Waterproofing interior door panels?

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2013, 02:12 PM
New 2 Olds

Exclamation Waterproofing interior door panels?

I'm looking to upgrade the moisture barrier material on my Olds, it seems like it's about to fall off the doors each time I have the door panels off and didn't do it's job as the pic shows. I see rolls of stuff on ebay I could cut to size and use but was wondering if anyone has anything in particular they like that works well and looks professional.

I bleached the back of my door panels now (maybe overkill but I want it done right)and would like to coat them with some type of paint to keep them from staining or mildewing again. Any old clear coat good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BILD0930.jpg (55.5 KB, 58 views)
Old April 27th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

IIRC in 83 they used clear poly. Cut it to fit and make an X pattern where electrical and screws go through. 6 or 8mm Poly will do the trick.

To get more of the staining out of the cardboard use a 50/50 mix of hot water and bleach. Spray lightly (don't soak). Repeat as needed. By the look of it though you're not going to get that really clean. If you do find a donor car in the boneyard, these panels do come apart in sections.
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:11 PM
New 2 Olds

Thumbs up

Hey Allan, did just that, put it in a spray bottle and let it set, then hit it with a spray bottle of plain water and dabbed it several times. Got it mostly white, there is a little discoloration here and there but it's better and no more mildew. One of those things that nobody will see but it bothers me unless it's just right .. The water barrier the car had was something like a plastic sheet with 1/2" foam adhered to it.
I managed to pop some of those dents out of the side doors too while I was at it but still need to go and buy new..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BILD0938.jpg (44.0 KB, 32 views)
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:48 PM

Stain.

Originally Posted by at3reg98
Hey Allan, did just that, put it in a spray bottle and let it set, then hit it with a spray bottle of plain water and dabbed it several times. Got it mostly white, there is a little discoloration here and there but it's better and no more mildew. One of those things that nobody will see but it bothers me unless it's just right .. The water barrier the car had was something like a plastic sheet with 1/2" foam adhered to it.
I managed to pop some of those dents out of the side doors too while I was at it but still need to go and buy new..
Try this Hydrogen Peroxide 50/50 mix in spray bottle.
Less dangers.
Our GMC motorhome leaked and stained the mattress cover.
Cleaned it up real nice.
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by at3reg98
Glad the door panel is looking better. Let it dry and go at it again.

Now I remember what the watershield was. It was a dual purpose unit. It was about 3/8" gray foam with a sealed barrier on one side. That makes it look like it's got a black plastic sheet attached. Not sure how really effective it was, because foam is going to catch and hold moisture one way or another. I'd be inclined to use some FAT MAT for sound and vapor protection instead. That's if you're going to keep the car and also want to keep it quiet. You could put the vapor barrier on the door, and FATMAT on the inside of the door panel. That would also ensure no more moisture or mold will build up there.
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:36 AM

And remember upon reassy to tuck the bottom of the watershield into the bottom slot in the doors, to guide any water back into the doors, not into the interior. This is a common mistake that both DIYers and "pros" often overlook.
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:55 AM

I have heard POR-15 will work to waterproof the pressed fiber of the inner door panels, it comes in clear too. It would probably help to prevent them warping.

Last edited by 501Paratrooper; April 28th, 2013 at 08:58 AM.