Big, green, beautiful, and from 1960

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:48 AM

You can also check www.kanter.com for engine stuff. Depending partly on whether the engine always had good antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors, head gaskets, etc. may be good still.
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Wanted: Pin-up girls

Originally Posted by MDchanic
There should be no problem buying a Fel-Pro gasket set for it. It may take a few days for the store to get it in, but they should be available.

- Eric
I've just had a few issues with Fel-Pro, was hoping there would be something better out there.

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
I can still get stuff for my '57 at Carquest. Not everything though...and their catalogue only goes back to '58, so I order '58 stuff...same thing.
Went to the carquest I used to work at for a while and couldn't find much for it. Then again they are outdated as hell so I might have to find a carquest that has been updated since 1972.

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
Buy nothing. Simply get it running and decide thereafter if you need to buy anything, once any problems are found. Nobody goes around and replaces gaskets on a preventative basis
It runs now, drove it a couple hundred miles on its maiden voyage. And I'm planning on taking it on a huge road trip at the end of this year and ending up in texas so I have to update everything I can drivetrain wise. Thats what Im working for now.

It sat for nearly 20 years, I'm afraid gaskets will be just the start of my problems honestly.

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
You can also check www.kanter.com for engine stuff. Depending partly on whether the engine always had good antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors, head gaskets, etc. may be good still.
They have a couple engine kits for a little over a grand but that goes into getting new pistons and everything. Looks like I'd have to get a catalog in order to really find anything but the big kits, but its a step in the right direction. Thanks dude
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:28 PM

Love seeing these cars kept on the road, what a great find!
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Skitch72
Love seeing these cars kept on the road, what a great find!
Thank ya, I hope to keep it on the road for a long time.

I went to a couple different performance places here in Denver from suggestions from the morning talk show guy on the local rock station around here who loves stuff like this and found out Mr. Gasket still makes gaskets for the 394. And now I'm apparently obligated to make the trek back here when I get the 88 going good.

Saw a 59 olds fiesta wagon followed by a late 50s edsel wagon the other day driving around like it was nothing, then saw what I think was a Zepher with a nice two-tone yellow and dark brown paintjob. There's classy cars everywhere around here!
Old July 13th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Long time no speak. But I'm back home and now able to work on this thing as much as I like. And I've been busy. Replaced the brake shoes, repacked the bearings, changed the valve cover gaskets and cleaned up the covers.

I bought gaskets for the intake, oil pan, and the tranny pan so those are next. I also bought a points elem. kit that will be installed soon.

All the parts I take off are getting a much needed scrub down and run over with a non-abrasive wheel. It gave the covers a nice almost brushed aluminium look imo.

Before:
jlFKDA7.jpg
Yes the garage is messy, finding time to clean it out is impossible. Please overlook it haha

After:
vNaOdUl.jpg
Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:55 AM

So...progress in the form of shinyness

Love how these turned out:
Y9VWNQQ.jpg

And these:
d6T4EJA.jpg

A faded black eyesore no more
wqdZoxe.jpg

Before and after shots of the generator (not completely done):
Blg9TKI.jpg

4uZyEeV.jpg

YrmpWEj.jpg

dotKemH.jpg

8Eqjbx8.jpg

i4jb6Xv.jpg

Didn't forget this lil guy:
tV6zNUk.jpg

Ive coated the parts I took down to bare metal with clear engine enamel, I like how they look as they sit and think they will look good in the bay. The AC compressor is up next (the thing weighs a ton!) and it has at least an inch of crud and grime almost all over it.

Plans for later include:
-sandblasting the intake manifold
-cleaning up the oil pan and the trans pan
-getting a ton of grime out from under the bay somehow
-taking off the wiper motor assy. and try to find out why it wont turn off when plugged in
(if anyone has any from of wiring diagrams or knowledge of the wiper system please post or PM me, I have zero idea how to even get it off the firewall)
-cont. to try figuring out why I have no vacuum or power brakes

...and many other things when I can get to them.

I am still looking for some torque-thrust lookalike wheels in the 5x5 pattern if anyone has them or knows where I can find them please let me know. They can even be old.

Last edited by John Snow; July 27th, 2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:45 PM

Got everything together just in time for a small downtown car show. Figured I would give her a good polish as well.

Runs like a dream:
HlrzGRB.jpg

Before:
1MLH75R.jpg

After:
hapLgGK.jpg

Bit of chrome love:
ET49mR8.jpg
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:51 PM

Very Nice, Oh by the way your "alternator"is really a generator, there is a difference.
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Is that the same car just polished? Fantastic job. I think you polished the drivers side windshield wiper right off its spline! JK, what happened to it BTW?

