Headliner questions

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2014, 09:23 AM

Headliner questions

I've spent some time searching CO for a good thread on headliner installs but could not come up with anything. I found this video on youtube that seems to be quite helpful. I've talked to the pros and I've decided to take this project on myself for logistics and cost sake. I have been cautioned of the possibility of purchasing headliner that were poor quality or too small. Does anyone have any recommendations on headliner brands to purchase or install hints?

Thanks,
Randy
Old September 11th, 2014, 09:43 AM

Holy cow, that looks like a horrific job, lol! I'm literally looking at the new headliner I got yesterday, trying to work up the ambition to start the install. I did several 15 or 20 years ago, but was much more flexible then, and the glass was out. I'll give it a shot, and if it turns out decent I'll post some pics. If it turns out hideous, I'll just tell everybody it was in the car when I got it, lol!

Edit: I purchased mine with a carpet set from automotiveinteriors.com, and the headliner appears to be the same brand as the video. The carpet fit nicely, and I assume the headliner has the "potential" to look just as good.

Last edited by Jetstarjim; September 11th, 2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: add info
Old September 17th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I looked at seven different vendors and went with automotiveinteriors.com. for the entire interior. My 56 has a cotton headliner with seven bows and I stared at the box for over a month before I had the courage to even open it. I did the install myself and it really wasn't very hard. Take your time and think ahead. Taking off the trim, mirror, coat hooks, visor, etc. and leaving the screws in place is essential. For me, putting in the windlace was far more difficult. Also, I had removed the seats, and that gave me more room to move from side to side and back to front. The best tool I had was an old 3 inch plastic putty knife that I filed down to round the edge. It worked great for pushing the headliner in. As mentioned elsewhere, there's nothing better than getting compliments on something that you did yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Upholstery 002.jpg (49.7 KB, 47 views)
Upholstery 005.jpg (40.1 KB, 42 views)
More Upholstery 008.jpg (41.4 KB, 35 views)
Old September 17th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I should add, all those wrinkles are gone now. After a few months, the cotton shrunk in the summer humidity.
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:16 AM

I made mine from scratch.
Get about 100 of these paper clips. Once you've got it as best you can, let it heat cycle for several days. In the sun if possible. Readjust the clips. You may want to rpeat once or twice, then glue, add the windlace. No wrinkles.
DSCN0280.jpg
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The best headliner installation thread I've found is on a site for another make that begins with the third letter in the alphabet, right here.
It seems to cover it pretty well.

- Eric
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The best headliner installation thread I've found is on a site for another make that begins with the third letter in the alphabet, right here.
It seems to cover it pretty well.

- Eric
I totally agree. I used this link to install mine also. I bought my liner from Legendary Interiors. Also for better results your might have to remove the rear glass. Especially when you get ready to put the windlace on.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; September 17th, 2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Nice job

QUOTE=ignachuck;744895]I looked at seven different vendors and went with automotiveinteriors.com. for the entire interior. My 56 has a cotton headliner with seven bows and I stared at the box for over a month before I had the courage to even open it. I did the install myself and it really wasn't very hard. Take your time and think ahead. Taking off the trim, mirror, coat hooks, visor, etc. and leaving the screws in place is essential. For me, putting in the windlace was far more difficult. Also, I had removed the seats, and that gave me more room to move from side to side and back to front. The best tool I had was an old 3 inch plastic putty knife that I filed down to round the edge. It worked great for pushing the headliner in. As mentioned elsewhere, there's nothing better than getting compliments on something that you did yourself.[/QUOTE

I appreciate the info and I'll post pics when I'm done (if it turns out hehe)