'71 CS dash chrome trim

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2015, 04:21 PM

'71 CS dash chrome trim

Anyone ever bought this from OPGI? Was it a good fit and worth the $60? Mine was broken at some point with a one inch gap in the center, and the clips glued on with silicone

https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/CT20338/
Old May 18th, 2015, 04:50 PM

I bought mine for less from Fusick http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....?number=DBM702
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:08 PM

Thanks man. Was it a quality piece?
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I bought mine from Fusick also. It only cost 35.00 when I bought it. Yes, it was the same quality as OEM and had the proper dash anchors included. Amazing how much prices have gone up in the years isn't it? EDIT: just checked the link and it's pretty much the same price!! OPGI and Year One are notoriously high on their pricing. Same part as everyone else sells with tons of markup.
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:55 PM

Part ordered. Thanks fellas.
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:57 PM

Allan, just curious (because I want to complain about shipping cost) is shipping across the boarder outrageous? I just paid $12.00
Old May 18th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Cross border shipping can be nuts. Did a rough calculation for a pair of grills from North Carolina...something like $80 US to my door. The same package was $20 US to Blaine, Washington. From Blaine I can use a small company who will bring it the local airport for $20 and I do my own brokerage/customs. The rule of thumb is to double the price of a part to determine what it will cost to get it in my hands.

Let us know how you make out with that piece, Mac. I need to replace mine too...does the dash have to come out for that?
Old May 18th, 2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Amazing how much prices have gone up in the years isn't it?
Yes, I am having sticker shock at some of the things I did back in the 90s that need to be done again now. Wow, I've had the car long enough that it's been 20 years for some of that stuff. I don't think I'll be able to afford doing a lot of this again.
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:56 PM

FYI... As far as shipping from Fusick, you can select priority USPS and it'll save you a few bucks compared to fedex. I paid $10 for USPS compared to $12 for fedex.
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:26 PM

does the dash have to come out for that?
No it doesn't. It's an easy install, and makes a big difference in the appearance of your dash. I used Fusick's, and was quit happy with it, both for price and quality.
Old May 19th, 2015, 05:54 AM

Sorry to hear that Cutty; I'll definitely stop complaining about my shipping costs......maybe. And as far as FedEx vs. USPS, I live in the country and know my mail carrier. She'll just put whatever won't fit in the mailbox in a nice safe place in the garage. FedEx leaves my packages in the rain.

AS far as installing the molding; do the pins slide in the channel pretty easily? I could see lining those up with the holes in the dash being the most difficult part.
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:00 AM

do the pins slide in the channel pretty easily
Yes they do, they come in their own bag, and you have to slide them in from the end, and though they are plastic, they are sharp buggers.
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Allan, just curious (because I want to complain about shipping cost) is shipping across the boarder outrageous? I just paid $12.00
Huh? cross boarder?? LOL I think you mean border. A cross boarder is an angry individual who would pay ME for staying here . Yes, cross border can easily cost more than the part itself, depending on the method and shipper. It sux because it never used to be this bad. Some of the big companies like ILT are still really reasonable, but others aren't.

Originally Posted by 72cutlassconv
FYI... As far as shipping from Fusick, you can select priority USPS and it'll save you a few bucks compared to fedex. I paid $10 for USPS compared to $12 for fedex.
I have had nothing but trouble from Fusick shipping. Their quotes are ridiculously high and then they ship in old cigarette boxes stuffed with smoky smelling wadded up paper. This has happened 2x on separate orders. Not impressed with them at all.

FedEx leaves my packages in the rain.

AS far as installing the molding; do the pins slide in the channel pretty easily? I could see lining those up with the holes in the dash being the most difficult part.
Fedex here doesn't even ring the doorbell or let you know they were there. They leave packages out in the weather exactly like what you describe. Not impressed with them at all, especially when I was home when the delivery happened. Stumbled onto it 3 hours after delivery when I went out the front door.

Mac, when you put those plastic anchors in, make sure they're where you want them. They're a 'one way' plastic pin with little teeth that bite in and hold the molding from coming out. Don't put them in the old holes that are in your dash from the old molding or they won't anchor properly.
Old May 19th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Oh, hadn't thought of that. Drill new holes then and place them as I see fit; good plan. I actually kept the old anchors just in case but not sure they would hold. The old trim was pretty much siliconed onto the dash so whatever I do, it'll look better than it did.
Old May 19th, 2015, 02:27 PM

Were there any 70-72 models or trim levels where this trim wasn't installed, or would a dashboard missing the trim and not having any anchor holes indicate the dash pad was replaced?
Old May 19th, 2015, 03:04 PM

I don't know, Cutty. Is there a channel for the trim to lay in? Mine would be painfully obvious without it, all the holes would show. Maybe your dash was NOS and hadn't had the holes drilled yet?
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Oh, hadn't thought of that. Drill new holes then and place them as I see fit; good plan.
NOOOO. You don't drill holes. The anchors create their own holes as they are pressed into place in the foam core of the dash pad.

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Were there any 70-72 models or trim levels where this trim wasn't installed
Lots of 70-72 models didn't have dash bead molding. It was more prevalent and popular on the CS models. Doesn't mean it can't be added to any of them though.

Is there a channel for the trim to lay in?
Yes, it's quite obvious if you look at the scribed indentation around the leading edge of the dash pad.

see above the AC vents?
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:00 PM

"The anchors create their own holes as they are pressed into place in the foam core of the dash pad."

Okay Allan, I'll have a look.
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:25 PM

Does anyone have a source for just the anchors? I have the new molding but where I got it from did not provide anchors.
Thanks
Jeff Carey
Old April 6th, 2016, 11:18 AM

To add to an old thread.
I'm the 3rd owner of my 442 had it since 81.
The dash does have the chrome bead, and it was glued on the dashpad not installed with the spikes.
Old April 10th, 2016, 03:59 PM

Thank you AZMotorhead