I know how big these cars are and how much work you must have gone through to achieve those results. Well done sir!
Old July 27th, 2014, 02:55 PM

Changed it Manic, thanks.

Originally Posted by Allan R
Is that the same car just polished? Fantastic job. I think you polished the drivers side windshield wiper right off its spline! JK, what happened to it BTW?

I know how big these cars are and how much work you must have gone through to achieve those results. Well done sir!
Thanks, spent 2 hours waxing it by hand and I think it paid off. And I'm not sure it's always been like that but I know its a couple cogs off. The wipers are on the to-fix list anyway so I'll take off the driver side and see if I can fix it back. Thought it should have been just like the pass side but was never sure.

And I appreciate it. Can't wait to be able to do more to the ol gal.
Old September 6th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Went to a cruise in, and found an awesome dude with a Pontiac Catalina. Granted its not olds but it is the closest I've seen so far to anyone having a car like mine. Pics turned out amazing imo

Had to wait till we were about the last few people there to get the best shots. But it was totally worth it.

Oq7nStM.jpg

GffY6xl.jpg

His fav shot:
aZTW0DV.jpg

Mine:
KkJD9FX.jpg

uh8v23o.jpg

And a nice lil night shot of the olds
LkxDWUX.jpg

I have like 50 more pics of the show, if anyones interested I could make a thread.

Last edited by John Snow; September 6th, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old September 7th, 2014, 03:32 AM

nice olds

I have one the same but white no air all original great looking cars.
just wondering how you got on with your wipers mine has only just done the same thing, looking through the manual I think it could be the relay in the wiper unit but not sure. have you had any luck.
Old September 8th, 2014, 07:01 AM

Nope, haven't been able to pinpoint the issue and I don't even have a manual so I'm just kinda winging it.
So they still wont turn off when the ignition is on and they're plugged up to the motor assy. Also the driver side wiper is off its track but I don't see an easy way to get it off.

Where could I find a manual for this thing anyway?
Old September 8th, 2014, 08:19 AM

You should be able to find a manual on ebay without too much hassle.

As for wiper arm removal, they make a special tool for that. I am sure they are easily found on line. Google "Windshield Wiper Removal Tool" As a general rule they pry off/push on.
Old September 8th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There are about a dozen factory service manuals posted on eBay right now.

The cheapest is this one for $22 shipped.

- Eric
Old September 9th, 2014, 04:31 AM

ebay is your friend , I got mine from auto literature.com only for cheaper postage to my side of world.
as for wipers found out today it may also be a fused link in plug in board bit on wiper assy, looks like its coming apart looks like I'm shopping for a wiper remover, but i'll wait till I get manual back witch is in car, witch is on it's 54th birthday vacation [brake rebuild].
cheers
wit

Last edited by wit98; September 9th, 2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 9th, 2014, 05:41 AM
Oldsdruid

That car has Wide-Arc wipers and service procedures are a little different for those. All it really amounts to is a cam on the wiper post but it's enough that parts are different from standard wipers.

Man- that green really polished out. Like the Cat too.
Old September 9th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
You should be able to find a manual on ebay without too much hassle.

As for wiper arm removal, they make a special tool for that. I am sure they are easily found on line. Google "Windshield Wiper Removal Tool" As a general rule they pry off/push on.
Thats exactly what I need then, thanks!

Originally Posted by MDchanic
There are about a dozen factory service manuals posted on eBay right now.

The cheapest is this one for $22 shipped.

- Eric
Gonna have that by next week then, thanks a ton dude. Had no idea they'd be this cheap.

Originally Posted by wit98
ebay is your friend , I got mine from auto literature.com only for cheaper postage to my side of world.
as for wipers found out today it may also be a fused link in plug in board bit on wiper assy, looks like its coming apart looks like I'm shopping for a wiper remover, but i'll wait till I get manual back witch is in car, witch is on it's 54th birthday vacation [brake rebuild].
cheers
wit
I hope the issue isn't inside that mess of a wiper motor assy. Cause I have no idea how to get it out let alone work on it. Hopefully the manual has some sort of diagram for it.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That car has Wide-Arc wipers and service procedures are a little different for those. All it really amounts to is a cam on the wiper post but it's enough that parts are different from standard wipers.

