Need seat covers!! 1965 ninety eight

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2013, 11:56 AM

Need seat covers!! 1965 ninety eight

Hello Everyone,
I am in need of some seat covers for my 1965 Olds 98 holiday Sedan.. I have been looking for a while, and cannot find a vendor.. I checked Legendary, and they dont make anything for the large olds.. Does anyone know where i can find this... I dont really have the money to redo the seats right now.. looking for a quick fix..Thanks so much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo[4].jpg (56.0 KB, 40 views)
photo[5].jpg (45.1 KB, 31 views)
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Oldsdruid

If you want original pattern it's gonna be a cut and stitch job at a good trim shop and getting the cloth from somewhere like SMS. It won't be cheap.

You might can get a set thru JC Whitney. I guess their sources make them for that far back. They won't be 100% original pattern or material, but they'll fit the seat frames. Might pay you to get a trim shop to install them for you.
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Administrator

X2 on a good trim shop. Check with some car dealerships in your area that put aftermarket leather in the newer cars. You'll find that some also do custom interiors and can fabricate and install whatever you like reasonably.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

There isn't enough of a market in full size Olds interiors to justify the tooling, production, and warehouse costs for a vendor to stock kits - then multiply that by the number of available colors and patterns. Sorry, but you'll have to get them custom made. SMS Interiors can supply the correct material and door panels, but they aren't cheap or particularly speedy.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:58 PM
"me somebody" site member

Nice car. From the pics, the seats don't look all that bad. But if they really are bothering you and money is an option, maybe you can find an "old-time" local shop that does "tuck and roll" or other non-stock upholstery. Maybe even a marine upholstery shop (being that you are FL, might be lots to choose from). Here in NJ, there's a firm called Rayco that does that kind of work, or simple pleated upholstery (i.e. horizonal lines; I've even seen diamond patterns that may resemble the stock 98 interior) in the material and color of your choice. Might be a lot cheaper than going with stock materials and patterns. Depends on how much of a purist you are.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; May 14th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:16 AM

Thanks guys.. There are a lot of local upholstery and marine upholstery shops in the area. Guess ill be stoping by to get some quotes.. Dont really care about it being correct colors or stitching.. Just want to get rid of the Green and clean up the interior a bit. I appreciate the help..
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:28 AM
"me somebody" site member

Best of luck,. Not all guys are that worried about stock appearance, but I humbly suggest that you could go with something like this (could nicely match the door panels better than simply horizontal lines):

int-01.jpg

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; May 15th, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM

Thanks, that does look good
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Administrator

This is my interior, custom, semi stock looking all stitched from scratch with original door panels recovered. Upholstery shops can work wonders inexpensively.
Attached Images
000_1775.jpg (64.7 KB, 33 views)
000_1769.jpg (57.1 KB, 29 views)
000_06.jpg (61.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by oldcutlass; May 15th, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM

I had a local upholstrey shop redo my interior. He did a good job and it was reasonably priced. You might also consider ordering an interior kit from Kanter or the following website:

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/

I never ordered from Automotive Interiors, but I almost did. They seem to have good prices and their customer service is friendly and informative (I called them with a million questions).
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I had a local upholstrey shop redo my interior.
I did the exact same thing when I got the front seat on my '73 wagon recovered. The shop owner and I went through his catalogs and picked something that looked very close to original. No ordering from SMS or Legendary or any of these places that seem to be the holy grail of interiors but that everyone says take forever to fill orders. He ordered the material, which took a few days. When it came in, I brought the seat over to his shop, and he had it for a week.

Here's the front seat in the condition it was in when I bought the car. The upholstery, which I'm sure was original, was well-worn and quite crispy.

Here's the same seat seat, first as it looked when I had just gotten it back before reinstalling it in the car, and then when finally back in the car (with new carpeting as well). I dare anyone to tell me it doesn't look gorgeous, which it does! He even reused the little buttons along the middle of the seat back, and he recovered the headrests as well.

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:45 AM

Any idea on what its gonna cost to recover the seats??
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by 65oldsninetyeight
Any idea on what its gonna cost to recover the seats??
It cost about $750 for the job on my wagon, but that also included a partial recovering of the smaller of the two second seats as well. Doing the full front seat alone would have been about $600.
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:52 PM

I spent about $1500 for both seats, all 4 doors, and the package tray.
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Administrator

It cost me around $2500 for seats, door panels, headliner, package tray, and carpet, installed.
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:46 AM

www.automotiveinteriors.com seems like to be the ticket.. pricing is pretty reasonable.. Thanks everyone.
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 65oldsninetyeight
www.automotiveinteriors.com seems like to be the ticket.. pricing is pretty reasonable.
I'm curious. Are you planning to purchase the covers and then install them yourself, or are you going to have an upholstery shop do it? If the latter, you might save money if you purchase the material from the same shop that does the installation.

The site you quote looks fine as a source of material, but it's one of many.

Many people on this site think highly of these two vendors:

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/

I've never ordered from SMS, which seems to be the gold standard in many peoples' eyes, but people who have report waiting many months to receive their order. Apparently they're so busy they can't keep up. That speaks well for their reputation, etc., but they're not the only vendor with a good reputation.