Questions on removing old convertible top

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Photoshop God

Questions on removing old convertible top

I'm going to be removing the convertible top, later (a year or two) I'm going to have a shop put the new one on. 71 Cutlass.

Is there anything on here about how to remove the old top? Anything I have to be careful of? I plan on taking lots of photos along the way but I don't want to screw something up or make it more difficult for the shop to put it back on later.

Thanks!
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:05 PM

Why not just let them remove the top when they are putting the new one on? That way you can't screw anything up or make it more difficult for the shop to put it back on.

If it's in your way just put it down. You don't have to worry about ruining the top, you are getting a new one. I doubt they will give you a discount for removing the old top yourself.
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by starfire
Why not just let them remove the top when they are putting the new one on? That way you can't screw anything up or make it more difficult for the shop to put it back on.

If it's in your way just put it down. You don't have to worry about ruining the top, you are getting a new one. I doubt they will give you a discount for removing the old top yourself.
I may need to do some paint or other work on the top frame. Current state can be seen here...
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:43 PM

That top looks a little rough. I just removed my top and I need a front header bow. The tend to rot on the out board edge next to the vent window. If you can grab the top at that point and are able to flex it up or down you'll know. It's common on these A bodies. The three pieces in the rear that hold the very back apron down are also prone to rotting but they are galvanized so may still be good.
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:46 PM

Read the service manual on top removal. I believe there is a CRITICAL measurement to take before removal. On my 98 a measurement is supposed to be taken between rear tack strip and first bow at rear curtain tack. If you know what shop you will use talk to them. Research it. Lots of top info online, and there is one shop that has install videos for sale. Mine came with no top and I have been looking into this.