Another 72 442 Vert Project - It Just Keeps Snowballing

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Olds Nut

please dont take this the wrong way, but you seem to be doing an awesome 1000 point resto and the car is way nice... but with all the trouble you are going thru why the wrong rims? look way better with the bolt on center caps.
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by m455sx
please dont take this the wrong way, but you seem to be doing an awesome 1000 point resto and the car is way nice... but with all the trouble you are going thru why the wrong rims? look way better with the bolt on center caps.

Thanks - I've been wondering the same thing myself - will probably be doing something about it pretty soon!
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM

Woo-Hoo!!!!!

Car coming home from paint shop tomorrow!!! Gotta get back in resto mode.
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Woo-Hoo!!!!!

Car coming home from paint shop tomorrow!!! Gotta get back in resto mode.
Did you get your MAW helmet ready?
Old October 28th, 2012, 03:54 PM

Here's a couple of quick pics of work done so far since getting the car back almost two weeks ago. Quality of the photos suck, but the thing's looking pretty well. Already have gas tank, rear end suspension, undercar plumbing done - have installed 3 of 4 windows, getting close to completing trunk area and hanging rear bumper. Hood coming off in next few days to start the engine install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Oct 28 Bumper - Complete.jpg (97.3 KB, 158 views)
Oct 28 Car Status Exterior.jpg (89.1 KB, 161 views)
Old October 28th, 2012, 04:42 PM
car guy

Sweet lets see some good together pics as soon as you can.
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Administrator

It's coming along nicely.
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Big Tip - spend the money for the new side glass - it is so worth it in terms of the overall appearance. No matter what I did, t just doesn't look as good as with the new glass.
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thank you. That reaffirms my decision. I bought all new tinted side glass from PS Auto glass a few years back. I found a really excellent tinted rear glass with defog on glass at the boneyard and scooped it too. No one I know makes rear glass with that option.

Love the progress. Some additional and bigger pics would be great!
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Thank you. That reaffirms my decision. I bought all new tinted side glass from PS Auto glass a few years back. I found a really excellent tinted rear glass with defog on glass at the boneyard and scooped it too. No one I know makes rear glass with that option.

Love the progress. Some additional and bigger pics would be great!
Allan how do you post bigger pics? The attachment method I use doesn't allow for thm to be any bigger.
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I save the pic to "My pictures". Then I use my picture editor (in this case it's MS Picture Manager) to resize it to a larger format - 1024X768. The quality of the image has to be good from the start.

So I copied your bumper pic and resized on my puter using ^^ process. It comes out looking like this:

You'll also notice if you clik on the attached thumbnail it also opens up in larger format. The picture quality is lower in this case because your original pic was lower quality.

VERY NICE JOB on the bumper btw!
Attached Images
costpenn bumper.jpg (60.7 KB, 518 views)
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks AGAIN Allan - here's some more various pics of the rebuild process underway:
Attached Images
442 Trunk Area.jpg (54.0 KB, 174 views)
442 Header And Glass Detail.jpg (57.8 KB, 172 views)
442 Trunk Detail.jpg (55.2 KB, 172 views)
442 Undercar View.jpg (40.1 KB, 178 views)
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Looking very nice! On the spare tire hook, you can either cut that one down for the special nut adapter, or you can buy the shorter hook that ILT sells just for the SS application. Looks like you'll have that baby tucked away under the tree before Christmas at the rate you're going. Keep up the good work.
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Looks like you are having the time of your life doing this - well done!
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Looking very nice! On the spare tire hook, you can either cut that one down for the special nut adapter, or you can buy the shorter hook that ILT sells just for the SS application. Looks like you'll have that baby tucked away under the tree before Christmas at the rate you're going. Keep up the good work.
Allan, thanks for the tip on the spare tire j rod. I bought it from Fusick and they don't show a difference. Will order fom ILT, but I've been trying to buy more fom Fusick wherever possible.

Stay tuned on the FC hood. Looks pretty, but I think I'm going to have major fitment issues at the cowl. It is rubbing before even putting the cowl weatherstrip on.

