Jamesbo's toasted 69 H/O Warning this will make you sick

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Very sorry to read about this fire and your loss. I always keep my battery cables snug, but not super tight because the only way to stop the source of an electrical short sometimes is to disconnect the battery. Good luck, Keep us posted about how you are treated by the insurance company and what company it is.
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Just met with the adjuster et al. They seem to think it will be a total but are going thru the repair drill cost estimates anyway.

They also post pics on some kind of salvage live auction to determine the salvage value.

Anybody know where I can look at thatsite ?

I don't belieive, I'll no squat for at least a week.
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Grown Azz Kid

The site is more than likely Copart.com

That is where mine was listed, never did find out who it went to or its final fate.

A week or 2 sounds about right. Mine took about 2 weeks to settle. Also keep in mind you can skew the repair cost a little by determining the shop it goes to as the labor rate from shop to shop can be different as well as potential mark up on parts. I would also ask some shops what the cash price for the job would be as that can be different from what the cost to the insurance company would pay. Also keep in mind you can buy the parts and have a shop install them to protect from mark ups.

What was the car insured for? If totaled it would have to be roughly 75% of the value unless fires are treated different then collisions.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Jamesbo, what do you think of this one?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/1884667820.html
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Thanks Rob,

She's a beauty,Looks identical to mine except I didn't have a T shifter handle and mine had an 8 track. Mine also had a fake Delco battery cover and the a/c mufler wasn't insulated.

Boy it's wiered to look at mine then and now.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Rob, I saw that one last night as I looked for one as a refference. I think he is going to have to upgrade to the convertible.

http://www.specialtysales.com/1969-o...42--c-2502.htm
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I'm speechless. When did this happen?

Losing one to fire is unnerving. Were it me, I'd take the insurance settlement, buy it back, part it out, and let the crusher have what's left, but I'm kinda funny about fire and animal damage to my vehicles. Yah, enough time and money can always put it back, but it's just never the same- especially with fire damage.

Keep us posted. Just seeing the pictures has made me queasy. I can't imagine having to deal with this.
i never had an enignie fire to deal with. But I have to deal with my wrecked blue 1968 W-34 Toronado wreck 7 years ago (60x80 building fell on it, plus a bunch of Stafires and calssic Oldsmobiles got nailed), then the mokey buisness with my silver Toronado last May(the kid DROPPED my silver 68 Olds).
This has not been a good year for classic Oldsmobiles!
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:42 PM

that makes me sick i had to deal with a fire on my blazer. as far as the insurance company goes they are prob gonna see what they can get for the car for salvage and the price you can buy it back for will prob be around that. most insurance companies that we deal with will say that if its totalled they will give you a check for X amount and since you want to buy it back they will give you a check for X minus deductible minus the buy back price. and idk about your policy but some times you can negotiate value of your car cause the insurance company is gonna try to get buy cheap. just be nice to them then if they start hassling you be a hard a$$ with them and they normally will be more accomidating. i would fix it skinning the roof is prob the hardest part. as far as the floors go any thing that the paint is burnt off of will need to be painted. it wont be as hard to fix as it looks. like red green says remember keep your stick on the ice im pullin for ya were all in this together.

Last edited by gbodyfan; August 11th, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM

I just read this thread and actually got knots in my stomach looking at the damage to your car. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

I have always been worried about a fire in my Starfire because when I bought it the wiring harness was all melted from the previous owner. Everything has been repaired but I remove the battery cable every time I park it in the garage just in case........
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Olds + Mopar = Happiness

VERY Sorry to hear about this such a beautiful car.... so sad to look at this.
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
I have yet to see paint stick on metal that was in a fire. The metallurgy changes and it just ain't the same. I have tried many different ways and the paint never adheres properly. Also, the burnt plastic smell seems to permeate anything around it.
J-bo- Dave's reasons are why I personally would not attempt a restoration on a burned car. I too have seen many unsuccessful attempts at painting burned metal, and the smell would be there forever. One change of the weather and it would come back.

I hate losing one of the remaining few too, but even on a car like this, practicality has to figure in.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Crazy Canuck

This was such a fantastic car and it is very sad to see this happen. Makes me question a lot of things about my car. Don't have a fire extinguisher but will after today.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:34 AM

My grand pa use to say, "It's a ill wind that blows no good"

If nothing else my misfortune has brought some attention to the possiblities of fires and made some of my Olds buds buy fire extinguishers.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Jamesbo, what do you think of this one?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/1884667820.html

Jambesbo. Make sure and show THIS add to the Insurance adjuster stating that THIS car is a "replacement" for Value
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
Rob, I saw that one last night as I looked for one as a refference. I think he is going to have to upgrade to the convertible.

http://www.specialtysales.com/1969-o...42--c-2502.htm

Very nice.. if you want the drop top.. tell the insurance you will take this in exchange..
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Hopefully the insurance company won't be hard to work with. I've only heard good things about classic car insurance companies like Haggerty. BTW, what insurance company do you have if you don't mind me asking Jamesbo?
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:07 AM

I'm a little hesitant to say publicly since I just called on of their employees a "moron" on another thread

She kept asking me if the car was overheating.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
She kept asking me if the car was overheating.
Overheating starting a fire under the dash and burning out the interior and leaving the engine bay perfect?

I think the 'm' word (and a few others) is in perfect order here...
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:11 AM

My experience is that the person that answers the phone at the insurance company is reading his/her questions from a standard check list and most don't have a clue of what your talking about. They are there just to gather facts for the adjuster. She most likely doesn't know how to lift the hood on her own car.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Jamesbo,
While I don't know you and you don't know me, from the before pictures I have seen this was one of the nicest '69 H\O's I've seen, granted I've only ever seen 1 in real life. These are beautiful cars and rare if you decide it is too much work for you please make sure it goes to someone who will restore it to its former glory. My condolences on your lose, it must be like losing a member of the family.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM

Hey Jamesbo,
Sorry to see your car, but glad you are OK. Sounds like you have everything you might need if you decide to put it back together, but let me know if I can help. I might even have some time to help pull it apart come September.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:45 PM

My condolences.
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Well Jamesbo, I don't post here much, I got the link from OP. Just wow. I am sorry for the loss. Not many miles of enjoyment out of the resto. Have to wonder if something wasn't done just quite so... or if inferior repros were to blame. I'm not saying run right out and point fingers.. no. I'd like to know what the issue was so WE don't make the same mistake buying that particular part, or install something a particular way.

I'm all for kill switches and extinguishers, but in your case you did all you could. Even if you pulled the battery cable I'm betting she still would have the same fate.

In my humble unprofessional opinion, a rebody is in order. Seems to be what it all boils down to if you are replacing roof and cowls and the like. If you can buy nearly every bit of sheet metal out of a catalog, what earthly difference is it to go that route? Will it be a 1969 H/O? Absolutely. All of your parts will bolt right to it, making it as authentic as if you cut the roof and welded in a new one. Its not really any different from the 1966 w-30 at the nationals with hardly anything left to it but a clear title and a vin plate. I bet that car gets re-bodied.

Yep, I'm sure its a taboo subject in some eyes, but its going to save a ton of cash in labor and cleaning the burnt stuff away.

Just a thought.

John
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
J-bo- Dave's reasons are why I personally would not attempt a restoration on a burned car. I too have seen many unsuccessful attempts at painting burned metal, and the smell would be there forever. One change of the weather and it would come back.

I hate losing one of the remaining few too, but even on a car like this, practicality has to figure in.
Thanks Rocket,

If I cut off the top and use new doors, there would be hadly any fire damaged metal remaining on the car. Like I said, the hood cowl and trunk are fine.

Whatcha think?
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:02 AM

The remainder of the damage would be on the inside quarters, firewall and floor, but some good wirebrushing & sanding might make some POR15 stick.

I suspect there is less damage on the floor, due to reduced oxygen for the fire.

How do the upper edges of the outer quarters look?
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:43 AM

olds luvr how is half a car a upgrade ? jamesbo could just cut the top off this one and make it a drop top we had a guy who did that to a 69 gto judge in my town in the mid 80's
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Well Firefrost he is going to have to cut his top anyways so why bother putting one back on the guy that cut the top on that judge has to be regretting that one I'm sure. I know convertibles are worth more but not sure if home made ones apply to that rule. maybe where the roof is caved in Jamesbo can just put in a power roof like the 72's

But when you are looking at 1 of only 2 or convertibles built....that is an upgrade
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I thought I could stir some things up with that. How insensitive of you to mention power roof in the presets of jamesbo I think a crank open might be more appropriate at this time.
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The remainder of the damage would be on the inside quarters, firewall and floor, but some good wirebrushing & sanding might make some POR15 stick.

