need seats

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM

need seats

just bought a 77 cutlass and need better seats. any suggestions?
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:25 AM

seats

just bought a 77 cutlass and need new seats. I'm in the Detroit area. any suggestions?
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:37 AM

What's wrong the seats in the car now? Are they missing altogether or so damaged that they can't be sat in? Or is it just simply that they're torn up and need to be recovered? If you need to replace them, you're going to have to find another, similar car to take them out of, and that means junkyards. But if all you need is reupholstering, you can easily have that done for far less trouble.
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by babygotcutt
just bought a 77 cutlass and need better seats. any suggestions?
Congrats. I merged your two identical posts.

Define "better". More supportive? Better upholstery? What?

Also, what do you have now, bench, conventional buckets, or swivel buckets? Any newer OEM bucket seats can be adapted, but you'll need to fabricate or adapt brackets. Just be sure that the new brackets ultimately attach to the existing hard points in the floor (namely, to the reinforcements under the floor pan) for safety in a crash.
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Congrats. I merged your two identical posts.

Define "better". More supportive? Better upholstery? What?

Also, what do you have now, bench, conventional buckets, or swivel buckets? Any newer OEM bucket seats can be adapted, but you'll need to fabricate or adapt brackets. Just be sure that the new brackets ultimately attach to the existing hard points in the floor (namely, to the reinforcements under the floor pan) for safety in a crash.
nothing extremely wrong. regular bench seats. wanted to maybe change inside to white leather bucket seats with gear in floor. car already primed and may paint dark blue with iridescent.
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
and that means junkyards.
Not around here it doesn't. All the junkyards have closed or have crushed all the old cars. If anyone knows of a junkyard in SE Michigan that has Oldsmobiles from the 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's, please speak up, because I sure don't know of any.

BTW, you could buy these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-buick-s...545195&vxp=mtr

or theses:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Oldsmob...35a9b8&vxp=mtr

or if you like to swivel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1974-19...946e2d&vxp=mtr

These:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1974-19...4a4125&vxp=mtr

ebay also has bucket seat covers (the held on with elastic strap type) for as low as $25 and new bucket seat and back seat upholstery sets for quite a bit more, and Tamraz has new foams for the bucket seats.

I would also suggest a trip to here: http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/index.php as they may be additional help.

Last edited by starfire; August 4th, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
Not around here it doesn't.
Yes, it does. You just have to look outside of southeastern Michigan. Like most of the country, you have to look to the southwest and west.
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:30 PM

Yes, it does. You just have to look outside of southeastern Michigan. Like most of the country, you have to look to the southwest and west.
I meant within easy reach. The problem with the southwest is that the interiors are usually trash from the heat and sun. But they could be refoamed and reuphosltered.
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:49 PM

What it comes down to is, do you want the part or not? The days where you could go to your local junkyard for parts for your 40 or 50-year-old car are long gone.

You go where you have to, even if it's outside of southeastern Michigan or wherever you live, and what I said at the top of this thread is still true. If the guy wants seats for his '77 Olds, he's going to have to find a junkyard car.
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:39 PM

What it comes down to is, do you want the part or not? The days where you could go to your local junkyard for parts for your 40 or 50-year-old car are long gone.

You go where you have to, even if it's outside of southeastern Michigan or wherever you live, and what I said at the top of this thread is still true. If the guy wants seats for his '77 Olds, he's going to have to find a junkyard car.
Or someone who is parting out a car (where's that "poking with a stick" smilie?).