72 Cutlass Console question

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2014, 09:57 AM

72 Cutlass Console question

I am in the process of doing a bench to bucket, column shift to floor shift conversion in my 72 cutlass s...

i found an original 70-72 console (not sure what year car it came from) that is for an automatic... few questions:

1 what is a fair price for an original console in descent shape?

2 i do not have a factory shifter, i have an B&M Megashifter; will this fit without me ruining a perfectly good original console? (i dont want to cut it up in-case some day i pony up and buy a dual gate or even just dont want to ruin a hard to find part or if i do need to make modifications i dont want to spend near 400 on a console and not be able to use it after making mods and then no one else can either)

3 as someone who is restoring their first olds; any big "warning signs" to look out for?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:07 AM
delete

IDK for certain but I'd think you'd have to modify the console to work with a B&M shifter.
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by btbradley12
...i have an B&M Megashifter; will this fit without me ruining a perfectly good original console?
Nope
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:55 AM

thanks for the replies; how much would have to be done to make it fit? or is that just not worth it?

any suggestions on an aftermarket console?
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:57 AM

I am in the process of doing a bench to bucket, column shift to floor shift conversion in my 72 cutlass s...

i found an original 70-72 console (not sure what year car it came from) that is for an automatic... few questions:

1 what is a fair price for an original console in descent shape?

2 i do not have a factory shifter, i have an B&M Megashifter; will this fit without me ruining a perfectly good original console? (i dont want to cut it up in-case some day i pony up and buy a dual gate or even just dont want to ruin a hard to find part or if i do need to make modifications i dont want to spend near 400 on a console and not be able to use it after making mods and then no one else can either)

3 as someone who is restoring their first olds; any big "warning signs" to look out for?

Thanks in advance for your help
Consoles work best (only?) with factory shifters. Consoles range from $150 to $400, shifters from $75 to $200.

Big warning signs on a '72 Cutlass are frame rust, cowl rust, accident damage, unclear title, electrical issues, or major mechanical issues (engine, transmission, rear end). Much like any antique car...

My biggest suggestion on these cars is not to spend $10,000 or more on a base car, it costs about the same amount to restore/modify a 442, or Hurst, or other special model - and the potential return is far greater.

Just my opinions, Steve
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:59 AM

thanks for the replies; how much would have to be done to make it fit? or is that just not worth it?

any suggestions on an aftermarket console?
I personally wouldn't alter an OEM console in this way. I'd find an OEM shifter, or go to a upull and find a console that I like if I'm going to do mods. This way you can even get cupholders!

Steve
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:06 PM

Thanks Steve; I appreciate the input, and cupholders would be great! any experience with this console?

http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/int...nsole/CH30114/

if that link doesnt work try this...

http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/int...nsole/CH30114/
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Steve; I appreciate the input, and cupholders would be great! any experience with this console?

Well, if your intent is to mount the Megashifter to the floor and put that one behind it, it will work. Obviously you can't mount the shifter in that console.

As for putting an aftermarket shifter in a factory console, it can be done, but it requires fabrication and will make the rare factory console unusable with the stock shifter. Basically, you want to mount this:

in this:

The naked Megashifter looks like this:

Here's an example of one going into another brand of console:

I believe this is a Pontiac console, but I don't know for sure. In any case, note how wide this console and the Megashifter bezel are compared to the 70-72 Cutlass console. I doubt the Cutlass console is wide enough.
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:24 PM

You hit the nail on the head. Yes i was thinking of using an aftermarket console behind the B&M shifter. I see what you mean about the width and i dont want to ruin an original console like i said at the beginning of the thread; thats just not a fair thing to do.

as far as the console i posted the link to; i just want to be sure its not junk; its not expensive (whats a little over a hundred dollars while restoring a car) i just wanted to be sure i wasnt going to get the console and it be cheaply made, flimsy, and fall apart quickly.

Thank you again for your help guys
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

in this:

Wow Joe, I had to do a "save image" on that piece of console ****....
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vette442
Wow Joe, I had to do a "save image" on that piece of console ****....
What, you can't just walk out to the garage and drool?
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:13 PM

How ironic, I actually just found one of these shifters to install in mine! I had to go to Summit and buy a new cable, though. The only problem is that the cable has an eyelet on only one end. The other end is just a thread. I don't know if Summit has something I can thread on the end or not...anyone? When I tried to hook up the shifter the first time, I believe it was going to have to go forward a few inches (like the pic above). My Uncle is a very good woodworker, and he build a custom console for his '67 Le Mans. We are going to do the same for mine!
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:15 PM

keegan, will you be posting pics when done?? i have to do something because i now have a gap in the carpet that used to be covered by my bench seat and my father in law is a carpenter, i'm intrigued by your idea! did you cover it with upholstery or just paint it?
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:59 PM

keegan, will you be posting pics when done?? i have to do something because i now have a gap in the carpet that used to be covered by my bench seat and my father in law is a carpenter, i'm intrigued by your idea! did you cover it with upholstery or just paint it?
I'll definitely post pics! I'm hoping to start on it this week. As far as covering it, I'll probably just finish the wood with a nice varnish or something. But we'll be drawing out schematics and everything, so I'll post that too!