air vent knob removal

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2016, 12:49 PM

air vent **** removal

I need to replace the air vent ***** on my 1972 cutlass under the dash near side cowl.
Not sure how to get them off?
I can get them to turn, but they don't come off.
They must be pressed on.
So I thought I would ask here, like I always do when I need help.
Barb.
Old August 13th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Old School Olds

Barbra, I'm not real sure about the vent *****, but check for a small hole
with a very small spot for a tiny allen wrench to fit into. If you look on the underside
of your slide ***** for the heater control, you will see what I mean. Good luck.
Old August 13th, 2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Barbra, I'm not real sure about the vent *****, but check for a small hole
with a very small spot for a tiny allen wrench to fit into. If you look on the underside
of your slide ***** for the heater control, you will see what I mean. Good luck.
The only ***** that have set screws are the heater and A/C controls and the wiper switch.

On non A/C cars, the vent ***** need to be cut or pried off. They are a press fit from the factory.
Old August 13th, 2016, 03:02 PM

Thanks, Should have know it wouldn't be easy.
Then I'll have to figure out how to put the new ones on I ordered.
Thanks again, Barb.
Old August 13th, 2016, 08:39 PM

Use good wire cutters, etc to crush them/cut them up to remove them. The shaft they slip over has circular barbs/flares on it so once the originals were pushed on they weren't coming off (without destroying them).

As far as installation of the new ones.......you can try to "test fit" them but you'll probably quickly realize there's no easy way to just push the new ones on all the way down these barbed (sorry....no pun intended) shafts. You can CAREFULLY drill out the inside of the new chrome ***** to gain a little room and then apply some epoxy to the inside before slipping them on.

Don't drill them out so they slip on SUPER EASY.....just enough to make a slip fit with some reasonable effort. That's better than trying to hold the metal shafts with a wrench (and trying to hammer on the *****) and having those metal shafts get chewed up from the serrations on a wrench (and/or marring the new chromed plastic ***** from hammering).

Once you get the old ***** cut off you'll see how these flared metal shaft ends prevented the originals from coming off easily.

HAH!!....add this....see pic below. Sometime back I had to remove some of the original ***** and remember hacksawing one off so I'd have a "sample"/cutaway version in case anyone wondered how they are retained. You can see from the pic there are some slight "ridges" inside the **** where it was pressed on over the ridged shaft.

Thanks.....this cut up part finally came in handy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6865.JPG (338.7 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by 70Post; August 13th, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old August 14th, 2016, 08:50 AM

Thanks for spending the time," Picture helps" you're information really helps me.
I'll do just like you said.
Barb. PS. What a great picture.

Last edited by rmoths; August 14th, 2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old August 14th, 2016, 04:07 PM

Also - if you drill out the new vent ***** too much then when you slip them on they might sag a bit or not go on perfectly perpendicular to the shaft. If that happens you are fine....just wait for the epoxy to set up slightly and then use your hands to reorient them in the correct position before the epoxy really sets up firm. Once the epoxy sets up they will stay in whatever final position/orientation you adjusted them to.

Pay attention to any excess epoxy that may come out onto the exposed part of the shaft while pressing on the new ***** and remove the excess before it sets up.
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:10 AM

Well the replacement chrome ***** came in, very nice. Got them on Ebay for $19.00.
I used a dremel hand grinder with a flat stone attachment to grind down the old ***** until I could pry them off. I drilled out the new *****, "just slightly" and they could be pushed on and are holding without any glue.
So, Job Well Done.
Thanks for the help, I couldn't have done this without you.
Barb. PS, Now the top cable on drivers side is not working.
Looks like a big job to get at them, Never really used them it's a convertible.
So I think I'll leave it for now.

Last edited by rmoths; October 22nd, 2016 at 06:18 AM.