Last edited by costpenn; November 4th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:55 PM

Joe, I am really impressed. I knew you did wonderful work when I saw your Hurst but wow, you really do wonderful work! Sorry to hear about the hood, are you sure it's rubbing? My VFN doesn't rub but it doesn't have enough weight to fully seat the hinges so I have to push it down at the back after closing it.

Also, what did you paint your trunk with? I need to do mine and I was hoping there was a rattle can out there that looks good. Yours looks great!
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:00 PM

Joe- Project is real nice! I like those fenderwells and keep us posted. Will you make it Houston for the Autorama?
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Joe, I am really impressed. I knew you did wonderful work when I saw your Hurst but wow, you really do wonderful work! Sorry to hear about the hood, are you sure it's rubbing? My VFN doesn't rub but it doesn't have enough weight to fully seat the hinges so I have to push it down at the back after closing it.

Also, what did you paint your trunk with? I need to do mine and I was hoping there was a rattle can out there that looks good. Yours looks great!
Thanks for the kind words. It ain't finished yet though, and a few items have almost made me do the match and a gallon of gas thing to the lot a couple of times now.

The painter guy shot the spatter itself. I was going to do it, but we got our signs crossed on it. I normally use the Eastwood's product. It seems to me to be a little more tough/durable than others.
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Big day today - engine & transmission going in!!

Here's some more pics of work completed since getting the car back from the painter. Note - I've used the rubberized undercoater stuff in the rear wheel wells since the the wheel pic was taken - makes a big difference.
Attached Images
IMGA0327.jpg (50.2 KB, 152 views)
IMGA0333.jpg (79.3 KB, 163 views)
IMGA0328.jpg (71.1 KB, 166 views)
IMGA0336.jpg (51.5 KB, 158 views)
IMGA0331.jpg (74.6 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by costpenn; November 19th, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:25 AM
NOVICE car nut

This is a very nice restoration ! Those rims look fabulous also !
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Done - now to button things up...
Attached Images
IMGA0348.jpg (73.9 KB, 145 views)
IMGA0350.jpg (76.7 KB, 132 views)
IMGA0354.jpg (34.8 KB, 133 views)
IMGA0353.jpg (50.8 KB, 127 views)
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nooo, don't do the gas and match thing. I'll take it if you want to get rid of it. Beautiful looking work; be proud of it. When it's all done you can start breathing again.
Old December 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Joe, any updates? Sometimes walking away from a problem build for a while to regroup and clear the air is the best thing. Something to make you smile and realize you're not alone: When I installed all the new rear brake components on my rear axle rebuild I ended up with a c clip and washer (actually 2 of each) that I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I had left over. I KNEW I'd forgotten something, but what??? So when I went to attach the new e brake cables to the center connector, guess what fell out of the secondary shoe? Yup the e brake lever. Duhhhh, the washer between the lever and shoe, and c -clip on the front to hold it from letting go. So that's on my agenda to 'fix' when it warms up here. Like you noted in your observations of the build process, there's always something that's going to need doing over; left over parts aren't always a good thing.
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM

Allan, just because you asked, here's a couple of pics taken tonight. Ahhh, that shifter poking out of the carpet with no console - it's one of the moments I was really looking forward to, and it was just as great as I thought it would be!!!
Attached Images
IMGA0394.jpg (47.8 KB, 137 views)
IMGA0389.jpg (67.9 KB, 141 views)
IMGA0395.jpg (65.9 KB, 131 views)
IMGA0396.jpg (62.7 KB, 119 views)
IMGA0397.jpg (68.5 KB, 111 views)
Old December 8th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Joe, that interior looks fantastic (except for the gas/brake and clutch pedals - hope they're on the replacement list)

Now I feel really bad to tell you this, but Fusick sent you upper hose with the wrong stamping on it. I know because I sent them the correct stamping (from a GM OEM upper rad hose) which they duplicated for me.