I suspect there is less damage on the floor, due to reduced oxygen for the fire.

How do the upper edges of the outer quarters look?
There a hole where the plastic vent thiny was but really not that bad
The door tire pressure label is still in place
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Man, I am so sorry about your loss. Keep your head up...
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM

to go along with what others have said about fixing burned sheetmetal, i wouldn't waste one minute worring about fixing that body shell. i'd be on the lookout for a decent 69 body to fix, swap the trim and vin plates, and be done with it.

sorry about your car man. if i remember by one of your earlier posts, it doesn't seem like you had much time to enjoy it. 600 miles? that sucks.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

o my...I am so sorry to see the pics

very sorry for your loss
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jamesbro:

I was just thinking here. I think you need to get it on a trailer and bring it to Richard (Gearshead78) who is very near me. I can't think of anybody that would do a better job. Since he is selling his cars, the timing could be right. Heck, I would make time to go and help him for free. Of course we need to get Richard's input or you could just show up in his driveway. Rob is close by and would probably come and help. We are only about 800 miles away. Obviously Richard has to be onboard but it is a thought.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by oldsca
This was such a fantastic car and it is very sad to see this happen. Makes me question a lot of things about my car. Don't have a fire extinguisher but will after today.
Please do!
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Question

Question/suggestion:
What about making this 1969 H/O a ragtop? Granted you would have to brace the frame.
A have a super good friend who knows how to do this. Henry does this all the time, so he would be a great source.
I believe out fo the 906 1969 Hurst/Olds, two very convertibles (I think LindaV has one).
Just a thought.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks guys,

I've started a new thread in the paint section to learn as much as I can about painting a fire damaged car. I'm still waiting on the adjuster, but would like to gather as much information as possible before I have to make a decision

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...not-paint.html

I sincerely appreciate all the input.

Kindest regards,

Jamesbo
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:37 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by crzyjef
Jambesbo. Make sure and show THIS add to the Insurance adjuster stating that THIS car is a "replacement" for Value
na go with this one in my opinion,

135,000 dollar hurst olds
Old August 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think you need to get it on a trailer and bring it to Richard (Gearshead78) who is very near me. I can't think of anybody that would do a better job. Since he is selling his cars, the timing could be right. Heck, I would make time to go and help him for free. Of course we need to get Richard's input or you could just show up in his driveway. Rob is close by and would probably come and help. We are only about 800 miles away. Obviously Richard has to be onboard but it is a thought.
Good thoughts indeed... I would be happy to help if I could. I know a little about interior resto, but nada on paint.

Of course I had wild thoughts of Richard turning "Booger" into my own custom wagon...
Old August 14th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Devastating Jamesbo, I"m sorry for your loss. If it were anything but the 'Holy Grail' of Musclecars, I would say write it off. This is one of those unique circumstances where I would condone a 're-body' since you know the legitimate history of the car BUT If it were me I would try to salvage what you have. If you replace the roof section, that's the majority of your paint adhesion concerns taken care of. I know the 'experts' that many have mentioned will have good advice. Good Luck.
Old August 14th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Registered Luser

Very sorry Jamesbo.....sad indeed....not hard to fix, but definitely needs to be done thoroughly...like WTony said, needs to come off the frame! The body shell could be chemically submerged, along with the doors then submerged in an e-coat...once back to the shop, cut off the roof skin, and install new! This method would save weeks of time hand stripping and it would get every inch and crevice of the car stripped so as not to worry about rust from the inside out....after that, it's just refinishing and install of new parts! Like Richard said, not that hard of a job...once all the debris is cleaned out, it wont look as daunting, plus with the dip, no need to worry about fire smell......http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...8wml1p5BEoT5_A........
I have had a few of my shops use this method....time saving, thorough, and really not expensive....besides, insurance check will easily cover it....If not interested, I'm sure several people on this site would be interested in purchasing and resurrecting this rare beauty....LET IT RISE FROM THE ASHES!!!

Last edited by ent72olds; August 15th, 2010 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Jamesbo's toasted 69 H/O Warning this will make you sick