Cutting Holes in Carpet

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2013, 07:37 PM

Cutting Holes in Carpet

I'm installing my new carpet and I need to cut holes for the seat bolts and seat belt bolts and dimmer switch. Is there an easier/cleaner way to do it other than cutting an "x" with a sharp hobby knife? I'd like to cut a clean hole, but am not aware of a tool that will do so.
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm sure a chassis punch would do it, but why bother when it's cheaper, quicker, and easier with a razor knife?

- Eric
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:31 PM

Soldering Iron!

that was from a previous thread on tips and tricks....didn't come from me but these Olds guys have all the answers!
Tom
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I'm sure a chassis punch would do it, but why bother when it's cheaper, quicker, and easier with a razor knife?

- Eric
I can't make very good round holes with a razor knife. Especially that small. I know that no one will ever see it once the seats and seatbelts are in, but it would bug me. Stupid, I know.
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tom442
that was from a previous thread on tips and tricks....didn't come from me but these Olds guys have all the answers!
Tom
That's an interesting idea, I'll have to try it out on my old carpet and see how well it works. My luck, I'll set the carpet on fire
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM

I always just use a box knife and cut and X where I want a hole, seem to work perfect. If you have to have a hole I use a pair of scissors and clip the points off the X.
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:00 PM

Arch punches are what you seek. Not sure they are available singly. I use them on carpet because I'm **** about some (many?) things. I slip a 2x4 under the carpet (& pad), sight my spot, adjust slightly for the carpet sitting flat if stud sticking up & strike w/ hammer into the wood.

I like the results w/ this technique.
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
Arch punches are what you seek. Not sure they are available singly. I use them on carpet because I'm **** about some (many?) things. I slip a 2x4 under the carpet (& pad), sight my spot, adjust slightly for the carpet sitting flat if stud sticking up & strike w/ hammer into the wood.

I like the results w/ this technique.
That's what I'm talking about. Production Tool sells them individually. Thanks!
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:32 PM

If you really want perfectly circlular holes, you can take the soldering iron method a step further and sharpen the end on a 1/2" or 1"(whatever size you need) copper pipe and heat it up with a torch. Common propane torch would work fine. Not sure if a heat gun would get it hot enough but it may be worth a try if you don't have a torch.
Also, _IF_ your old carpet was the original carpet, look closely at how it was cut at the feet for the seats. They didn't just cut holes, round or square. If I recall, they made a T or H shaped cut so that the carpet lays down flat around the feet.
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by W70442
If you really want perfectly circlular holes, you can take the soldering iron method a step further and sharpen the end on a 1/2" or 1"(whatever size you need) copper pipe and heat it up with a torch. Common propane torch would work fine. Not sure if a heat gun would get it hot enough but it may be worth a try if you don't have a torch.
Also, _IF_ your old carpet was the original carpet, look closely at how it was cut at the feet for the seats. They didn't just cut holes, round or square. If I recall, they made a T or H shaped cut so that the carpet lays down flat around the feet.
I used a soldering iron, worked great.
Old August 5th, 2013, 10:22 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

When I installed the carpet in my Jaguar I used a hole saw with a high speed drill - worked perfectly with a nice round hole. I identified the center with a punch and drilled from the BACK SIDE onto a 2x4 so I didn't turn it into a ball of yarn.
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
I used a soldering iron, worked great.
X2. Just use one that will not be used for solder work again.
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:10 PM

I was told years ago when I did my first carpet install not to cut an actual hole, but just make a straight slit cut with the blade, or an 'H' if necessary to pull the flaps away to the sides of where the seat mounts, etc. would be. Bolts and studs could be worked through the cut. If you mess up and get it in the wrong place, the slit is pretty much invisible in your new carpet. This saved me a couple times!

Terry