You will recognize the bottom hose (which they originally sent me as being correct), it's the same one you have on your car. When I sent them a picture of the correct stampings, they sent me the new upper hose (top one in the pic) no charge with an apology. Their stamping is still not right, but it's a lot closer to original now.
Old December 8th, 2012, 09:33 PM

where's the "like" button for the pics?
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:25 PM

That's looking really nice!
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by nj_cutlass72
where's the "like" button for the pics?
Ah Jersey and Oldsmobiles - I'm the Clarence Clemons in a Springsteen tribute band.
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:34 PM

Joe, that interior looks fantastic (except for the gas/brake and clutch pedals - hope they're on the replacement list)

Now I feel really bad to tell you this, but Fusick sent you upper hose with the wrong stamping on it. I know because I sent them the correct stamping (from a GM OEM upper rad hose) which they duplicated for me.

You will recognize the bottom hose (which they originally sent me as being correct), it's the same one you have on your car. When I sent them a picture of the correct stampings, they sent me the new upper hose (top one in the pic) no charge with an apology. Their stamping is still not right, but it's a lot closer to original now.
Allan, I'll call Fusick on Monday about the hose. Interestingly, I've got the wrong lower hose. The Harrison 4 row M/T radiator I have has the 1.75 diameter lower outlet, but the water pump has the 71/72 inlet diameter of 1.75 as well. The correct 72 hose won't work (1.50 radiator end diameter), so I used a repro 70 hose and put a Gates 26392 hose bushing on the water pump end since the 70 hose is a 2.00 on the pump end. I also had to use a double wire 68-70 clamp - I don think the Wittek " tower" style clamp will fit a 2.00 hose diameter - at least the Fusick sourced ones won't.

The gas pedal is a new repro I bought from Fusick, and the pedal covers are also new, but of questionable origin. Maybe the pic is bad - let me know what you suggest. (I havent treated them with anything - they do look a little dull)
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Hi Joe,

Your car is coming together very nicely and all of your work looks great. Looking forward to seeing the car completed.

Brian
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:33 AM

Awsome car! I would love to do that to my tired 72.
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:58 AM
1971 442 convert

Wow really really nice love that 4 gear.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan, I'll call Fusick on Monday about the hose.
When you call them, you should also be prepared to advise them the picture they show in their catalogue shows the markings like the upper one in the pic I posted, not the one you got. You probably bought the hoses within the last couple years? If you need the pic, you can either copy it out of the thread or I can send it to you.

Here's the pic I sent Dave Jackson back in August. It's an OEM upper rad hose still on my car. Note the stampings are quite a bit more precise and sized differently than repops

I also save the Fusick catalogues as .pdf files onto my hard drive so I can do quick references. Even the one from back in 2009 shows the hose with the more correct markings @28.50. Very little change in pricing, but someone really went 'creative' on the stamping to get that different pattern. If you bought the lower hose from them (which I did too, but my rad is 3 core) I'd ask them what they can do for you since their catalogue categorically says it fits "ALL" 71/72's. Didn't have any issues with any of their other hoses, and I did buy the tower clamps like you did too, so I'm hoping my lower rad hose isn't a bust either. Suggest you ask one of the guys down there if they want to buy a lower hose for their ride. BTW I see Fusicks now have their new 47C catalogue out.

The gas pedal is a new repro I bought from Fusick, and the pedal covers are also new, but of questionable origin. Maybe the pic is bad - let me know what you suggest. (I havent treated them with anything - they do look a little dull)
Could be just the pics Joe, I know that black parts sometimes show differently depending on what type of light conditions are present. If they look ok to you in normal lighting I wouldn't change them. Especially since you'll probably get the same product from a different vendor? What makes you say they are 'questionable'?

I was really surprised that Steele Rubber Products doesn't have them listed. Supercars Unlimited does show the package http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/Pedal-Pads-i336.aspx . Looks a lot like what you have now though.
Attached Images
IMG_2704.jpg (28.3 KB, 388 views)
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
L69

wow beautiful job.
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Update for today:

Pics of front bumper before install - there's lots of struts on this. The struts that attach to the top center of the bumper use some weird short bumper bolts and also some very thin nuts. I lost one - it's the only place on the car they're used. I put a regular nut on for now hopefully it will not cause an interference issue with the stone sheild when installed.

