Split bench in a car with a solid bench?

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Split bench in a car with a solid bench?

Is it possible to put a split bench seat in my 1977 Delta 88 when it only has a solid bench? I need another seat, and I've been told it isn't possible without welding in studs, is that true?

I'm thinking of doing some work to this car and keeping it, it's pretty light, it's plenty quick, but I miss my split bench seat.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Administrator

It depends on what year and body style the new seat came from. Any seat can be installed in any car with a bit of creativity.
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:30 AM

If it's out of the same year range model 2dr vs 4dr i think 77-mid 80s are the same and will bolt up.
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It depends on what year and body style the new seat came from. Any seat can be installed in any car with a bit of creativity.
Well, 77-84 or 85-ish where full size, rear wheel drive, for teh Delta 88, and 77-89 for the Custom Cruiser, both fit, both have the exact same dash as mine. I actually have hte plood bezel for the 1.5 DIN radio out of my '89 custom cruiser so I can install a modern stereo without cutting the dash panel.

I know that this stuff fits, I just don't know if they did not add studs to the floorboard or some other whacky GM nonsense, I mean, it didn't have rear speakers, so, there is no rear speaker wire. Not that it could be used if there was, rears used a common ground, wired in mono. Just using that as a reference to what companies like to leave out.

Basically, I'm just curious if there are actually studs in the floor with which I can mount the seat too. As I said, I know that GM is of the mindset of "If it isn't being used, don't install it, it saves us 1/5th of a cent per ten cars!"
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:23 PM

you will need to drill into the floor or weld studs into the floor for the inner 2 mounts on each seat. GM did not include those studs unless you got a split bench. any seat frames from a 77-90 B/D body will work