Cleaning up chrome and glass

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Cleaning up chrome and glass

For those that don't know I picked up on a way to clean up metal chrome and window glass. A body shop guy gave me this tip and it works really well. If you have metal that is chrome and want to clean it up use "000" steel wool. It works wonders on getting bugs and junk off windshields also. You can use it on glass and any metal that is chrome. Don't use it on chrome plastic because it will scratch it. also don't use anything but the "000" the others are to abrasive and will scratch it. Another guy told me to use the
"000" in a stainless steel wool, that way the filelings dont lay down in the cracks and start rust spots, which makes since. He said you can get the stainless kind at most gun shops. Just thought I would pass it on. Chris
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Past Administrator

Yes I have known people to use that and I have probably done so myself as well. I discovered rain-x products for glass and really like it, not so much that it makes the glass bead up the water/rain but that it cleans so well. I am still a fan of the magic wadding for the chrome but you are right, the 000 steel cuts through the bugs like a hot knife through "buttah".
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Another good trick to clean glass is to use a clay bar and mix a solution of water and instant detailer wax in a spray bottle,use only a few oz.of wax to a bottle of water shake it up and spray it on then use the clay bar to take out grit, and use microfiber towel to dry. you will amazed how it makes old glass look new.
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I bought one of the Mother's power ***** for a drill. It works great for chrome.
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Don't use the pink Rain-x bug remover in the wintertime, especially in your windshield resovoir. You will have a solid frozen mess.
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:11 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Another tip on cleaning glass is to use newspaper instead of paper towel. I read this years ago in a car magazine. Sounds crazy but it works. I use latex gloves since it will make a mess of your hands. I did not believe it until I tried it. No streaks. They do make 0000 steel wool which is a little finer. You can get it at paint stores like Sherwin Williams.
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM

I believe the newsprint makes glass look so good because the ink comes off and leaves a sheen on the glass. You need to make sure it is black and white newsprint though. At least, that is what I heard.
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Occupant Ilied Industries

I use non-ammonia window cleaner (Stoner Invisible Glass) and cheap/free newspapers (Thrifty Nickel) and detail in the crevices with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. As for chrome and stainless, I'm cheap and sneak an SOS scrubby pad from under our sink.