Front of car shots with grille work installed. Shows those radiator flaps that fit 71-72 455 M/T and W30 only. I had to shim the passenger side radiator to frame bushing up about 1/4 inch to get the front end within spec of height from left to right.
Attached Images
IMGA0407.jpg (68.1 KB, 112 views)
IMGA0409.jpg (57.5 KB, 109 views)
IMGA0405.jpg (54.0 KB, 108 views)
IMGA0400.jpg (59.5 KB, 104 views)
IMGA0401.jpg (52.7 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by costpenn; December 10th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:23 AM
NOVICE car nut

Wow ! Everything looks real nice ! I would be afraid to get it dirty when it's done !
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice work Joe, I'm really interested to see how pre fitting those braces prior to install works on alignment at the stone shield and headlight fillers. Always interested in other peoples approach to this kind of problem solving.

FWIW? Don't worry about the flaps, that's just extra air channelling that should make your 455 run even nicer. Especially down there in the heat belt. I hope you have someone down there helping you with the install and tweaking. From what others have said about alignment of the front bumper it can wear out even the patience of Jobe.

You put in new body mount bushings and rad support bushings and the front end was still that much out of spec? Good info to note since I'm looking at replacing my rad support bushings next year when I pull that puppy for restoration. It's one of the few I know of with almost no corrosion under the battery tray. Lucky me I guess.

How did your conversation with Fusicks go?
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Hi Joe,

Your car is coming together very nicely and all of your work looks great. Looking forward to seeing the car completed.

Brian
Wow. Coming from you Brian I consider that a high compliment. Since viewing your thread on the 69, I've been inspired to not take any shortcuts in the reassembly process.
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:19 PM

Nice work Joe, I'm really interested to see how pre fitting those braces prior to install works on alignment at the stone shield and headlight fillers. Always interested in other peoples approach to this kind of problem solving.

FWIW? Don't worry about the flaps, that's just extra air channelling that should make your 455 run even nicer. Especially down there in the heat belt. I hope you have someone down there helping you with the install and tweaking. From what others have said about alignment of the front bumper it can wear out even the patience of Jobe.

You put in new body mount bushings and rad support bushings and the front end was still that much out of spec? Good info to note since I'm looking at replacing my rad support bushings next year when I pull that puppy for restoration. It's one of the few I know of with almost no corrosion under the battery tray. Lucky me I guess.

How did your conversation with Fusicks go?
Allan, the preassembly of the front bumper brace work was not a stroke of genius - I just want to avoid assembling all that stuff under the car if possible. I imagine that's how the bumpers were mounted at the factory. I'm going to have at least two other guys when I go mount it in addition to using lots of rags and masking tape to avoid scratching the stone shield, fenders, and headlamp surrounds.

The assembly manual calls to shim the rad. support "as required". Even after shimming, the RH side is still 3/8 of an inch lower than the LH. Might be a little frame twist going on. I'm going to take it to a frame shop when I'm done to check it all out. The LH rear is 3/4 of an inch higher than the RH sideas well.

I found an aftermarket big group 27 battery for the car. Now to see if anyone makes a topper for the big battery.

Will call Fusick tomorrow - need to return a few items and order a new top motor.

Any ideas on my electrical issues thread?
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM

A few more pics of work completed in the last week. I'm going to try to fire the motor this Friday, and later next week take to the muffler shop to hang the exhaust. Finally a trip right after New Year's for a new top. Then finally to the painter's for final body panel alignment and polishing.
Attached Images
IMGA0414.jpg (68.3 KB, 114 views)
IMGA0417.jpg (72.1 KB, 119 views)
IMGA0423.jpg (56.7 KB, 110 views)
IMGA0428.jpg (52.0 KB, 107 views)
IMGA0425.jpg (60.0 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by costpenn; December 17th, 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Another 72 442 Vert Project - It Just Keeps Snowballing