'73 98 Carpet Choice

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2013, 04:36 PM

'73 98 Carpet Choice

Redoing the carpet in my 73 98. It has already been replaced once (I think) with cut pile, but wondering if the original stock was loop or cut pile? Fusick shows the '73 with loop, but wondering if anyone else has a perspective.

Old December 24th, 2013, 06:15 AM

Stock Auto Interiors In South Carolina Carries A Complete Line of Carpet Moulded To Fit Your Floorboard Exactly. you Choose The Type & Color And Body Style and They Have Step by Step Instructions. I Believe They Are $135.00 For Your Car Plus Shipping. Hope This Helps. I Know Some People That Have Used Them And They Were Very Satisfied. Larry
Old December 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The other big supplier (which may supply SAI above) is Auto Custom Carpets in Alabama or Arkansas or near there. The odds are that one of these made the carpet sold by Fusick, so you may as well go to the source and skip the middleman.

Your car originally had loop, not cut pile.
Mine has red indoor / outdoor pieced together and glued in place by the PO.

- Eric
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:20 AM

When I went to put new carpet in my '73 Custom Cruiser, I bought it from Vark Motors. The carpet fit fine, I think it looks great, and I've been very happy with it. I liked buying from this place because I was in Ohio at the time and the company is Ohio-based. It is the loop style.

Order before the end of the month, and you can get free shipping.

http://www.varkmotors.com/

Below are a couple of photos of the result. I installed it myself.

Old December 24th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Thanks much - appreciate all of the options - I will be able to save money from Fusick and get exact match!
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
When I went to put new carpet in my '73 Custom Cruiser, I bought it from Vark Motors. The carpet fit fine, I think it looks great, and I've been very happy with it.

Below are a couple of photos of the result. I installed it myself.
Jaunty,

Did the replacement carpet you bought for your wagon include enough to cover behind the second seat up to the differential? The places I've contacted only sell enough for a sedan. You have to buy extra carpet--and I'm assuming, fit it yourself--for the flooring that reaches the third seat. Let me know. Thanks.

CCFan
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by customcruiserfan
Did the replacement carpet you bought for your wagon include enough to cover behind the second seat up to the differential?
Good question. The standard order does not include enough carpet for this. When I called Vark Motors and described what I needed, he said the best thing to do is to order a couple of extra yards of the carpet material and have that cut to fit what's needed behind the second seat.

I took those extra yards of carpet along with the originals of what was behind the second seat, which I was able to remove cleanly and completely, to an auto upholstery shop, and they cut and sewed the new carpet to match the old pieces.
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Olds
Redoing the carpet in my 73 98. It has already been replaced once (I think) with cut pile, but wondering if the original stock was loop or cut pile? Fusick shows the '73 with loop, but wondering if anyone else has a perspective.

I did both of my '76 98 coupes with carpets from Auto Custom Carpet (mentioned above) and they are beautiful. I believe it is called cut pile but you can confirm that with them as they have records of the correct style per year and model. Mine are both black so I can't really speak for color matches but I'm sure they do a good job there too. They make molds of the carpets from actual floor pans of original cars so they are very accurate and just need the usual edge trimming, seat/belt hole cutting, etc. I did both of mine myself and they look flawless. Just take your time! and make sure you have the seats mounted securely before you start trimming the outer edges!

Their website is: http://stockinteriors.com/

How bout some pics of your 98?

John