 276529 A-1 Cardone reman. I also borrowed these really nice pullers to pull the pitman arm. And I also flushed the power steering pump into a drain pan with clean transmission fluid. I started the car and let it pump out the dirty stuff, and also let it drain out the return line. I bled out everything with the engine off and the wheels off the ground by turning the wheels back and forth.
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice pictures, I think I like the rims without the trim rings as well. Looks like a real vintage cruiser that has not changed since the 60's. I would definitely say it was a good thing you replaced that rag joint as well. Looks like a lot of the steering wheel play was coming from that.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM

Thumbs up inspiring

i have a 1965 delta 88 4door that i got from a junk yard that pretty much took the same path as your 61 but i cant drive a distance because i cannot find a fuel tank for it. the original was terribly rusted because the car was flooded and siting in high grass. enough about me the story is truly inspiring and i hope i can follow in your footsteps.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM

i'll b sending pictures as soon as i figure out how. not that computer literate
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM

How much play do you have now in the steering wheel? I am trying to figure out what normal is for these cars.
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM

With the engine running you should be able to stand out side the car and wiggle the steering wheel and see the tires move without any slop in the wheel. If your car is hard to keep in a straight line going down the road, it's probably worn out. Check the rubber part first for play, have someone wiggle the wheel while you watch. Sometimes the steering box can be adjusted. When I tried to adjust mine, it got harder to steer. Also jack up the car on stands and have someone wiggle the wheel while you check the steering parts for play, especially the center link and idler arm. Good Luck.
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Hey Nas. This is my 65 check it out. Still no tank
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by bigchris20022
Hey Nas. This is my 65 check it out. Still no tank
Did you get in touch with Joel?
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Went to repair the pass. side door glass. Thought I'd stop by the local auto glass place to see if they had some window channel, they did. it was over 100.00 for the 6 pieces I need just to do the doors, OUCH! Can't recycle used crap on this job. Forget about the vent window seals, they were 150.00 a pr. online. Mine are doable for now. It was off track, actually the track was gone, MIA. So I went to my buddy Charlies and he had a 61 Chevy 4 dr door, hauled away free of charge! I was able to adapt the 4 dr track to the 2 dr channel. I had to sandblast my glass channel but there was enough metal left to salvage it. I hope to find another one when I go up to Red Bluff. I'm waiting for some parts to finish it up. They had to order 2 of the pieces.

4dr track and channel below the 2dr channel
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM

I was able to find an almost dead on match for the trim paint around the door frame

I attached the track to the channel by drilling and tapping in case I ever want to change out the part.

Channel installed in repainted frame
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Good find. Always helps when you can do restores with a low buck idea.
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM

NAS, I just went through the same thing with my 61, except I bought power window kits and just installed them in the doors. Found both of the doors had a block of wood holding the glass up. But I now have power windows and I am in the complete project under $300 after I bought the new channel fuzzy's. Also both of my vent windows were not operating but I was able to rescue the backing plates from the bottom of the door and repair them. Those are the closest thing to aircon this car has!
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Got it finished up this morning after work. One more project to check off the list. Works like new. I put AC in my RR and it was worth every penny on my 7800 mile roadtrip. This engine is using some oil so I'm going to baby it and try to get through the summer season with it.

Going to the auto parts today and pick up a speedo cable for 15.00, it fits from 59 to around 85.
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Gotta love those wing windows. One of the biggest mistakes automakers did was to eliminate them. with the windows down crack the wing and no wind in the car. In the winter time easy fresh air.. Nice work. Spring is almost here and you can start enjoying driving again
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM

Well I got my speedometer cable from the parts store, FYI, It 's ATP part #Y-803 15.00.Crossed the number off www.rockauto.com. It was a bit of a challenge installing it through 3 different holes in the floorboard. I used the old cable to pull the bailing wire through after cutting off the end. After one unsuccessful attempt to pull the new cable through, I had to duct tape it up into a point to get it through the sideways hole. After getting through, I removed the bending brace from the original cable and reinstalled on the new cable. Getting it connected was a challenge. I unbolted my seat and pushed it to the back seat for clearance. While I was under the dash I though it would be a good idea to change all the bulbs since half of them were out. That proved to be a waste of almost 20.00 worth of bulbs since the replacements didn't fix the problem, maybe I have a bad board. I did find some mystery wires while I was under there and maybe the power to the spotlights.