Man- that green really polished out. Like the Cat too.
Yeah, I'm used to going all through normal wiper set ups but Ive never even attempted this style before. I'm very glad that they still operate and its just a power issue, else I'd be really up a creek haha
Thanks, I'm really surprised that only one go over with some turtle wax made it shine that deep. They sure knew how to make them shine for good back in the day. I love it.
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Oldsdruid

You will need clutch head (also called butterfly head) screwdrivers to loosen the wiper motor screws and I think you have to lift up the cowl inlet screen to get to those. The motor drops out from below the firewall ledge. This is going on memory from a 1960 Chevy I had 30+ years ago.
Old September 14th, 2014, 07:53 AM

Thanks rocketraider, never even heard of that kind of screw/screwdriver till now. I might be able to look into it finally later on this week. Still haven't even tested the wires with a multimeter yet either.

Being busy on the days that it doesnt rain sucks
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:31 PM

So I found out why I have no power brakes.

Do5rS9R.jpg

And I've tried looking for a kit for it, all I can find is places to send it off to get it rebuilt. All I need is just that outside seal and I can't wait a month on it. The rebuild places have to get these seals somewhere, any ideas?
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:02 AM

I used these guys to rebuild my booster. Turn around was only 2 weeks.

BM&P

You might contact them to see if they will sell you the seal you need? Another avenue to pursue would be to google "brake booster rebuild kit".
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:10 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by John Snow
Couldnt find much there, wouldn't it be under the tech section?

What is this little bastard called? It goes at the end of the heater hose that connects into the back of the bay.

And where can I find these vacuum switches?

Those are actually vacuum actuators and they open and close the doors inside the heater box. They are available here;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1960-19...921827&vxp=mtr
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:28 AM

diaphram

Originally Posted by John Snow
So I found out why I have no power brakes.

And I've tried looking for a kit for it, all I can find is places to send it off to get it rebuilt. All I need is just that outside seal and I can't wait a month on it. The rebuild places have to get these seals somewhere, any ideas?
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:31 AM

try ringing fusicks or usapartssupply
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:34 AM

water valve for heater system

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Those are actually vacuum actuators and they open and close the doors inside the heater box. They are available here;
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:25 PM

BM&P

You might contact them to see if they will sell you the seal you need? Another avenue to pursue would be to google "brake booster rebuild kit".
Tried google, called A1 Cardone and they won't tell me the name of their supplier so BM&P might be the same. But I'll try them, thank ya!

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Dayum, 50 bucks for those boogers? Maybe I can find a part number for them and see if I can get them through O Reilly's where i work now. Gotta love that discount.
I bet finding the 1st one will be impossible. Good thing it still works.
Thank you btw

Originally Posted by wit98
try ringing fusicks or usapartssupply
Tried them both, Fusicks only has a send in and rebuild option and usapartssupply didnt have much options either.

Since I really need the car going again I used a piece of inner-tube from a bike tire and some rubber glue and fashioned a quick fix. It might hold till I can get a proper seal in it.

There's a huge car show next weekend so it can't be down for that. Will post pics here Monday if I can.
Old October 6th, 2014, 07:21 PM

Try looking at the 59-60 Caddy suppliers. They are the same and most Caddys had AC.
My bits came from USA Parts and good ol evil bay.
Scott
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:23 AM

BM&P

Also try "Booster Dewey":
http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:28 AM

Thanks Scott, I'll look up USA parts as soon as I can.

And Don, saved for when the seal goes again. Its actually holding up really well so far. Hopefully it wont break down over the winter. Thank ya

I've been working so much I completely forgot about linking y'all the album to the car show.

http://imgur.com/a/4NcvV

Anyway, got the brakes working well now finally. Haven't had time to work on it at all nor have I had the spare cash to get those switches and stuff. I ran out of gas a couple days ago (still don't have a working gas gauge, its on my list) and got crud all the way through the filter bowl and carb so I have a new filter and I'm paying a buddy to clean up the carb and switch out all the gaskets and things. Its a shame I can't get the float through work, I'm sure I can find it somewhere once I actually have the time to look.

But I think due to the recent event as well as a now dead battery, its up for the winter. I bought a winter beater for 800 bucks, an 89 Jeep Cherokee dubbed "The Murder Wagon". Its got a good radio, heater, wipers, and drive damn good for 192k miles.

cZqQqZD.jpg

If I get any warm days off I'll work on the 88 and keep this updated. But Kentucky weather sucks so not much more will be going on me thinks. I do hate seeing her sit.
Old November 9th, 2014, 01:41 PM

Great looking car! I enjoyed reading of your progress. Anything new?