Strenghtening cardboard door panel backings.

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM
JC

Strengthening cardboard door panel backings.

My door panels are in pretty good shape, but I still like to reinforce the cardboard backing a bit. I have a couple small dime size areas that cardboard has deteriorated, especially in the area where the clips go. Any ideas on how to strengthen the backside of door panels?

I was thinking of some sort of 3m style hi strength thin backing or thinnest sound deadener for the overall reinforcing, or deadener. I also thought about some of that silver A\C home duct tape at Home Depot etc. Also need advice for the small holes. Just wanted to see if anyone out there has some good ideas. Thx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
71' Cutlass S Door pnl 1.jpg (30.9 KB, 107 views)
71' Cutlass S Door pnl 9.jpg (35.8 KB, 102 views)
71' Cutlass S Door pnl 10.jpg (43.1 KB, 98 views)
71' Cutlass S Door pnl 7.jpg (39.9 KB, 106 views)
71' Cutlass S Door pnl 8.jpg (47.2 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by JCMC64; June 3rd, 2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old August 26th, 2013, 01:17 PM

Maybe it's because I grew up with it, but things like that, I tend to reach for fibreglass. A single layer of mesh and resin would stiffen it up, reinforce the weak spots and clip holes, and would make it water resistant. I can't speak to how the foam under the upholstery on the good side would react if it soaked through tho.
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:09 PM
JC

1 vote for glass. Thx. I looked at that option yesterday after you mentioned it when out and about at the stores.

Anymore ideas out there?
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:54 PM

I've reinforced areas around the holes for the mounting pegs with upholstery cardboard cut into 4"x4" squares fastened with Gorilla glue.
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:09 PM

You can get door panel cardboard material from an upholstery shop/supplier. You can just cut patch panels and use spray glue to attach them to the old cardboard. If you want it to be really sturdy you can get a sheet of what they call door skin at a lumber yard this is a very thin wood veneer made to reskin a hollow core interior house door, it can be cut and shaped quit easily and is a lot tougher than cardboard.
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:20 PM

have you considered using the sound deadening pads or a boom mat type material ? sound pads can be found at any body shop supply company,the pads have a peel off backing with glue underneath.. just an idea
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:58 PM

I make interior parts out of cellulose reinforced plastic all the time. That would be polyester fiberglass resin soaked over paper or cardboard. You need to be sure what ever you expose to the resin wont melt, ie. door vinyl.
Btw, the only thing holing mine together was the vinyl and carpet. My panels disintegrated on disassembly and the metal tops were barely able to be used as a pattern for new ones.

Last edited by garys 68; August 27th, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old August 29th, 2013, 02:34 PM
New 2 Olds

Sharp door panels. I'd like to see what you ultimately do to strengthen them too. I had mildew on the backs of mine and ended up bleaching them first. I never did come up with good solution to seal them or make them stronger but fiber glass sounds like the best one I've heard. My trunk panels have the same thing, I hope to figure something out. Insulation sounds good but you have to be careful cutting it so the panel won't bulge and will fit flush in the end.
Attached Images
BILD0930.jpg (55.5 KB, 76 views)
BILD0938.jpg (44.0 KB, 73 views)
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:46 PM
JC

Whoa...didnt know so many replys! Thx to all for posting.

dc2x- Thx, I did run that through my mind too, thx for letting me know it worked for you. I got some old door panels, 71-72' versions that are trashed, but have some good sections to cut out. does it cause any protrusion issues once installed?

jag-and yes, I spent an hour at Home depot and was looking at their different options, including different options of backings, as well as that aluminum AC ducting tape that comes in different ratings. I did not see the door skins you speak off though. I will go back to check that out. I like the idea best of putting a thin layer of something over the whole cardboard area and then cut out the holes. Thx.

70supreme - that was actually my very first thought. Fat mat, or very thinnest sound deadening I can find. I like this idea alot too. Just want to make sure it will work first.
I still would need to fix the holes for the mount pegs first.

Gary- the second set of panels I have are similar. I cut the upper metal part entirely off, and Im going to sand blast them and powder coat them for a set Im going to eventually make. I also salvaged the reflectors, and lower stainless trim. And I have zero experience with glass, and afraid Id make a mess of it. Though I know its a great option if you know how to use it. I would have to test it out a few times first...I know myself! I usually make a mess of things like this in the first attempts!

At3 - Well I will update the thread with whatever I do, hopefully it well help you.
I didnt not think of bleaching them, how did you do that?

Does anyone know what is the thinnest deadening out there? I know some Ive seen out there are between 50 - 80 mil but Ive never held it in hand and dont know how thick it really is. Id almost just like the super strong silver adhesive backing with no deadener at all, just to strengthen it. I might buy some small samples just to experiment.

Last edited by JCMC64; August 29th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:59 AM

I just found some scrap sound pads , thickness is 2 credit cards on top of each other, sorry I am at work and didn't bring my micrometer
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:48 AM

If your are needing to rebuild the holes for the clips, fiberglass may be the best way to go. It is VERY easy to use, and can be sanded and drilled.
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Fiberglass is really easy to use. Like I said, just be careful of the catalyst around plastics vinyl.
If originality is not a major issue, I made a set from PVC, foam, and vinyl for about $100.
DSCN0224.jpg
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:34 PM
New 2 Olds

The way I did it with the bleach was just putting it in a spray bottle full strength and spraying it down and letting it soak. Then follow up with a bottle of plain water and a rag dabbing it off and letting it dry. I had to repeat the process several times. More work than really needed for an area you can't see but I wanted to do it the best way I could. It didn't harm anything or warped the panel and turned out pretty nice. I suppose paint could've been used as well but I didn't try that.

Yours looks like the door jambs were pressure washed and it was pushed right behind the panel, also damaging the holes on the edge. That would **** me off so bad finding that because it's so overkill!
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:38 AM

I hate those clips! I've spent way too much time fussing with those things fixing blow outs in cheese-board panels.

Seeing glass suggested here made me think of cutting small mat cloth squares and fusing those buggers in place while they're inserted. Of course if the clip snaps in the future, you're in trouble.
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:27 AM

Door Panel Repair

Looking for an update on which method/product you used and how were the results? Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:06 AM

I just had to use a piece of cardboard to reinforce a hole for a clip, after applying 3M adhesive to both area I clamped pieces together. Actually fiberglass might be easier.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
JC

I havent done anything yet. I restored both front door paneIs and rear panels metal and vinyl wise, and then boxed them up till later. I think I'm going to try sheets of very thin sound deadener or something similar that is super strong...then cut out holes, etc. I got set of junk panels to test ideas on. I'm still some time away to put door panels back on though.

Last edited by JCMC64; June 3rd, 2014 at 08:30 AM.