'70 Vista Cruiser Project

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Allan, I saw you asking questions on the stationwagon forum. I'm counting on you!!!! If I wasn't so embroiled on everything else, I would try to do some leg work myself. I guess my question would be, how durable would the stuff be for signs. I'm sure pretty good. Cheaper is good!?
You're on the station wagon forum Erik?
That place is weird sometimes, I've found since I got mine that most wagon owners are odd ducks.
I don't get over there too often, surprised the wagon woodgrain guy didn't chime in? That place was a regular sign shop before and then got into the woodgrain, does a much nicer job on furd woodgrain trim than he does wallpapering wagons.
The sign guys have the printers for the stuff, none if it is made until they get an order so it's hard to get decent samples, only a couple have even responded to me.
My brother explained the whole manufacturing and printing process in detail, way more than I wanted to know.
Old February 7th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Registered Luser

I just started over there....I rather dedicate my time here. I probably wont spend too much time there.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Govt slave

Have fun !
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Oh, I'm on the stationwagon forum. Good site, more of a social place I've noticed unless you have a 90's roadmaster/caprice wagon or a fox body wagon. That is predominantly what is there. There is a diverse community, but that creates the problem. Everyone has something different and doesn't know much about the other types.
Nice group though, and for those of you in the northeast they have plans to meet up at some shows around the northeast. Maybe we can all meet up too.

Here's the thread:
http://www.stationwagonforums.com/fo...ead.php?t=7692

I'm planning to go to the International Station Wagon Club show in Cherry Hill NJ on June 26th.

Sorry for the hijack...
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Govt slave

This ones for you Erik:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9wo-...eature=related
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Registered Luser

Vacation Over!

Went back to work on the inner qtr today! Made up a cardboard template of the lower panel I needed to fab up....had no real idea as to what it should look like so I guessed! There wasn't much left of the original. I got it welded in and now need to grind and clean up seam! This is up behind the gas tank, so it won't be noticed unless it gets pulled out Allan....don't worry, I'll still make it "presentable"!......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0098.jpg (41.8 KB, 31 views)
DSCN0099.jpg (42.2 KB, 29 views)
DSCN0100.jpg (46.4 KB, 35 views)
DSCN0101.jpg (44.1 KB, 34 views)
DSCN0102.jpg (42.7 KB, 35 views)
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
Registered Luser

After welding in the panel, I clamped up the "outer panel" to make sure everything was still where it needed to be! I flanged the bottom of the inner panel, and will trim the flange on the outer panel to mate the two. I'll spot weld along the flange to hopefully replicate a factory look!
Attached Images
DSCN0103.jpg (36.5 KB, 34 views)
DSCN0104.jpg (46.3 KB, 29 views)
DSCN0105.jpg (43.2 KB, 38 views)
DSCN0106.jpg (42.4 KB, 35 views)
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Went back to work on the inner qtr today! Made up a cardboard template of the lower panel I needed to fab up....had no real idea as to what it should look like so I guessed! There wasn't much left of the original. I got it welded in and now need to grind and clean up seam! This is up behind the gas tank, so it won't be noticed unless it gets pulled out Allan....don't worry, I'll still make it "presentable"!......

Did I say anything???
When I can do a better job I will, don't ever worry about that Erik.
That flange is for tearing up your knuckles trying to put the nut on the bolt for the fuel tank bracket, not much room in there.
It's getting there now Erik, I may still beat you out, I hope.

I've been finishing up stuff before paint, I never primed the inside lips of the fenders under the hood and got the underside of the hood painted, had to put on the new old hinges.
Getting the hood off and out of the way by myself was the hard part.
Spent all day aligning the hood and checking all the other gaps, is there a rule of thumb minimum for clearance?
The door edge swing clearance to the one fender is really close at the pointy top part of the door but the gap can't be made bigger, have about an eighth to 3/16th.
These cars were perfect when they were built?
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Registered Luser

Finally, I can weld & grind!

