new crpet install

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2014, 03:15 PM

new crpet install

Bought a 68 Cutlass that had new carpet in it, which sounded good. Got to looking closer and the PO did a lousy install. The front piece isn't bad but they just set the rear in and called it good. It was not properly fit to the floor so it wasn't wide enough to fit under the still plates. I'm going to do it right and need to know what glue to use, do I start in the center and work my way to the doors, do I need to heat it to get it to conform to the floor, all sorts of small questions I haven't even thought of yet. Getting the motor next week so I want all these type of things out of the way. Thanks all...
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:10 PM

Was this a premolded carpet(2 pieces) or just a piece of remnant he tried to fit in there? When I installed mine, I just used 3M light trim adhesive to tack it down lightly. I also had to build up under the tranny hump a little with jute padding. It turned out great. Chumley
Old September 21st, 2014, 02:44 PM
KDV

Originally Posted by Chumley
Was this a premolded carpet(2 pieces) or just a piece of remnant he tried to fit in there? When I installed mine, I just used 3M light trim adhesive to tack it down lightly. I also had to build up under the tranny hump a little with jute padding. It turned out great. Chumley
This is on my To-Do list. What manufacturer do you recommend? Did you use any sound-deadening?
Old September 21st, 2014, 06:05 PM

I used carpet made by ACC, bought at Legendary. It was well molded and of good quality. Under it I used a full layer of dynamat extreme and then 1/4" dynaliner on top of that, so then the carpet fit was not as good at the sides of the floor pan. I fixed that with some shimming with cheap jute underlayment where needed and all came out nicely. No glue or heating required.
You can see my pictures and progress in my interior makeover thread, linked below. Hope it helps with your project...
Old September 21st, 2014, 10:29 PM

Hmm. When I installed mine back in the early '90s no glue was required, and apparently there was none used on the carpet I pulled out as it came out very easily (just lifted off the floorboards). The new front carpet laid flat nicely, and the rear was molded so it fit the contours of the hump and up the front of the seat fairly well. I never even considered using glue.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:30 AM
KDV

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I used carpet made by ACC, bought at Legendary. It was well molded and of good quality. Under it I used a full layer of dynamat extreme and then 1/4" dynaliner on top of that, so then the carpet fit was not as good at the sides of the floor pan. I fixed that with some shimming with cheap jute underlayment where needed and all came out nicely. No glue or heating required.
You can see my pictures and progress in my interior makeover thread, linked below. Hope it helps with your project...

Thanks Rob!
Old September 25th, 2014, 02:48 PM

As I recall now, I think I used the 3M adhesive to tack down the sound-deadener(tar paperlike material) so it would not move around while putting the carpet in. The ACC carpet(through Legendary) has built-in padding on the back, so no additional padding was needed except for over the tranny hump. Chumley
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Hmm. When I installed mine back in the early '90s no glue was required, and apparently there was none used on the carpet I pulled out as it came out very easily (just lifted off the floorboards). The new front carpet laid flat nicely, and the rear was molded so it fit the contours of the hump and up the front of the seat fairly well. I never even considered using glue.
Did mine last year and this is pretty much what my experience was. Its just a little tricky to trim around the edges to be sure you don't cut too much off. The seat belt anchors and door sill plates keep it from sliding around, no glue required.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I've had the carpet out of my 72 and there was no adhesive. It's a molded fit and the sides are secured by the sill trim. The only thing glued to the carpet is the jute padding on the bottom, but it's not glued to the floor pans.
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:50 PM

I just layed down some trim parts brand carpet in a 68 cutlass. back piece layed perfect. i use 3-m spray glue a heat gun and alot of beating to lay it flat. The front piece fit for s@#t. I did everything. The molded floor trans hump is way too high.I would have needed a little pillow to pad it to make the hump lay nice. i tore the jute off as to try and mold the varpet to the trans hump. It still is a bit bunchy. I never had an issue like this before and I've done many. with the deats in console and other items (like mats) you don't see much but It still bugs me.