53 carpet!

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM

53 carpet!

hi again! im am going to be replacing the carpet in my 1953 2 dr coupe(88) and i was wondering if any of you could tell me if there is a difference in the super88 carpet and 88 carpet. after a couple of emails to stock interiors all i got was "the trim package on this one is a little bigger so you can trim to fit". I dont want to go on for days emailing back and forth to get a more specific answer so is the super bigger or the 88? are the edges finished a little fancier on the super? they told me the floor plans are the same just a different trim package. Can anyone clarify this for me, does the split(back rests) bench seat tell me anything about the model/body style?
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The 88 and the Super 88 are the same body. The carpets should be the same size. There may be a different grade in the 88 and the Super 88 but I imagine you will only find one grade of replacement carpet.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:14 PM

thanks a lot redoldsman, just dont want to end up short...anyways, ive seen lots of pics of these 50s olds and wonder if the split bench was standard for coupes and convertibles or was it a factory option/upgrade?
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't think there were any options back then. You had to have the split back on the seat to have access to the back seat in coupes and convertibles. There were no options like bucket seats or center armrest.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:53 PM

Hi
I got a new carpet from Stock Interiors for my 53 super88 coupe last year.
Pretty happy with the quality, I didn’t do any “trim to fit” cutting, the only disadvantages are that I find the carpet a little short just by the back seat.
Probably something only I notice...
/ Andreas

Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:02 PM

how short though? if its visible im not sure i will be pleased, but if its something a little streching or manipulation can hide i may be ok with it. and thats what i was thinking about the split in the back rest, thanks for helping me clarify that
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:08 PM

In my mindI want the carpet to be folded up against where the floor is bent upwards andgoes for the back seat support.
You more orless need to stand on your knees to see it and even when you don’t fold it upit looks OK.
I will seeif I can take a picture during the weekend.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:15 PM

thank you andreas for your input, noticed the 4th of july sale and will probably be ordering tonight to take advantage of saving a couple bucks. thanks for your reply and ill post pics when installed! did you have a gap under your front bench? seems as though thats the way its going to be...
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:13 PM

Saving afew bucks is always a good thing, and yes the carpet is in two pieces so youwill have a gap under the front bench.
I don’t knowwhat you are planning to order but I went for a “cut and sewn 801-black plushcut pile” style.
From the beginningmy interior was gray/red but doing a piece at the time it will end up as black/red.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:20 PM

going with 522 light blue cut and sewn 80/20 loop. cant seem to find anyone else that has carpet for those older 50s oldsmobiles but i think i will be ok, got samples and the blue matches the car's colors perfectly so thats what im going to get...