Whilei have my seat unbolted I'm going to drill out the mount holes to move the seat back 1" by using the factory pilot holes.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM

Can I get a contact number? I need some parts for my 64 F85. Thinking about buying a complete car if I have too.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:04 PM

Great looking car! Definitely some inspiration
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM

I PM'ed the contact info. Thanks , the cable was twisted off, however, it didn't fix the problem. I disconnected it and it works but I guess the speedometer is broke. I won't be removing the dash anytime soon. I did get my seat fixed though, It was broke and I had to weld it up. And moving it back 1" made a big difference too.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM

Thanks NAS, I found my F85 at a local wrecking yard also. Well kind of, I noticed it on there hauler and followed it to the yard. Bought it for 1000.00 delivered to my house.
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM

NAS, I have a extra speedo for the 61. I have an entire dash from a 61 98, interested? Big job I know. The instrument lights on my 61 don't all work but I have enough that I don't intend to pull it apart anytime soon. I actually think I am gong to sell the car at the Portland Swap next weekend. FYI largest auto swap on the west coast 4-2 thru 4-5 at the Portland expo center and the Portland International Raceway. If any of you are up this way, look for the olds rocket flag up at the Expo center.
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Well I finally got the front end aligned and it drives like new! NO play whatsoever. I put the matched Michelins up front. It took the guy 2 hours and it cost me 70.00, usually 85.00. I also drained the trans fluid and put a gallon of clean stuff back in. I didn't drop the pan. I will need to find a filter and probably make a gasket after I flush the whole system. The fluid was VERY dirty but no chunks of anything.I've been driving it alot. My brake lights only work when they feel like it. I put in new switch because to old one was green around the copper prongs. I plan on driving it up to RedBluff in May to the place I drug it out of for a photo op and a parts recon mission. I have 200 mile AAA so I'm not worrying about getting stranded. I will get more pictures of all the cars there for everybody to enjoy.
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM

I've been looking for a certain style of gauge for the Olds and I found them last weekend at a Mopar swapmeet in LA. New SW Oil and Temp for 30.00. Say assembled in Mexico with quality parts. Anyway I got them in and the old tired 394 still has 35 psi at warm idle. I also finally won some seat covers on ebay. I've been trolling for a couple of months for the right ones. I was having trouble getting applications and decent measurements. I really wanted some blue or silver ones but settled on these since the price was right( 61.84) delivered and I can easily change the color to a light blue/black with SEM. So that will be my next big project. I still need to find some foam and hog ring pliers.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:09 PM

Nice ride. I love to see the steady progress you have put in.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:15 AM

Thanks, I got the seat covers last night and heres a sneak peek trial fit, these are really nice and sturdy, I'm not going to mess with the color, they look too good. Here they are just slipped on with no foam.

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:41 AM
zed

Wow, that car is looking great. Love the look of it.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Best low buck build on the site. Fun to watch what you can do on a tight budget with a little planning and thought. Good lesson for the guys just starting out
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:29 PM

I was able to get some foam and hog rings today and get the rear bottom cushion done. 20.00 for the supplies and 2 hrs. to do it. It was pretty easy after I got the foam lined up. I used small clamps that i bought when i did the headliner in my Roadrunner. I'm pretty happy with my very first upolstery job.

Old May 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Registered Luser

I definitely like the approach to your project...cool covers! Were they originally for your car model or from another car?
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
I definitely like the approach to your project...cool covers! Were they originally for your car model or from another car?
They were listed on ebay as unknown but the seller had the measurements listed and they were a perfect match for my seats. I had asked him previously to list some 2 door seat covers. I could have gotten several other sets that were closer in color to a blue/silver theme but the application wasn't ever clear enough. I was really wishing for blue ones but no luck.If I ever run into a closer match i can always try to bid them since my total investment in these is going to be about 85.00 These have to be the nicest I found and the cloth is easy to work with. This is a very economical ressurection. I've already done the high dollar build on my 69 Roadrunner but this is much more fun to do. I want a car I can truly enjoy and leave parked anywhere without worrying about it.

Last edited by NAS Backyard; May 9th, 2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM

very nice professional looking result.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Got the back completed. My hats off to upolstery guys, I wouldn't want to try this for a living.

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:27 AM

What the Hudson Bay Look is gone
Nice work but I really did like the blanket look.

Quick Reply: Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard