1970 442 hardtop/holiday coupe package tray question

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2016, 09:38 AM

1970 442 hardtop/holiday coupe package tray question

I need to order a rear package tray (black) for my 70 442 coupe. The car came with a rear speaker and it has the rear window defogger (blower) option too. My original tray was gone when I got the car so I have nothing to go by but I've seen rear package trays for sale with speaker cutouts on both sides (mesh) and with no speaker cutouts - what about cars that do have the blower and speaker options, what is the proper way to go?

I did speak with another member here who only had the speaker option on his car and he had Legendary do a special order package tray with only one speaker cutout. I will be giving them a call to discuss my problem but I wanted to see what other members may have done if they had the blower option when they replaced their package tray.

Tom
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tdhill01
I did speak with another member here who only had the speaker option on his car and he had Legendary do a special order package tray with only one speaker cutout. I will be giving them a call to discuss my problem but I wanted to see what other members may have done if they had the blower option when they replaced their package tray.

Tom

I don't know why this would be "special order". The factory only offered a single rear speaker, even with stereo (the front speaker was the other stereo channel). When ordered, the package tray was mesh. There were holes for the speaker under the mesh. The speaker was installed below the metal package tray, inside the trunk. If you got the defogger, the tray was cut to fit it on the other side.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:27 PM

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply. All the package trays I have seen either have speaker cutouts on both sides or no speaker cutouts. If you can point me to a vendor that sells only one side with the speaker cutout I would appreciate it.

Tom
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tdhill01
Hi Joe, thanks for the reply. All the package trays I have seen either have speaker cutouts on both sides or no speaker cutouts. If you can point me to a vendor that sells only one side with the speaker cutout I would appreciate it.

Tom
Apparently all the repro houses are selling trays designed for two speakers in deference to what people want to install instead of what was factory correct. The cutouts are simply holes below the mesh and won't really show once installed, and if you plan to install the defogger that will require you to cut that area out anyway.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Thanks Joe.