OK....Got the inner lower qtr all welded in and ground down! Protected the metal with primer, and installed outer panel for the final time! Got it all spot welded permanently.....now this weekend I need to concentrate on completely welding and grinding it all down. I know some of these pics seem repetitive, but I'm just trying to demonstrate how much work goes into this kind of job. The shows on SPEED and SPIKE, and the mags make it seem 1-2-3! Trust me, that's Hollywood!
Attached Images
DSCN0108.JPG (89.2 KB, 36 views)
DSCN0109.JPG (83.1 KB, 43 views)
DSCN0110.JPG (73.2 KB, 41 views)
DSCN0111.JPG (69.4 KB, 42 views)
DSCN0112.JPG (92.2 KB, 45 views)
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Registered Luser

A couple more!

The inside of the lower qtr...ground down....
Attached Images
DSCN0114.JPG (83.6 KB, 35 views)
DSCN0115.JPG (91.0 KB, 37 views)
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by made in the usa
still wish i had your talent you do make it look way to easy i know it takes time and skill but you are doing some really great work that car will be around for another 40 years the way your fixing her up every body here is watching you like a hawk just waiting for the day its painted and out in the sun for the first cruise going to be one of those days we all wish we could go for a ride lol keep up the great work your doing and thanks for showing your progress love seeing how its done makes me less nervous taking my car apart to do metal work but I'm not even going to attempt to touch my quarter panels wish i could even find a patch panel for mine have a great weekend of tinkering
Thanks so much! Appreciate the comments! I feel the same about paint and assembly...can't wait! Seeing color also makes the photos come alive....but I guess this is part of the journey!
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Registered

Just one question Erik.

How are you going to get the tire on with those vise grips in there?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but somebody had to tell you before you got in any deeper.
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Just one question Erik.

How are you going to get the tire on with those vise grips in there?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but somebody had to tell you before you got in any deeper.
He could run 50 series tires on the back, air shocks, 2x4 wedges, let them scrub 'til they wear down, the possibilities are endless...

By the way, great job on the fab work!
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks for the support Robert!
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Registered Luser

Almost done welding & grinding!

I didn't get quite as far as I wanted this weekend, but getting close! I managed to weld up and grind the dogleg, and do all the spotwelds around the wheelwell lip and on the lower pinchweld/flange. Also got that ground down. Then realized that a couple of brackets that hold on the stoneguard for the gas tank were MIA, so I made a couple of those and welded them in! The guard fit like a glove. No more sheetmetal screws to hold it in, screwed into the inner panels. Back to the way it was when born. I installed it to see how it fit and "got lucky", as I rebuilt the inner and outer lower qtr, without checking fitament of this as I was going along.....here are pics showing how it fit!
Attached Images
DSCN0117.jpg (43.0 KB, 50 views)
DSCN0118.JPG (89.6 KB, 40 views)
DSCN0119.JPG (94.9 KB, 42 views)
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Registered Luser

I did manage to also get the lower part of the qtr welded and ground. Just the radius of the wheelwell left, then I can move on to stripping the rest of the panel and do bodywork. Here are a couple of pics showing how the flange turned out....
Attached Images
DSCN0120.JPG (89.8 KB, 45 views)
DSCN0121.JPG (91.2 KB, 42 views)
DSCN0122.JPG (94.9 KB, 38 views)
DSCN0123.JPG (91.7 KB, 46 views)
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:05 AM
Registered

I approve, you can go on from there now.
Bodywork?
Now you'll really be able to see how perfect they built these cars.
The left side lead guy was much better than the right on mine.

I'm still blocking out primer, been two weeks for 4-5 hours a day and I still have the roof and tailgate to do. I already blocked and primed about 3-4 times before this final one. It doesn't look like there are a lot of dings and dents until you start blocking with a guide coat It has to be smooth as a baby's butt, the heavy orange peel actually helps to see what you did. I'm no spray gun expert and that LVLP gun takes some getting used to, it's like slow motion.
The cars are big and they have a ton of peaks and edges, the hood bumps are about the only flat spot and those curve down in front. Even the back doors bulge out to the quarters. A lot different than the slab-sided things with tiny side windows they're building now.
Funny how the two major major build threads that are still going are both Vista Cruisers?
A few others fell by the wayside once they figured out a resto was real work and got the frustros. It seperates the men from the boys, that's for sure.
Maybe I should start documenting my block sanding and jump in?
Wait until it's back from paint, how to apply woodgrain should be a good one.
Ever see the Three Stooges episode when they did wallpaper?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM

Love the build. Keep it up.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM

Erik,You are getting there . Looking good and solid.

Bluevista, When I was looking at the roof of my vista you are right the lead work was poor at best. I have a lot of work ahead of me to get the roof straight. My arms will be very tired after this one.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
Registered Luser

I approve, you can go on from there now.
Bodywork?
Now you'll really be able to see how perfect they built these cars.
The left side lead guy was much better than the right on mine.

I'm still blocking out primer, been two weeks for 4-5 hours a day and I still have the roof and tailgate to do. I already blocked and primed about 3-4 times before this final one. It doesn't look like there are a lot of dings and dents until you start blocking with a guide coat It has to be smooth as a baby's butt, the heavy orange peel actually helps to see what you did. I'm no spray gun expert and that LVLP gun takes some getting used to, it's like slow motion.
The cars are big and they have a ton of peaks and edges, the hood bumps are about the only flat spot and those curve down in front. Even the back doors bulge out to the quarters. A lot different than the slab-sided things with tiny side windows they're building now.
Funny how the two major major build threads that are still going are both Vista Cruisers?
A few others fell by the wayside once they figured out a resto was real work and got the frustros. It seperates the men from the boys, that's for sure.
Maybe I should start documenting my block sanding and jump in?
Wait until it's back from paint, how to apply woodgrain should be a good one.
Ever see the Three Stooges episode when they did wallpaper?
Allan, are your fingers bleeding yet? I'll be in Detroit for the next four days training some of my shops on waterborne.....too bad you couldn't get your car there! I'd spray it for you as a demo for the guys! As long as you don't mind H2O....don't worry, I kind of know what I'm doing.....
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Pickleman
Love the build. Keep it up.
Thanks!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by 70vista
Erik,You are getting there . Looking good and solid.

Bluevista, When I was looking at the roof of my vista you are right the lead work was poor at best. I have a lot of work ahead of me to get the roof straight. My arms will be very tired after this one.
Welcome to "Our World" Steve! Don't worry, there's enough room for three of us!
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Registered Luser

Metal Work On Qtr Done!

Was out of town last weekend, so I didn't get to work on this much, and am leaving town again tomorrow morning, so I did what I could today! My brother stripped the qtr. During that process, we discovered more rot(surprising) under the gas door! Proceeded to weld that up, then circled all the dents that needed pick and filing, did that, and finally, I'm ready for bodywork!
Attached Images
DSCN0125.JPG (92.2 KB, 52 views)
DSCN0126.JPG (84.6 KB, 46 views)
DSCN0131.JPG (73.7 KB, 46 views)
DSCN0132.JPG (84.1 KB, 44 views)
DSCN0133.JPG (86.3 KB, 46 views)
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Registered Luser

While my bro stripprd the qtr, I did some bdywk on the inner wheelwell around the seam on the right side....that is now ready for primer!
Attached Images
DSCN0134.JPG (94.4 KB, 41 views)
DSCN0135.JPG (95.8 KB, 44 views)
DSCN0127.JPG (77.9 KB, 42 views)
DSCN0129.JPG (66.5 KB, 37 views)
DSCN0130.JPG (91.3 KB, 45 views)
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Govt slave

Damn !!!
I thought you died !!! (glad you didn't)
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:39 AM

Erik:
Great job on the 1/4 panel, shield area, and filler panel door! I know exactly what you are going through, and so much more of it to love on a S/W!!!!! Stay at it, you really looking good!
Aron
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Registered

Erik didn't croak, he's been working on the car, hard to type and sling bondo at the same time.
I've been working on mine and haven't been around much too?

I approve and pass all the work of this latest phase Erik.

Inner wheelwell glazing putty! Just shoost it with undercoating shoost and cover it all up.
Is that Euroglaze?
Looks the same, I used a half gallon of that stuff and sanded off 2 quarts.
I still have a tube of the old rust oxide color DuPont lacquer glazing putty, I'm aged.
I'm very proud that I have a 99% full can of bondo left that I didn't have to use on the Vista, pure dumb luck.
I have a bunch of McDonalds bags and steel wool all ready for rust hole patching left over too, free to anybody if you pay for the ride.

How did it rust under the gas door, water trapped under the woodgrain or is there another factory moisture entrapment panel in there?
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice progress Erik!
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by squirell
Damn !!!
I thought you died !!! (glad you didn't)
Well thank you! I appreciate that!
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Registered Luser

Allan,
The inner parrt of the fuel filler area where the cap is, that was factory frosted with seam sealer in there! Somehow, water got past there, and in between the outer qtr and inner fuel filler opening structure thingy! Therefore a chemical reaction occurred with the water and unprimed sheetmetal, resulting in a phenomenom called "iron oxide".....you probably never experienced this being from Cleveland!!!! By the way, stop changing your avatar....you're making me dizzy!
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Nice progress Erik!
Darrell, we'll be there tomorrow, SAT 20th! Should be a nice day! Bring your new girlfriend by!!!!
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Erik:
Great job on the 1/4 panel, shield area, and filler panel door! I know exactly what you are going through, and so much more of it to love on a S/W!!!!! Stay at it, you really looking good!
Aron
Thanks Aron....."you ain't kiddin'!"
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Registered Luser

Yes, finally finished another panel!

Yes it's true....the qtr is done! Been traveling a lot, a little sick and some family obligations have slowed the project down....back on track now!
Finished the bodywork today, and got it primed.....was more work than expected, as the thing was riddled with dents and dings. The first pic is the fiberglass over the weld, had to do 2 passes with plastic and 1 with polyester. Overall, I'm very satisfied with finished product.....
Attached Images
DSCN0136.JPG (88.9 KB, 47 views)
DSCN0140.JPG (71.9 KB, 40 views)
DSCN0141.jpg (34.1 KB, 41 views)
DSCN0142.jpg (40.4 KB, 43 views)
DSCN0143.jpg (38.1 KB, 43 views)
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Registered Luser

More pics!

I also finally primed up the rt wheelwell......next stop will be the rear tub....
Attached Images
DSCN0144.jpg (33.2 KB, 34 views)
DSCN0146.jpg (40.6 KB, 36 views)
DSCN0148.jpg (35.8 KB, 48 views)
DSCN0145.jpg (44.1 KB, 39 views)
DSCN0147.jpg (42.0 KB, 41 views)
Old March 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Gee Erik, what's the use?
You can't even tell you did anything?

I won't say anything but my car isn't in my garage and where it's at has two really nice spray booths.

My next avatar will be my car finished or nothing.

Rear tub?
Cool.
Whirpool or hot type tub?
I opted for the walk-in beer cooler.
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Registered Luser

Gee Erik, what's the use?
You can't even tell you did anything?

I won't say anything but my car isn't in my garage and where it's at has two really nice spray booths.

My next avatar will be my car finished or nothing.

Rear tub?
About time on the paint job!

About time you got a new avatar!

Rear tub ....rear cooler, rear storage, secret , undercover, place to hide drugs and weapons compartment!
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:23 PM

wow, nice job, I'd love to be able to work on my own car..... one day
Old March 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Govt slave

Progress !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks great
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:54 PM

That is looking super. Strong work!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
Registered Luser

Thank you! My '72 Cutlass was originally the same color as yours...

Quick Reply: '70 Vista Cruiser Project