70-72 Cutlass Trunk

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2014, 11:42 AM

Question 70-72 Cutlass Trunk

Was there ever a panel (sound deadening?) sitting against the back seat separating the interior and the trunk? I have seen many applications that are obviously non-factory (boom-boom stereos), but was this ever available from GM for A-bodies?

See pics.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trunk with.jpg (14.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg
trunk without.jpg (26.9 KB, 69 views)
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:14 PM

The trunk on the left looks like a convertible.

I've never seen any factory insulation back there.
Old June 19th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
Was there ever a panel (sound deadening?) sitting against the back seat separating the interior and the trunk? I have seen many applications that are obviously non-factory (boom-boom stereos), but was this ever available from GM for A-bodies?

See pics.

Thanks!
On non-convertibles, at least, there is usually a sound deadener panel stuck to the front side of the divider between the trunk and passenger compartment. This panel is under the seatback for the rear seat.
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
On non-convertibles, at least, there is usually a sound deadener panel stuck to the front side of the divider between the trunk and passenger compartment. This panel is under the seatback for the rear seat.
Just so I understand, you mean inside the passenger compartment? Not a cardboard panel that can be removed from the trunk side?
Old June 19th, 2014, 05:03 PM

When you remove the rear upper back seat cushion you'll find a cardboardish that closes of the trunk.

Henry
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That sound deadener on the non vert cars actually hooks onto 2 tabs on the forward side of the trunk divider. It is inside the cabin behind the seat upright as Henry mentioned. If you remove it, you can see the top of the vent cannister for the 71/72 models.

That material does fall apart over time. One side has plasticized material, the other is a type of jute. The jute faces the trunk.
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:53 PM

Got it now. Thanks folks I appreciate it!
Old June 22nd, 2014, 02:45 PM

So does anyone know where you can get a replacement for that sound-deadener? Just pulled mine out and it's crumbling pretty bad.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 03:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You're just as well off to use Dyna mat attached to a piece of 1/8 hardboard. Replacement sound deadener will end up drying out too. There are literally hundreds of sources for auto sound deadening. Google 'Auto sound deadeners' You'll find something close by and affordable. This is going to be where no one is really going to see it, and unless you're building a concourse or points car it's hardly worth paying more than you need to.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
You're just as well off to use Dyna mat attached to a piece of 1/8 hardboard. Replacement sound deadener will end up drying out too.
I agree that Dynamat is the way to go, but I am wondering how you can get a "factory" look? Not building a concourse car but I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a resto-mod that I would like to look as stock as possible.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I honestly don't think anyone makes the pad we're talking about the same as GM did. I know the problem seems to be universally that the original rubberized coating they put on the cabin side just doesn't last. Mine is a mess too, but there's enough of it to still hang on those uprights that hold it. I'll likely have to turf it in the near future as it's not really doing its job.

Just a thought. If you want a concourse part or close. Check with Patton Glade. He's on this site as 70Post and restores these cars professionally.