Unassembled new door panels.

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2013, 05:16 PM

Unassembled new door panels.

I am currently working on the rear panels for the quarter windows area in the back seat. I have taken the top metal piece off of the old panel and I see that there are holes along the top of it where the cardboard attaches to it. How do you fasten the metal to the cardboard/ It looks almost like a riveting type tool was used to attach the cardboard to the metal. Also the inner window rubber was stapled ono the metal. I need to replace this as well. I know I do not have a stapler that is going ot go through the metal. Can anyone help with how to assemble an unassembled rear panel n a 1968 teo door cutlass S post car?

Thanks in advance..........Todd
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:13 PM

Todd

I know this is a little too late but quite a few people recommended I buy them assembled for exactly that reason. I brought my old ones over to Legendary so they could assemble them. It was easy for me because they're only 20 minutes away. The upper metals aren't reproduced for a convertible so that's why need you to bring your old ones.
Old December 4th, 2013, 07:05 PM

When Legendary did my rear panels, they used an industrial stapler to attach the upper rails, as well as glue them. In 72 the rails were plastic, but they would probably do the same for metal.
As for the felt attachment, use new staples (usually provided with the felts) and run them through the original holes in the rails. But first, hold the felt strip in position and use a tiny drill bit to drill through the felt strip for the first staple. Put it in and bend the ends with pliers.
Continue on with the rest making sure that the strip is against the rail correctly.
Here is when i did mine...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post66668

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...57602930020786